Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 07:48 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
"those who don't have insurance because they don't want it" will pay a fee for the privilege of not having to buy health care; not sure what you're talking about.

What do you think is the purpose of the Health Insurance Exchange?

Give the health insurance companies some credit for ingenuity

Have you seen the commercial by some pro-health insurance reform group, that shows a mansion on a hill, and the voiceover says, "This is [Wilford Brimley]'s house. Wilford is the CEO of [Big Health Insurance Company]. He makes fifty-seven thousand dollars."

(Beat. Beat. Beat.)

"A week."

That's what you're defending, roysold.
"those who don't have insurance because they don't want it" will pay a fee for the privilege of not having to buy health care

You surely understand that all those people, about 10 million or them, who opt for lifestyle instead of healthcare because they are young enough that they don't think they will be sick do so because they are free to do so. These bills that the Dems are proposing all call for penalizing those who use that freedom and I just can't hold with something like that. Fining them because they don't have health insurance is a little more than I can stand.

This Exchange is nothing more than smoke blown at us to make us believe that public option is something that can be chosen if one likes it. How long before the insurance companies are all gone because they can't compete with the government that can tax to make up for any mistakes. Smoke really bothers me when it starts floating toward me.

I really don't think many insurance companies will be able to stand up to the government. This is not in any democratic at all. When a bill says that if you don't have insurance you have to take public option I see what is meant. Public option is just the road to socialized medicine once everybody has government insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 01:39 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
When a bill says that if you don't have insurance you have to take public option I see what is meant.
Maybe Glenn says that, but neither of the bills says that.

Are your deflective posts supposed to be advertisements for the lobbyists' success?

Old 10-10-2009, 01:43 AM

1,374 posts, read 1,305,473 times
He doesn't need the money, but loves the attention and instant fame over most idiot Americans voting for him. He is bad as Carter or worst. Al Gore the Crook got an NB, so why not Obama.

Old 10-10-2009, 09:06 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,196,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellness View Post
He doesn't need the money, but loves the attention and instant fame over most idiot Americans voting for him. He is bad as Carter or worst. Al Gore the Crook got an NB, so why not Obama.
Huh?

Anyway, back to the OP...

Trying to find numbers of actual lobbyist in Washington isn't as easy as it might seem at first. I did come across this piece to which I haven't verified the numbers yet but suspect they are in the ball park at least.
http://www.managedcaremag.com/archiv....lobbying.html
Quote:
Such is a day in the life of one of 17,800 registered Washington lobbyists upon whom interest groups spent $1.56 billion last year to sway Congress and the executive branch — numbers that are grossly understated due to the narrow definition of "registered lobbyist," says Jeffrey Birnbaum, author of The Lobbyists: How Influence Peddlers Get Their Way in Washington.
As to how this effects the health care debate, the following bit kind of blew me away.

An estimated 40 percent of those 17,800 lobbyists promote health care agendas, according to James Albertine, president of the Alexandria, Va.-based American League of Lobbyists. To put it another way, there are 13 health care lobbyists for each of the 535 members of Congress. Among their most passionate causes this year are Medicare reimbursements and tort reform.

When facing such well funded and formidable numbers, it is amazing that members of Congress just don't wear a price tag.

Old 10-10-2009, 09:22 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,742,907 times
It is the excessive power of Congress that needs to be eliminated. The lobbyists are just a natural result of this power. If the power of Congress to write discriminatory law is eliminated the manipulators will disappear. Why is this hard to understand?

Complaining about ants gathering at food scraps without picking up the food is completely ignorant and unproductive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies