Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2009, 10:58 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,795,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
What about all the Muslim CONVERTS in our prisons.

You should be more concerned about them than the Christians.

I don't know one single tenet of Christian theology that would influence a Christian to murder a Jew or Muslim. Can't say the same thing about Islam.
Exactly because if a Christian really follows Jesus, he does not believe much in killing, Jesus did not rule by any sword, Jesus didn't kill infidels or say to kill them. Convert them yes, spread the Good News of salvation -- yes but nothing about killing. Mohammed did kill, he personally killed many people -- he came right out and said that infidels should be killed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 10:59 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,418,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Or gay soldiers angry about Don't Ask Don't Tell.
There should be a requirement that posters be at least 18 years old at this site.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:01 AM

2,521 posts, read 2,354,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I highly doubt that. Most people in prison are not religious at all, most were not going to church on a regular basis or reading the Bible much at all. You can bet most in prison are quite anti-Christian in all their beliefs.
Not true.

Watch ANY TV special on prisons and you'll see that even the most violent offenders still believe in god and Jesus.
The Federal Bureau of Prisons does have statistics on religious
affiliations of inmates. The following are total number of
inmates per religion category:

Response %
---------------------------- --------
Catholic 39.164%
Protestant 35.008%
Muslim 7.273%
American Indian 3.222%
Nation 2.320%
Rasta 1.987%
Jewish 1.773%
Church of Christ 1.744%
Pentecostal 1.463%
Moorish 1.426%
Buddhist 1.180%
Jehovah Witness 0.890%
Adventist 0.831%
Orthodox 0.502%
Mormon 0.399%
Scientology 0.254%
Atheist 0.209%
Hindu 0.159%
Santeria 0.157%
Sikh 0.019%
Bahai 0.012%
Krishna 0.009%

The most crime-ridden neighborhoods in New Orleans are also the most religious ones. Go to Compton or South Central on a Sunday and EVERYONE is in church, even the gang-bangers. Most gang-bangers are still Momma's boys, and Momma makes sure her boys go to Church.

Most WHITE inmates are Christian as well. As are the Hispanic inmates.

Deny FACTS all you want, you're still the delusional one who is blind to them.

4,272 posts, read 3,794,400 times
So, this is how a controversy is manufactured.

921 posts, read 1,133,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Get a life people. Try worring about those that survived and the families, your critic of the President is nothing more than your hate overpowering your brain, and you prove it by posting threads such as this for all to read. You guys just keep whining away over nothing, as usual, pitiful.
Casper
AMEN!!!

Old 11-06-2009, 11:03 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,795,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
Can we PLEASE get over this "but they did it, so now it's payback time" attitude already??

It wasn't "right" when people did it to Bush, it's not "right" when people do it to Obama. (In case you're wondering, I disagreed with many of Bush's policies but had respect for the fact that he held the office of POTUS).

All the finger-pointing over every silly thing (he didn't say something fast enough, he didn't use the right tone, he didn't say what I would have said) just take away from people's valid dissent about the bigger issues facing our country.

You want to protest Obama's policies? Go for it, it is your right.
Nit-picking everything that does or doesn't come out of his mouth? Give me a break.

The events at Ft. Hood were a tragedy. Why don't we spend some time worrying about the victims and their loved ones and supporting the law enforcement authorities in bringing the murderer to justice?
I suppose when it's a president in office like Bush, people look to the president for leadership and direction but this is obviously not to be expected now.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:04 AM

2,521 posts, read 2,354,783 times
Not one of those was a terrorist ATTACK.
There was a lot more violence by Christians in the Netherlands than Muslims.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:06 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,909,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I suppose when it's a president in office like Bush, people look to the president for leadership and direction but this is obviously not to be expected now.
I think people do look to the office of POTUS for leadership in a situation like this. That you don't expect it now is your opinion which you are entitled to. There are those who disagree with your opinion. But you didn't address the rest of my post.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:07 AM

2,654 posts, read 5,473,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pug Life View Post
Explain the Inquisition.
Explain the Salem Witch Trials.
Explain the IRA.
Explain the Crusades.
Explain the Holy Roman Empire that used religion as a way to spread military conquest.
Explain the Conquistadors.
Explain the KKK (which uses Christian scripture).

Sorry, Christianity has as much blood on its hands as Islam.

Anyone who follows a religion religiously is dangerous and usually not sane.

Secular people who follow religious traditions are okay, but the people who think that "God guides and protects me" are scary and dangerous. I am just as frightened by the Westboro Baptist Church (or "The Rock" in San Diego) where they promote hate and bigotry as I am by Arabs.

I've actually seen Arab terrorism first hand. I was in a market in Tel Aviv when it was bombed in 1997, I was cut by flying rock (not very badly, but still...), I saw people dying with my own two eyes.

But I've also been to London and seen what they did in response to CHRISTIAN terrorism that plagued them to the point where they've become the most surveiled society in the world.
Every example you give is the use of Christianity or religous differences by people in power to acheive other objectives:

Explain the Salem Witch Trials. - Using the authourites to take out rivals
Explain the IRA. - Religon as a proxy for a political independence movement
Explain the Crusades. - War for $$
Explain the Holy Roman Empire that used religion as a way to spread military conquest. - War for $$
Explain the Conquistadors. - War for Money
Explain the KKK (which uses Christian scripture). - religon used to justify oppression to maintain political power

Also most of these examples are over 500 years old. Muslims are killing people for their faith NOW. TODAY. Not in the past.

So unless you have an irrational fear that you are going to bump into one of the knights of the crusade in a dark alley who will run you through with his broadswaord, I'd say the average westerner has alot more to fear from the current adherents of Islam then Christianity.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:08 AM

2,479 posts, read 3,239,468 times
Another terrorist attack in FLA.
8 People shot.

HLN: The "News and Views" network - CNN.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies