Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 03:00 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,285,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Didn't you ever take "Math as a Liberal Art?" LOL .
You know I can't say I have. I took all my general college work in the early 50s and the liberals weren't as in control in higher education as they are now.

However, I can say that both my sons took some kind of crap in elementary school out of Chicago and it seemed a bit silly to me. The oldest one had to really struggle with all they threw at him but he learned it by himself since I was unable to help out. You know like numbers that were as silly as 10 to the 23rd power and so on. Those scientific calculators allowed them to think like that but I found when he had completed all the advanced math they taught him that he was very deficient in fractions and decimals so I insisted that he take what I call bone head math as a junior instead of calculus. He came out of that knowing all the things he failed to be taught about fractions and decimals and was ready for his future. He went to a vo-tech school for mechanics. He had to have that basic stuff and didn't need the advanced stuff. However, the other 21 kids in his freshman class benefited from his advanced math when they got to a college math class and he knew it all and the rest didn't.

This kid came back to see his counselor about a year after he started that school to tell her how stupid what she wanted him to do would have been. I taught him to be like me, in that if you think a thing let others know about it and he isn't bashful.

All the new math is calculator taught and the brains of those kids are never challenged and they can't figure without their calculators. I guess the White House must have got hold of some defective calculators.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
And can I just point out -- 18 posts here and most of them just swallowed the title and agreed without (I hope) reading the article.
I read the article and I am not sure who did the lying but I am sure that the WH took what they were told and made something of it that wasn't there. No matter how you look at it too much money was spent for all the"saved" jobs. If we are to have redistribution of wealth we can't have all those millions going to God knows where and into He knows whose pockets.

You can rear back and defend all you want to but they aren't proving a whole lot about the saved jobs. They won't even tell us what a saved job is. It is all one big load of Pelosi and I am sick and tired of it all.

Old 11-03-2009, 03:39 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,168,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I read the article and I am not sure who did the lying but I am sure that the WH took what they were told and made something of it that wasn't there. No matter how you look at it too much money was spent for all the"saved" jobs. If we are to have redistribution of wealth we can't have all those millions going to God knows where and into He knows whose pockets.

You can rear back and defend all you want to but they aren't proving a whole lot about the saved jobs. They won't even tell us what a saved job is. It is all one big load of Pelosi and I am sick and tired of it all.
My point was that the thread title is misleading.

Old 11-03-2009, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
My point was that the thread title is misleading.
I failed to see anything in that article that didn't say less than good about what came out of the White HOuse. I guess I have to get back to that thing and read it in more peaceable times. I was listening to Glenn Beck when I read it and maybe I just missed something there. However, I don't think so.

Lies and Pelosi is all we get from the Chicago crowd in the White House and I think they are having a terrible time trying to prove how well all that money is being spent. The real problem is that most of is has never been spent and all those saved jobs were ones that could have been "saved" with just a little bit of money. Who is pocketing all that money?

Old 11-03-2009, 03:55 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,197,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Analysis finds stimulus confusion - USATODAY.com

Obviously, the funny method of calculation by obama is the real problem.

Desperate times demand desperate measures.

I would like an explanation as to why this thread title states that Obama administration is lying and got caught lying. Having read this article, I cannot find one instance or evidence that Obama himself lied. I see that there was a problem with how the numbers were reported, I see that there may have even been deceit on the part of the government agency responsible for listing this information but I don't see where Obama knew and then lied about it to the public.

Did you make this statement because you read something in this article I cannot find, or did you title it as such to incite the discussion. If I didn't catch something, then I apologize in advance.

Old 11-03-2009, 04:38 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,961,908 times
Quote:
Having read this article, I cannot find one instance or evidence that Obama himself lied. I see that there was a problem with how the numbers were reported, I see that there may have even been deceit on the part of the government agency responsible for listing this information but I don't see where Obama knew and then lied about it to the public.
Notice I said Obama Adminstration, which would then include those governmental agencies (included in his administration) tasked with "helping" (which you say are deceitful) reportees calculate their jobs created or saved.

It is obvious, his administration, including himself and Biden when they go out and promote these numbers, are deceiving, or trying to deceive the public, on the actual jobs created.

Those who are checking these numbers are basically saying their claims are bogus.

Deceiving - lying - bogus. All one in the same in this case, wouldn't you say?

Old 11-03-2009, 04:50 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I was listening to Glenn Beck when I read it and maybe I just missed something there.
Dont miss Fridays show.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:52 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,961,908 times
The Associated Press: STIMULUS WATCH: Salary raise counted as saved job

Quote:
WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama's economic recovery program saved 935 jobs at the Southwest Georgia Community Action Council, an impressive success story for the stimulus plan. Trouble is, only 508 people work there.

The Georgia nonprofit's inflated job count is among persisting errors in the government's latest effort to measure the effect of the $787 billion stimulus plan despite White House promises last week that the new data would undergo an "extensive review" to root out errors discovered in an earlier report.
More hogwash from the administration.

Did they think no one would check their fuzzy math?

Old 11-04-2009, 06:50 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,300,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Notice I said Obama Adminstration, which would then include those governmental agencies (included in his administration) tasked with "helping" (which you say are deceitful) reportees calculate their jobs created or saved.

Ummmm, boy...... I gotta tell ya I've searched high and low, up and down, left and right in your first post for the word "Administration" and I gotta say, you hid it well 'cause I dont' see it...

No, you blamed OBAMA directly. Par for the course, no biggie, but don't attempt to back-track off your original claim when we have proof right there in post #1...

Edit: I moved on because I figured you must have clarified this in your next post, but no..... Post #5 AGAIN you just straight-up say OBAMA without any mention of "administration"...

Seems kinda like you're pulling exactly the same thing you're accusing OBAMA of here, doesn't it?

Old 11-04-2009, 06:51 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,866,827 times
Maybe the White House should set-up an e-mail where people can report these "fishy" job numbers, the way Obama wanted people to report on each other for "fishy" information on health care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies