Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 08:38 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,422,283 times

Advertisements

The black crime statistics are what they are. Yet we can quote statistics until we are all black and blue, but the reality of the matter is that, me being a black male, and there are millions of blacks like me who have never committed a crime, who have never been arrested, who have never been on parole, who are bascially law abiding citizens, and yet no one addresses that statistic as well----HUMMMMMMMMMMMMM?

But, unfortunately, a black male like me, who has two degrees still falls into the stereotype, because of my fellow black brotha's inability to obey the law in proportion to whites. Should I be mad at that brotha for making my life hard by allowing whites to justify stereotyping me when they say blacks only make up 13% of the population yet commit 50% of the crimes? Should I act a fool every time I run into a person who is suprised to see that I am articulate, educated, and non combative?

The reality of being black in America too is that we seem to give many reasons for whites doing certain crimes, and the same isn't applied to blacks. Here's a prime example. When a white person steals chronically, he or she isn't a criminal but has a mental disorder, and we put the label on that person as a cleptomaniac. A white male who kills several women or prostitutes is a serial killer instead of a murderer. Let a black male kill more than one person, he surely isn't called a serial killer. Let a black person steal from the store more than once, he surely isn't labelled a cleptomaniac.

Blacks fall into a catch-22. We are damned for being good citizens, and we are damned for not being good citizens. When we try to achieve the American dream some look at it in amazement when statisically, especially if you are black from the inner city, you are not supposed to finish high school nor go to college.

I don't think anyone would disagree with me on this. Every American regardless of his race basically wants the American Dream and just wants to be TREATED FAIRLY.

There seems to be this view by some who think that when a person in authority has to encounter blacks, for what ever reason, we are ALL going to automatically react like Professor Gates. I just wonder had Gates been white, and reacted the same exact way, would he have still been arrested?

The sad reality of this whole situation too is that the media doesn't make it any better because that type of media helps their ratings, and again we end up back at square one---talking about racism in America-which in most cases, it's just the media's attempt to stir up controversy and mess which many people fall right into the media's trap.

Old 10-24-2009, 08:50 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,117,461 times
No, I don't think you should be mad. I think that you should be thankful that, for whatever reason(s), you were able move past the stereotype and take advantage of the opportunities that the United States gives you. Instead of becoming trapped in the revolving door of crime and poverty as many black men do, you rose above it all, and for that you should be proud. Personally, I'd be more concerned with being a mentor in the black community and work to help others follow in your footsteps than worry about white people and society's perception of you.

Old 10-24-2009, 09:05 PM

654 posts, read 466,051 times
Being black doesn't make one more inclined to a life of crime. There are other sociological-economic effects, such as living in a life of poverty and growing up in "the hood" where you are more likely to become a product of your environment.

When the Irish first came to America, they were a deviant lot with some of the highest crime rates ever known in our nation's history and subject to severe discrimination and nativism resentment. Some people started to claim that the Irish were a group of inferior people and there was no hope for them. Five points in NYC was such a criminal area with positive feedback loops that kept reinforcing criminal and deviant behavior.

Then John Hughes came around and transformed the Irish into a moral, upright people were they eventually became the city's prosecutors, the judges, and the jailers. If anyone is interested, here is a great read on it.
How Dagger John Saved New York’s Irish by William J. Stern, City Journal Spring 1997

I may be digressing a little on the Irish, but what I am saying that just being black or Irish doesn't make one more prone to criminal activity. There are other forces at play.

Old 10-24-2009, 09:06 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,371,678 times
Black males should never get mad...they usually end up in jail or are shot shortly after.

Old 10-24-2009, 09:31 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,118,418 times
Not really. If some of them didn't portray the stereotype(s), this wouldn't be an issue. It's bonkers when you can be called white for getting good grades and having ambition. I'm from the notorious Northside of Jacksonville. I see dudes posted on the block with nothing to do. I'm like "what's so interesting to where you're standing around doing nothing? What's so painful about black on black crime/violence is that it's a slap in the faces of fallen leaders; those who have died to ensure blacks have an equal shot and these clowns shooting each other over some bull****. I'm a college-educated man that's about his and is going somewhere in life. I might be considered white to some ignorant blacks but to me, I consider myself wanting to make something of myself other than being a hood star. Don't get me wrong, I picked up street smarts from my environment so I can handle mine if need be, but I see no need to get down as I don't place myself in dangerous situations.

Old 10-24-2009, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
No, I don't think you should be mad. I think that you should be thankful that, for whatever reason(s), you were able move past the stereotype and take advantage of the opportunities that the United States gives you. Instead of becoming trapped in the revolving door of crime and poverty as many black men do, you rose above it all, and for that you should be proud. Personally, I'd be more concerned with being a mentor in the black community and work to help others follow in your footsteps than worry about white people and society's perception of you.
You are right. It's funny you say that I should be a mentor. I guess being an elementary teacher is as close as I can be for my African American black students.

Old 10-24-2009, 10:00 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,756,161 times
I am with you man! I am for you! Not against you! But I do not think merely being a black male will get you stereotyped by most people. If you are a black male between 14 and 30 with you pants down around your ass and funny hair in dreds, you probably will.

Old 10-24-2009, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I am with you man! I am for you! Not against you! But I do not think merely being a black male will get you stereotyped by most people. If you are a black male between 14 and 30 with you pants down around your ass and funny hair in dreds, you probably will.
HA HA HA, and you are right!!!

Old 10-24-2009, 10:13 PM

403 posts, read 534,804 times
wow are the expectations of the average black man so low that they're now seeking gratification from white people for certain things like...NOT going to jail?

[MOD CUT/language]

Last edited by Ibginnie; 10-25-2009 at 04:23 AM..

Old 10-24-2009, 10:13 PM

1,780 posts, read 2,352,178 times
Okay, stereotypes are just that, no one should get made if they are stereotyped. If you wear clothing that make you look like a gangster expect to be stereotyped. If you are who you are and you like it, then it does not matter what others think. People should like and/or hate you for who you are and not who you are not. Stereotypes are superficial, they mean absolutely nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies