Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 01:34 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,285,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Well just because one is on Medicare doesn't mean they have to retire. An employee could be on Medicare and that could save their employer some money because they wouldn't have to cover their health care costs.

I think your comment about bridges is great. I would like to see more projects that have to deal with mass transit.
I wonder if many of you folks know that there is really very hand work done in bridge building these days. Since it takes heavy equipment and so few shovels I don't think many contractors want to see out of work office workers running their equipment until they get some experience and training.

I know that Obama and Biden have talked and talked about shovel ready projects but they sounded so old fashioned and misunderstanding of these things that I felt sorry for them. Some need to awaken to the fact that those who build roads and bridges usually aren't just in off the streets just because there are all kinds standing around leaning on shovels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 01:34 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
With that in mind, can one remind me again why we are spending trillions on additional social programs while our infrastructure, vital to interstate commerce, erodes?
Actually a big part of Obamas "stimulus" is to rebuild infracture badly needed rebuilt. The problem is of course that there is no money to pay for these projects, and they are pushing all of these jobs out over a period of a few years meaning no long tem job stability.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
People spend money at places other than Wal-Mart, which by the way, employs many Americans
Yeah, lets go out and stimulate more Wal-Mart type jobs.. Thats your argument?
Quote:
You have a problem with how people spend their money? Isn't the idea behind a tax break to give people money to spend as they choose?
I dont give a flying fig how you spend your money. I do however care if you have to take it from others in order to give it to you, while ignoring how I might have spent it to stimulate the economy. You keep ignoring the carrying costs as if they are meaningless..

Old 11-01-2009, 01:43 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,706,964 times
Amend the Constitution to require Congress, the President and the Supeme Court retire at 65

Old 11-01-2009, 01:51 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,531,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Yeah, lets go out and stimulate more Wal-Mart type jobs.. Thats your argument?
No, that wasn't my argument.

Quote:
I dont give a flying fig how you spend your money. I do however care if you have to take it from others in order to give it to you, while ignoring how I might have spent it to stimulate the economy. You keep ignoring the carrying costs as if they are meaningless..
What on earth are you going on about? We're discussing a tax credit. Don't you approve of lower taxes? The credit is given to first-time homebuyers, so no, others aren't giving me anything. What are the "carrying costs?"

This program isn't even new. Congress passed and Bush signed the bill in 2008. Were you complaining about it then?

And how is this related to your claim that people spend tax rebates only on imported electronic equipment?

Old 11-01-2009, 02:08 PM

38,645 posts, read 26,393,631 times
Quote:
Crack addicts steal from our children? Why wouldn't they steal from adults? Children don't have a lot of money.

True, but they have future earnings we can swipe before they are old enough to stop us.

Old 11-01-2009, 02:11 PM

38,645 posts, read 26,393,631 times
Quote:
That depends. Right now, we're paying for the debt. A sixteen year old will be paying in a couple years. A two year old infant may not. It depends how fast we get control of the budget.

No. I also don't believe in simplistic "think of the children" chorus lines.

"Get control of the budget"?

What planet do you live on?

Old 11-01-2009, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
"Get control of the budget"?

What planet do you live on?
I like earth because the girls are easy.

Old 11-01-2009, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
True, but they have future earnings we can swipe before they are old enough to stop us.
Yes, they do. That's how debt works. Sad, but true. Or...we can pay it off so they don't have to. The decision is ours, crack addicted thieves aside.

Old 11-01-2009, 02:19 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
What on earth are you going on about? We're discussing a tax credit.
A credit which is a gift to one individual to pay less than they should have paid leaving others who do pay taxes to pickup the balance.
Quote:
Don't you approve of lower taxes?
Absolutely, lower everyones taxes as the same time, not create special interest credits for one individual while hanging others out to pickup the tab. Isnt this the same problem we have with lobbiest? Create special exemptions for one company while legislating the hell out of their competitor?
Quote:
The credit is given to first-time homebuyers, so no, others aren't giving me anything.
The credit is indeed GIVING to those first time home buyers, or those who previously titled properties in corporations, or those who havent bought a home for several years, or those who manage to sell properties from a bf to a gf to get a "grant", lots of ways to manipulate this credit..
Quote:
What are the "carrying costs?"
ALL borrowing have costs involved. In order for the government to give someone a credit, they need to borrow the money which involve costs, they need to pay interest on those funds, which include more costs, they need to increase taxes which include costs, they need to cost other jobs and other decreases in a stimulation in order to artificially create this one. These are just some of the "carrying costs" involved. Overall if the government is giving person A something, then its being done at person B's expense.. ALWAYS..
Quote:
This program isn't even new. Congress passed and Bush signed the bill in 2008. Were you complaining about it then?
Ahh yep.. I was..
And btw, the Bush credit was a "loan" for $7,500, the current one is a "gift".. big difference but they ALL were stupid..
Quote:
And how is this related to your claim that people spend tax rebates only on imported electronic equipment?
I didnt claim that, you claimed that consumer stimulation ONLY american jobs, I'm just continuing to point out your wrong.

Old 11-01-2009, 02:23 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
How about nothing - Congress is not authorized to stimulate job growth (at least according to the Constitution). Furthermore, goverment can do nothing to produce or create anything - they take from one and give to another - that's it - or they turn on their little printing presses and spend it 'creating jobs' while the purchasing power of my dollar goes down the toilet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies