Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 05:29 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,316,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemeatball View Post
I have a housewife, Greatday.

Well - she can go with you or stay "here"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 05:30 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,877,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
My cousin in the Czech Republic received 2 years of maternity leave at 3/4 pay, and her job was held for her. Some countries understand the importance of family. Some, like ours, don't.
Same in Germany, but I think it was at 80% of the pay. We need it too!

Old 10-15-2009, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Because:

1) The employer is hiring people, not robots;
2) The employer is a member of the community, as well;
3) Without workers, there are no employers;
4) The cost of contributing to the community--through temp workers or whatever--is the cost of doing business.

It's insane to build a society in which 6-week-old infants are forced into $1000/month day care and are raised by strangers. All because employers think that their employees are owned by them. Revolting.
It is not the employers responsibility to provide for YOUR child that YOU have VOLUNTARILY chosen to have.

Old 10-15-2009, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
Do we expect anything less from a country that obviously cares little about the uninsured... why would they care that a mother gets no maternity leave.
If the Mom has sick leave or vacation time coming, the Mom can use that to pay for the time off. If the mom does not have SL or PLT, then she can have off but, not get paid for it.

Old 10-15-2009, 05:34 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,590,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
Forcing businesses to pay for labor they do not receive would put a lot of companies out of business. People who worked for those businesses would lose jobs. How would that help families?

Would you agree with providing tax incentives to companies that would allow them to offset the cost of paying mothers for extended maternity? That would be a solution that I could agree with depending on the way it was put together.

Don't mistake me for not caring about mothers and their newborns. But if you force expenditures that some companies would not be able to afford, you put a burden on more families than you would if nothing changed. I have worked for mostly small businesses my entire life and many of them run on razor thin margins. I was laid off in Tennessee from a job because fuel price increases hammered the bottom line. It was a 3 location business and 1 was closed completely and the other locations had staff cut to a minimum. The owners were not rich people at all.
Right. I can understand where you are coming from up to a point though. I can for sure agree with tax cuts to help these mothers with maternity leave. Why wouldn't I? I just think it is very important for the mother to have some sort of income too. Maybe half of her paycheck? Or something? Maybe something could be worked out.

Perhaps if it is a big corporation, they can afford it. But there should be an alternative for small business owners. Do doubt about it.

I understand the need for businesses but I also understand the need for a mother or father to be home with the child in the early years of their lives. I never said you did not care about newborns and their mothers.

Old 10-15-2009, 05:41 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,646,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Right. I can understand where you are coming from up to a point though. I can for sure agree with tax cuts to help these mothers with maternity leave. Why wouldn't I? I just think it is very important for the mother to have some sort of income too. Maybe half of her paycheck? Or something? Maybe something could be worked out.

Perhaps if it is a big corporation, they can afford it. But there should be an alternative for small business owners. Do doubt about it.

I understand the need for businesses but I also understand the need for a mother or father to be home with the child in the early years of their lives. I never said you did not care about newborns and their mothers.
Even large businesses can't always afford it. It should be encouraged though, and the more help families could get in helping spend time with their babies, the better. Tax incentives seem to be one of the best options IMO. It would allow companies to give their employees a better standard of living, without automatically assuming they can afford to do it and stay in business. Protecting jobs is a good thing for families too.

Old 10-15-2009, 05:46 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,641,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Do they also provide leave at 3/4 for someone to take care of an elderly parent? To take a vacation?

Why does the definition of family have to include kids?

Why can't we understand that EVERYONE is important, whether you have kids or not.
Let's just tack it onto the healthcare bill.

3-4 months paid maternity/eldercare leave.

Vacations are already paid for by your employer. The longer you work there the more days you "earn".

Old 10-15-2009, 05:49 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,590,550 times
Quote:
Even large businesses can't always afford it. It should be encouraged though, and the more help families could get in helping spend time with their babies, the better. Tax incentives seem to be one of the best options IMO. It would allow companies to give their employees a better standard of living, without automatically assuming they can afford to do it and stay in business. Protecting jobs is a good thing for families too.
Our society today (in my opinion) is too motivated by the dollar. Back in the day, they used to have more family togetherness and they used to have like family game nights on Friday nights. They would have dinner together.

That HARDLY happens now. If I ever have a family, I promise that I will put them before any business. I will put aside a day of the week where we all play games and talk. We will have dinner together.

I see what some people my age are doing and it upsets me. As part of being the younger generation of America, we need to get UP AND ENSURE that our countries roots and foundations will be alive by the time we become older.

But sadly, there is a 53% drop out rate. They would rather party. They would rather not work and sit on welfare. Agh.

This is why I am passionate about family togetherness. If the parents are not there, then who will be? Put all business aside for a moment and think. It is a sad future for the US because young people simply do not care about anything other than their ipods and facebook accounts.

A childs foundation is very important. Especially in the first few years. I believe mothers should be more protected in this sense. It is in my opinion that they should get 6-12 months (depending on the job and skills involved) off after they have the baby. Hormones in the mother can still go crazy and they need to get readjusted. As far as income, perhaps half the income might be fair. Or as you said, tax breaks.

Old 10-15-2009, 05:57 PM

90,296 posts, read 120,991,693 times
Quote:
Agreed. Other countries are doing this. We should look at what they're doing, instead of saying "it can't be done".

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Let's just tack it onto the healthcare bill.

3-4 months paid maternity/eldercare leave.

Vacations are already paid for by your employer. The longer you work there the more days you "earn".
Not everywhere.

Old 10-15-2009, 06:19 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,641,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Agreed. Other countries are doing this. We should look at what they're doing, instead of saying "it can't be done".

Not everywhere.
Vacations are NOT part of the lower wage jobs which are entry level to bigger and better things. P/T has no vacation either.

But these types of jobs NEVER had and were never meant to be someone's full time work and use that to support a family.

That is what has changed over the years. P/T work was that..part time with little to no benefits. Same with the minimum wage..they were and I say were just the entry into the job market. Now it's "their job" for life.

Lack of education ? Lack of motivation ? Heck I don't know but something in society has changed where everyone wants everything no matter where they stand in the pecking order.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies