Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2009, 10:19 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,090,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Glory glory Halleluia!! Just when you thought they could not be anymore saintly, we find out the little Mrs' roots lead to the slaves and here she is in the White House !NYT: First lady’s slave roots revealed - The New York Times- msnbc.com So what? What is the significance of it?

Now we know where her hatred for America is founded. She's justanother one that will use her own ancestors past to lean on for sympathy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 10:31 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
There is no significance. Might be if they were also smart, and leading the country. As it is, they are just running it into the ground. They couldn't care less about America. They want to destroy it.
You love making utterly asinine comments don't you.....

Old 10-08-2009, 10:39 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,574,696 times
Huh?

What is the point to this thread?

Her ancestors were slaves. Got that...but what is the point?

Old 10-08-2009, 10:40 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,963,973 times
Default Whose Her Daddy!?!?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Glory glory Halleluia!! Just when you thought they could not be anymore saintly, we find out the little Mrs' roots lead to the slaves and here she is in the White House !NYT: First lady’s slave roots revealed - The New York Times- msnbc.com So what? What is the significance of it?
I think Michelle should go on the Murry Povich Show and really find out whose her daddy!

Old 10-08-2009, 11:33 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,112,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin13 View Post
If you have to ask, there is absolutely no chance in the world that you would ever understand.
Isn't that the truth!!!!!

Old 10-08-2009, 11:41 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,112,238 times
[quote=camping!;11105216]I think its cool and extremely relevent. After all, it wasn't that long ago that the Obamas would not have been able to stay in certain hotels in the DC area - and now they live in the white house.
To me, this is an example on how great our country actually is ----- lets see this happen (without a war) in most other countries.

My heart did break though when I heard of little Marvina(?) -- what kind of monster could sell a six year old girl?![/QUOTE]

I too have been thinking about poor little Marvina and all the other little ones that were sold like cattle. And I've also been thinking about the parents of these little ones. Just take a look at your own children and try to imagine the horror of having your child taken and sold away from you...frightened...calling for you...and there is nothing you could do to keep your precious baby safe. What evil, evil people these owners of human beings were.

Old 10-09-2009, 01:09 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,324,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CometVoyager View Post
I think Michelle should go on the Murry Povich Show and really find out whose her daddy!
Who's her daddy?

Old 10-09-2009, 07:19 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
I do know from personal experience that tracking that slave ancestor down to a proper name is a feat in itself. Slaves were considered chattel and many times were listed on invoices, inventories, and census rolls simply as "female, 18 yrs." or something similar. And if it is not your personal story, it's hard to imagine what it feels like to have that history that's peculiar to you. Yes, the media is making a big deal of it, but then it's a piece of Americana that many Americans are not even remotely aware of---the historical void of having no ancestral tongue or cuisine or costume that is your very own, passed down through generations.
My own family could tell me about 3 generations back and I was able to go a couple more to 1850 and then...the wall of commercial human trafficking.
In the case of Edward Ball, his family had a trove of records of 170 years in the rice plantation business that helped HIM find the descendants of his family's slaves (and found some relatives in the process). He was able to make connections in many cases when he met the people due to oral histories on their side. Many of the people still in South Carolina knew the names of the plantations their ancestors had served on, for example.

It was a fascinating book, plus he gives a lot of history that I didn't know. For instance, at the end of the American Revolution about 12,000 black people ran away from the South Carolina plantations and the British took them on their ships in Charleston Harbor. Some went to Jamaica and others all the way back to England. Some of those who went to England formed a group and left and established a settlement in Africa.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:23 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I think its cool and extremely relevent. After all, it wasn't that long ago that the Obamas would not have been able to stay in certain hotels in the DC area - and now they live in the white house.
To me, this is an example on how great our country actually is ----- lets see this happen (without a war) in most other countries.
There was a war of sorts, with casualties, plus federal intervention.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:27 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
The meaning of this is that there is a descendant of black slaves in the WHITE house. That very fact is anathema to some and just unacceptable to others. It also means we value individual talent more than skin color.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies