Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 09:26 AM

3,100 posts, read 3,301,152 times

Advertisements

Get a room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 09:29 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,018,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingSpires View Post
Damn! A lucid, substantive, and concise analysis. I think I'm in love!
Glad to oblige!

Old 11-08-2009, 09:30 AM

1,468 posts, read 2,119,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
Get a room.
Get a sense of humour, bud!

Old 11-08-2009, 10:22 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,275,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MainelyJersey View Post
I don't think it's disdain as much as discomfort. The Military is a completely different culture than that what Obama lives in. He spent his adulthood in academia and politics..a bizarre combination of lofty ideals and dirty tricks.

The military culture is one of honor, code, commitment. They don't (typically) throw colleagues under the bus for personal advancement. They'll risk career for commitment to cause (think McChrsytal). It's an entirely different set of values, and he's smart enough to know that. And to sense that they know that.
No, those are the posted military values.
The culture is not the same.
There's spousal and child abuse, addiction, gambling, smuggling, cheating on spouses, murder and every facet of criminal activity as there is on the outside.

They're constantly throwing others under the bus for personal advancement.

I've been in and around the military community for decades.
What you are describing is pie-in-the-sky.
The reality is something different.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:48 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,018,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
No, those are the posted military values.
The culture is not the same.
There's spousal and child abuse, addiction, gambling, smuggling, cheating on spouses, murder and every facet of criminal activity as there is on the outside.

They're constantly throwing others under the bus for personal advancement.

I've been in and around the military community for decades.
What you are describing is pie-in-the-sky.
The reality is something different.
I'm well aware of the reality-ugly human behavior exists in every facet of society.

Still, given the choice, who would you rather have your back?

The bleeding soldiers who ignore their own wounds to pull others to safety?
Or Pelosi, Reid, Obama et. al driving the bus over anyone in the way of their goals?

Make no mistake..different culture, different values.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:57 AM

That's not what you said.
I disputed your comments.

Might want to look at the draft dodgers on the R side before you talk about others.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:08 AM

1,468 posts, read 2,119,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
That's not what you said.
I disputed your comments.

Might want to look at the draft dodgers on the R side before you talk about others.
Chielgirl, I think the point MaineJersey is trying to make is that the ideals upon which military culture rests--the foundations, so to speak--are rock solid. The fact that corruption exists, and that these ideals are routinely abused by some of those who are entrusted to uphold them, does nothing to undermine or alter the ideals per se.

Many members take these ideals seriously to the point that they will suffer and die for them.

No such code of honour exists in politics and academia (President Obama's milieu) to balances out the corruption that is routinely found there as well. They are entirely different cultures.

As regards your comment on draft dodgers...

The last time I looked, "Draft Dodger" and "Military" were mutually exclusive concepts.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingSpires View Post
Chielgirl, I think the point MaineJersey is trying to make is that the ideals upon which military culture rests--the foundations, so to speak--are rock solid. The fact that corruption exists, and that these ideals are routinely abused by those who are entrusted to uphold them, does nothing to undermine or alter the ideals per se.

Many members take these ideals seriously to the point that they will suffer and die for them.

No such code of honour exists in politics and academia (President Obama's milieu) to balances out the corruption that is routinely found there as well. They are entirely different cultures.

As regards your comment on draft dodgers...

The last time I looked, "Draft Dodger" and "Military" were mutually exclusive concepts.
Draft dodger and military were not exclusive when the draft dodging neocons put our kids at risk in Iraq. No need to roll your eyes at me.
Cheney had how many deferements because he had better things to do?

Oh please, you're saying that academia is what?
There are codes of honor everywhere, some people follow them, some do not.
The military is no different.
They Bush administration didn't treat their military members suffering from PTSD, they didn't provide body armor in Iraq, etc.

For the most part, if it were up to me, I wouldn't hire many retired military members retire because of their lack of integrity.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:16 AM

3,282 posts, read 5,200,356 times
It's unhealthy for a democratic society to have any establishment so holy that a person is eviscerated simply for not falling face down to fawn over it.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:22 AM

1,747 posts, read 1,953,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
Any moron can sit and watch the Bulls lose with a beer in his hand ... On the social level, Obama is not a people person.

Watching a ball game gets you out of having to talk to people on a personal level ..

You can be a great speaker, and yet, say nothing at all .. Obama absolutely does not articulate well. (without of course, having a cue card in his hand)

Dubya didn't articulate well either, but at least he gave it all a good shot without the use of cue cards.

Catch Obama alone on any day of the week and strike up a conversasion with him. 40% of the conversasion will be full of "um's", "uhh's", and "mm's".
The man literally struggles to finds words.
You forgot all the I's, and Me's he generously uses in EVERY sentence that comes out of his ***!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies