Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2009, 05:15 PM

654 posts, read 466,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
What I find particularly amusing are the people who attack all of the evils of big business while never mentioning or realizing that the biggest and most oppressive of all businesses is the government itself.
Of course they don't. They are government apologists. I have also pointed many times that our agricultural subsidies, corporate protectionist policies, and the policies of international institutions such as the International Monetary Fund and the World Bank are causing an increase in poverty in developing countries.

But they don't want to hear it. Instead, they blame the free market for poverty spreading in developing nations when its actually caused by governments, crony capitalists, and global institutions.

I have no problem saying that government does provide some beneficial services, but it also causes problems.

Old 10-24-2009, 05:22 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,236,558 times
Quote:
Libs- Why are you a Lib?
That's the good troll way of beginning a thread, marxist/leftist, name calling, and I'm sure that the ORIGINAL meaning of liberal is quite different today, but that's ok, we can all see how right wing brainwashing works, the stupidity of the thread is excused considering it's source.

Old 10-24-2009, 05:26 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,744,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre57 View Post
That's the good troll way of beginning a thread, marxist/leftist, name calling, and I'm sure that the ORIGINAL meaning of liberal is quite different today, but that's ok, we can all see how right wing brainwashing works, the stupidity of the thread is excused considering it's source.
it's because these young-uns think that American history started in January of 1981.

Old 10-24-2009, 05:31 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGACK View Post
The answer to your question is clear: poor education, lack of innate intelligence and a congenital predisposition to decide all issues solely on the emotion of the moment. Liberals are essentially children in all respects and need to be treated as such. With frequent corporal punishment - sometimes just for the fun of it!
This quote is from early in the thread, but I'd like to respond anyway. Who preys more on emotion than Hannity, O'Reilly, Beck, et al, who are constantly ferreting out some sob story about crime victims (the perps are always minorities), people who got terrible health care at the hands of the government, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
I see your point but tend to disagree. Let's face it, Liberals are generally younger and the posts reflect that. I agree that the original post was pretty much a bait but more mature respondents would use it to their advantage rather than resorting to childish retorts. I'm sure the responses sound quite clever and witty in their heads but then again most children are fairly easy to amuse.

I actually enjoy a good debate with a liberal who can behave like an adult but all too often, and particularly on this forum, folks just can't seem to refrain from the schoolyard antics.
Since the OP was pretty much a bait, I think a lot of us took it in the spirit in which it was intended. The childish retorts are not limited to liberals; the cons are great at it too, perhaps even better than the libs. And they get away with it more often. There is one con who frequently tells people to get a life; when I did that recently, I got an infraction!

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Be sure to let me know when government does something to earn this blind faith you have in them.
I find it funny that so many who are so contemptuous of government are so gung-ho military. What is the military if not government?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
That is why you believe in PC language, legalization of drugs, "free love", gay rights, "internationalism", hate the church, are pro NAFTA, and are for illegal immigration. These views, if presented to a rational person in the 1920s, would have you committed to a mental institution. Now they are "normal" liberal views.

You have been played for a "useful idiot" by the marxists and apparently do not understand the significance of this. I guess if I was played for a patsie, I would be a little angry. Read the links. At least you will know why your masters fed you this pablum. More knowledge is better.
I favor neutral language; I don't like terms such as "Mongolian Idiot" for people with Down Syndrome any more than I like women called "girls", "broads", etc. I detest the N word, and its realted words. I hate the term "retard". Does that make me a liberal? I don't think so!

I am opposed to the legalization of any more drugs; I think the reason there are more problems with the legal drugs (alcohol and tobacco) is precisely b/c they are legal and legalization would not help anything despite what many people think to the contrary.

I'm not sure what you mean about "free love". If that means people should be free to love whomever they fall in love with, I'm all for it. If it means sleeping around, not so much.

Again, I'm not sure what you mean by "internationalism". If you mean we are all part of this planet and have to co-operate, again, I'm all for it. If you mean one government, one culture, that type of thing, then no.

"Hate the church"? Which church? I love my church, the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. I have no problems with anyone practicing any relgion according to their belief system.

"Pro-NAFTA"? I have to admit to not knowing enough about it to be have a strong opinion. We have trade agreements with lots of countries; I don't know why we shouldn't with our neighbors.

"For illegal immigration"? Well, I believe in legal immigration, but I acknowledge that when my families came over from Europe, there weren't a lot of immigration laws. They arrived here for the most part penniless, too, and unable to speak English. I think it should be easier to legally immigrate to the US from Mexico.

So does that make me a "useful idiot"? Well, I guess.

I would have never self-identified as a liberal until I started posting on this board. The mean-spriitedness of many conservatives here blows me away. People who feel if you can't afford to pay for health care, you shouldn't get any; that type of thing. I raised my kids fairly conservatively, and I'm conservative with money. I was recently told by a car-loan officer that I had the best credit rating he had ever seen.

Useful idiot, yeah, that's me.

Old 10-24-2009, 07:44 PM

38,644 posts, read 26,393,631 times
Quote:
Where?
In Delusiane can't admit your argument was flawless land.

Old 10-24-2009, 07:56 PM

37,981 posts, read 22,167,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Sadly, the world has changed since 1776. Who's telling anyone to shut up? No one, though Faux made quite a bit of hay this last week pretending like an unpopular high school girl they were getting attention when they just... werent.

"Modern conservatism" has less than no interest in your freedom and every interest in exploiting that buzzword to maintain your frightened loyalty. What freedom of yours have been taken away since January 20 2009? What freedom was restored to you on January 20 2001? What unconstitutional things are happening now? Even the NRA has taken down their frantic warnings of the democrats snatching away your Second Amendment rights. (They'll be up again in 2010, though )
Hmm, we have senators wanting to pass a bill that would make it a law for every American to buy health care, or be punished by the federal government. That is not conservative, and it erodes away our freedoms and liberty.

The deficit has been quadrupled, the debt is going thru the roof, all of this affects every single American, because it devalues our dollar and will result in increased taxes.

There is also an energy bill that made it out of committee, called the Waxman-Markey bill, it will tax the living snot out of us. So far, just about everything 0bama is doing is unconstitutional.

Of yeah, and this is unconstitutional too. 0bama can negotiate treaties, that is not against the constitution, but a treaty cannot trump constitutionally granted rights and freedoms.

Quote:
CNSNews.com) - The U.S. State Department has provided the United Nations with proposed text for a new global warming treaty that would require the United States to comply with stricter carbon emissions standards than most other countries in the world--including, for example, China and Saudi Arabia--and that anticipates that U.S. taxpayers will provide foreign aid to support efforts to control carbon emissions in developing nations.

CNSNews.com - Obama Administration Proposes Text for New Global Warming Treaty That Would Impose Stricter Rules on U.S. Than on China or Saudi Arabia (http://www.cnsnews.com/public/Content/Article.aspx?rsrcid=48774 - broken link)
So you can take this "buzzword to maintain your frightened loyalty" crap and peddle it somewhere else.

This 0bama administration will go down in our history books as "What not to allow to ever happen again".

Old 10-24-2009, 08:07 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,300,410 times
In few words,
I trust government more than corporations.

Why?
We elect government officials, we don't elect anybody in a corporation.
Government benefits when people make more money (more tax money), corporations benefit when people make less money (bigger profit)

And the last one,
government can't move to another country, corporations can shut down their factory and take everything to a communist country with slave labor (China)

Old 10-24-2009, 08:08 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,172,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Hmm, we have senators wanting to pass a bill that would make it a law for every American to buy health care, or be punished by the federal government. That is not conservative, and it erodes away our freedoms and liberty.
You'd like to pay for these people's catastrophic emergency room visits? I wouldnt.

Quote:
The deficit has been quadrupled, the debt is going thru the roof, all of this affects every single American, because it devalues our dollar and will result in increased taxes.
Deficit quadrupled, since when? Which deficit? Obama did not quadruple "the deficit"; our dollar is not being devalued helplessly, there's a reason for it; try to realize these people know what they're doing better than you do, you could look it up.

Quote:
There is also an energy bill that made it out of committee, called the Waxman-Markey bill, it will tax the living snot out of us. So far, just about everything 0bama is doing is unconstitutional.
Please list these unconstitutional things Obama is doing.

Quote:
Of yeah, and this is unconstitutional too. 0bama can negotiate treaties, that is not against the constitution, but a treaty cannot trump constitutionally granted rights and freedoms.
I dont understand what you mean, could you be more specific?

Quote:
So you can take this "buzzword to maintain your frightened loyalty" crap and peddle it somewhere else.
You may not like it but there it is, a fact.

Quote:
This 0bama administration will go down in our history books as "What not to allow to ever happen again".
Why, because there's so much scary change happening all at once after years of quiet and you feel not in control? How do you suggest the financial crisis have been handled? Please dont say "tax cuts to the rich".

Old 10-24-2009, 09:26 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,015,268 times
Quote:
I do not equate mandated outcomes which treat individuals differently and unequally as justice and that is my choice too.
Oh really? Hmm.. so poor people aren't treated "differently". So someone without insurance or the means to pay for treatment which would help save their life shouldn't be treated differently?

Please..the rich think they should be treated differently because they are just that.. richer than the next person. They think they are more "valuable" and constantly treat those they feel aren't of "value" quite differently...

Those with advantages are far more guilty of treating people "differently" based solely on one thing..how much money they have. Let's look at the instance of the sinking of the Titanic. The rich didn't want to "overload" their boats and left the second and third class citizens otherwise behind, god forbid they had to sit next to someone that wasn't as "wealthy' or well to do as them.

Come on.. the whole reason we are having this debate is because people seem to equate worth with wallet size. if we didn't then we would already have universal health care system because we'd understand that a persons shouldn't be treated differently simply because they do not make as much money.

Also, by your argument then people with pre-existing conditions shouldn't be treated differently.. I could go on.. but the point is made.

Last edited by TristansMommy; 10-24-2009 at 09:44 PM..

Old 10-24-2009, 09:40 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,033,551 times
To the OP:

How single-minded and extremely over-generalizing of you. No, I am not a liberal because the Frankfurt Group told me to be. I developed my ideas on my own, and later realized they could mostly be categorized as liberal. Well, at least socially liberal.. I am actually a fiscal centrist.

I am socially liberal because I respect the freedom of all people to do as they please, barring only harm to other people. This idea is the basis for the liberty our constitution was founded on. It comes from compassion and empathy, not some 1920s German group. Game over, please insert 50 cents to continue playing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies