Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 09:16 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,481,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Maybe I'm a bit selfish, I don't like living in a society where I have a high risk of being stereotyped.

Yet when someone makes a negative post about Obama they are stereotyped

Old 05-22-2012, 09:21 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
I see it this way....i have no problem with you stereotyping me because of black crime stats. I find it to be somewhat reasonable. I'm not stupid, naive, or oblivious. I know what's going on.

However, don't make it OBVIOUS!!! Because then, yea...i'm gonna have a big ass problem. Keep it to yourself. You'd still better treat me the way you expect to be treated. If i'm polite and courteous, then you'd damn sure better do the same. How you feel about me personally based on my race is your problem, not mine, and i don't care to hear about it nor am i willing to deal with the consequences of your sentiments. If you act hostile, then so will I.

So feel free to profile me, stereotype me, or marginalize me. I'm not going to stop you....but keep your hang-ups to yourself.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:21 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,762,896 times
So if they have higher crime statistics you really wouldnt be stereotyping would you? The statistics back the claim. Just saying...

Old 05-22-2012, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I see it this way....i have no problem with you stereotyping me because of black crime stats. I find it to be somewhat reasonable. I'm not stupid, naive, or oblivious. I know what's going on.

However, don't make it OBVIOUS!!! Because then, yea...i'm gonna have a big ass problem. Keep it to yourself. You'd still better treat me the way you expect to be treated. If i'm polite and courteous, then you'd damn sure better do the same. How you feel about me personally based on my race is your problem, not mine, and i don't care to hear about it nor am i willing to deal with the consequences of your sentiments. If you act hostile, then so will I.

So feel free to profile me, stereotype me, or marginalize me. I'm not going to stop you....but keep your hang-ups to yourself.

Thing is there are plenty of honest hardworking black folks who dont get sterotyped. I have several black customers and I have never assumed they would try to screw me. Now those damn asians.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
So if they have higher crime statistics you really wouldnt be stereotyping would you? The statistics back the claim. Just saying...
Well, if whites have higher crime stats than Asians, should Asians stereotype whites?

Look...carrying this stuff out to logical conclusions makes it obvious that this can get sticky.

Just treat everyone the way you want to be treated until they prove they don't deserve to be treated appropriately. You can stereotype people without being stupid or insulting about it.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
Thing is there are plenty of honest hardworking black folks who dont get sterotyped. I have several black customers and I have never assumed they would try to screw me. Now those damn asians.
I'm sure i get stereotyped all the times as possibly violent, a bad tipper, lazy, or whatever.

But the truth is, i don't care because i don't know about it....and that's fine with me. I'm sure i stereotype too. All the time. But i don't find that to be a good reason to be impolite with people.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:28 AM

correct, it isnt a reason to be impolite. And I even return calls to the asians. More then I can say for many in my industry. oops I just sterotyped didnt i?

Old 05-22-2012, 09:33 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,762,896 times
desert, I dont know if whites have higher crime stats then Asians, but if we did...go ahead and stereotype us. I could care less. Its no longer stereotyping when you have facts to back your claim.

You are absolutely correct about doing it without being stupid or insulting but with that being said it would make it apparent that you accept the fact that it is ok to stereotype as long as you stick to not being stupid or insulting about it.

I would never run around calling people out because its like you said, until they prove differently you should treat them appropriately. But you can still treat people appropriately if you stereotype them.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:35 AM

73,028 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
Yet when someone makes a negative post about Obama they are stereotyped
Are you trying to nullify my own concerns?

Old 05-22-2012, 09:37 AM

73,028 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
desert, I dont know if whites have higher crime stats then Asians, but if we did...go ahead and stereotype us. I could care less. Its no longer stereotyping when you have facts to back your claim.

You are absolutely correct about doing it without being stupid or insulting but with that being said it would make it apparent that you accept the fact that it is ok to stereotype as long as you stick to not being stupid or insulting about it.

I would never run around calling people out because its like you said, until they prove differently you should treat them appropriately. But you can still treat people appropriately if you stereotype them.
But here is the question: How would that stereotyping help YOU? How would it help you if it meant you don't get treated fairly, if you get discriminated against, if you have a slightly lower quality of life as a result? I've been asking that question for years.

I have to ask that question because at the end of the day, I have to live in this society, I am here. I need to have my quality of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies