Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 11:32 PM

3,084 posts, read 5,237,506 times

Advertisements

Some say that we should be more angry at those who continue to perpetuate the stereotype than those who stereotype blindly. Truth is, I'm "mad" at both equally. Discriminating against an entire segment of the population for the actions of a few is no more rational than, say, choosing to resort to a life of crime simply because you happened to be a product of a single-parent household.

Old 10-24-2009, 11:40 PM

18,127 posts, read 25,275,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
But, unfortunately, a black male like me, who has two degrees still falls into the stereotype, because of my fellow black brotha's inability to obey the law in proportion to whites. Should I be mad at that brotha for making my life hard by allowing whites to justify stereotyping me when they say blacks only make up 13% of the population yet commit 50% of the crimes? Should I act a fool every time I run into a person who is suprised to see that I am articulate, educated, and non combative?
You should be mad at the media and hollywood that keep on pushing the idea that all black men and women are the same.

What percentage of black people shown on TV or movies are successful, smart with a beautiful house and family?
Just watch any movie from the 80s (I was a little kid at the time) and I bet that at least 90% of criminals are black, even though they are all actors.

Hollywood and the media see black people the way "some people" did back 50-70 years ago.
Smart, handsome/beautiful, succesful black person = boring
Flavor-Flav, rappers, fat loud black women, etc, etc = Yes, that's the black people they like.

Watch any movie or video from 50-70 years ago and you'll see that black people could only people the role of stereotypical black people at the time (big smile, good dancing and playing music, etc, etc)
Today? Same s... = act like thug, say you smoke weed, say you are from the ghetto = success

Old 10-24-2009, 11:54 PM

37,960 posts, read 22,141,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
The black crime statistics are what they are. Yet we can quote statistics until we are all black and blue, but the reality of the matter is that, me being a black male, and there are millions of blacks like me who have never committed a crime, who have never been arrested, who have never been on parole, who are bascially law abiding citizens, and yet no one addresses that statistic as well----HUMMMMMMMMMMMMM?
Crime is in the big inner cities, race has nothing to do with it. So if the majority of blacks live in the big cities, they will be sucked into the crime ans rot that exists there. Its not a racial issue, it's a geographical issue.

Old 10-25-2009, 12:04 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,400,633 times
ah there is the rub --- your post mentions crime stats for AA but that is just the teaser. thats not what you wana talk bout. you wana talk bout sterotyping discrimination, 1862 & and the history of slavery huh. we do that alot on CDF dont we. not on the same page. i think its good to talk but not like that. that is just talking at each other not to each other.
good night.

Old 10-25-2009, 12:09 AM

844 posts, read 1,280,311 times
Default Dont play statistics unless you count ALL variables

Is the creator of this threat aware that although blacks commit more crime on average than whites

1. Blacks and hispanics commit almost entirely all intra racial crime meaning they victimize other blacks and hispanics. Whereas whites commit the overwhelming majority of extra-racial Hate Crimes against non white...which account for 80% of all hate crimes.

2. When poverty is correlated into the statistics, blacks, hispanics and whites (if the same income level) commit nearly the EXACT same amount of crime.

So, if a white middle class guy stereotypes a black or hispanic middle class guy as more than likely a criminal, hes waaaay off his marker, because black middle class offend at the exact same rate as white middle class.

Now if he stereotyped a poor black person as more than likely a criminal, he might be right, but equally as much as if he stereotyped a poor white guy.

At the same time, if a white guy sees ANY black guy and assumes he may be victimized, statistically he is waay in the wrong, because when crossed with extra racial hate crime statistics straight white males are more likely to violently victimize non whites than non whites/gays/muslim are to victimize them.

The numbers dont lie. Federal Bureau of Investigation - How To, Use Our Resources

Old 10-25-2009, 12:23 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,087,093 times
I had a hard time getting past the statement that he thinks being called a murderer is worse than being called a serial killer. HUH?

ALERT: You are at the top of the ladder if you are a serial killer. It doesn't get much worse than that.

Old 10-25-2009, 12:34 AM

37,960 posts, read 22,141,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tindo80 View Post
Is the creator of this threat aware that although blacks commit more crime on average than whites

1. Blacks and hispanics commit almost entirely all intra racial crime meaning they victimize other blacks and hispanics. Whereas whites commit the overwhelming majority of extra-racial Hate Crimes against non white...which account for 80% of all hate crimes.
If the area where most blacks live consists of blacks, then who the heck do you think the criminals will commit crimes against?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tindo80 View Post
2. When poverty is correlated into the statistics, blacks, hispanics and whites (if the same income level) commit nearly the EXACT same amount of crime.
Exactly, if you live in the inner cities, where the crime is, you will find more crime. Race is not an issue. Or do people think that a propensity towards committing crime is coded into our DNA?

Old 10-25-2009, 12:47 AM

3,532 posts, read 6,422,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love.doll View Post
wow are the expectations of the average black man so low that they're now seeking gratification from white people for certain things like...NOT going to jail?

wtf?
I was waiting on someone like you to make this statement. Law abiding black males aren't seeking gratification from white people for certain things like NOT GOING TO JAIL, but just in case you haven't noticed, there seems to be an EMPHASIS on black males who do go to jail,thus justifying why some white people stereotype ALL BLACK MALES as crimminal.

My question is basically should black males be mad about it when whites stereotype all black males for the ones who statisically are committing 50% of the crimes and yet not even making up 13% of the population since black women also make up that 13% of the black population? It appears to me that when white males commit crimes, there's a clear reason or explanation for why they commit their crimes. Either they are serial killers, pedophiles, cleptomanics, where as black males who commit the same type of crimes aren't labelled as such...hummmmmmmmmmmm?

I have read posters who said that we should be harder on blacks simply because of our large number of poor and from the fact that black males have a higher crime statistic, even though no one factors in the reasons for those high crimes. It seems to me that when a white male rapes children, he's slapped on the hand and released back out on the streets for good behavior after 3-6 years in prison to repeat the same crime again and again. Let a black man do a crime not as bad like stealing cars, and his black booty will be put under the jail house.

Last edited by antredd; 10-25-2009 at 01:04 AM..

Old 10-25-2009, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post
Okay, stereotypes are just that, no one should get made if they are stereotyped. If you wear clothing that make you look like a gangster expect to be stereotyped. If you are who you are and you like it, then it does not matter what others think. People should like and/or hate you for who you are and not who you are not. Stereotypes are superficial, they mean absolutely nothing.
You would think that they don't mean anything.

Old 10-25-2009, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
You should be mad at the media and hollywood that keep on pushing the idea that all black men and women are the same.

What percentage of black people shown on TV or movies are successful, smart with a beautiful house and family?
Just watch any movie from the 80s (I was a little kid at the time) and I bet that at least 90% of criminals are black, even though they are all actors.

Hollywood and the media see black people the way "some people" did back 50-70 years ago.
Smart, handsome/beautiful, succesful black person = boring
Flavor-Flav, rappers, fat loud black women, etc, etc = Yes, that's the black people they like.

Watch any movie or video from 50-70 years ago and you'll see that black people could only people the role of stereotypical black people at the time (big smile, good dancing and playing music, etc, etc)
Today? Same s... = act like thug, say you smoke weed, say you are from the ghetto = success
You make a valid point, just like the media portrays whites as all middle to upper middle class and successful college graduates, you know the Leave it to Beaver type of family, and we all know that all white people in the USA aren't middle classed or rich. NOW CAN I GET AN AMEN?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies