Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 10:45 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,475,331 times

Advertisements

The title is misleading as usual. The teacher simply broke a state law.

Another alarmist thread, twisted around to whine about "liberals." The most easily offended PC police are the right wing anyway, as witnessed here almost daily. Yesterday's rant du jour was Obama daring to bow and show some diplomacy. They'll be a new one in another day or two bitching and moaning about absolutely nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 10:47 AM

2,229 posts, read 1,688,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
The title is misleading as usual. The teacher simply broke a state law.
So... since its law, its no longer political?

Does that make sense to you?

Old 11-18-2009, 10:52 AM

2,574 posts, read 2,491,090 times
The decision was right.
Makes the weak students feel inferior.
Einstein was a math failure...

Old 11-18-2009, 10:54 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,052,604 times
After the mid-term, my French teacher in High School re-arranged the seats from worst test score to best test score, highest scores sat in the back, lowest in the front. Can't recall a single parent whining about her poor front seat baby's self esteem. We kept those seats through the final.

I had a European History teacher that used to send 6 students to the blackboard with chalk, every Friday. Then she'd ask questions from the homework reading assignments for a week. The students at the board couldn't hand off their chalk to a seated student until they answered 5 questions right in a row (NO multiple choice). As soon as they missed one, they had to start all over. Some of them stood up there the entire class period. We did it for a full class year so I guess no parents whined about their low self esteem, peanut allergies, cultural bias or their ADD preventing them from remembering what they read.

That was in the late 60s.

Last edited by LauraC; 11-18-2009 at 11:07 AM..

Old 11-18-2009, 10:55 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,015,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
It's certainly leftist since authority figures are looking to crack down on anyone trying to distinguish a certain set of achievers from the rest of the class.
Now that's just plain absurd.
Completely ridiculous assertion that it's "leftist".
You need to provide a better explanation than that!

Old 11-18-2009, 11:00 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,312,933 times
Although Northfield is about 45 minutes from Minneapolis, it is a very liberal college town. I attended one of the Minnesota State Universities and these places are like radical Left indoctrination camps. Basically, the Liberals here talk about diversity-tolerance-kumbaya, the typical Liberal BS ad nauseum but if you disagree with them on anything, they turn into some very intolerant, mean people FAST. It is a total brainwash. Anyways, Minnesota will be the new Michigan in 5 years with its outrageous taxes and welfare state policies, a total failure!

Old 11-18-2009, 11:22 AM

1,476 posts, read 1,777,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
A Northfield Minnesota teacher was told to discontinue what they were doing.

The teacher, in an attempt to motivate students. put the names and scores of the top students of a math test on the blackboard.

One parent complained that it violated data-privacy laws.

The teacher was told to discontinue doing that cuz it sends the wrong message.

A retired teacher was quoted in the Minneapolis Tribune that doing that destroys the " team" concept of classrooms.

--" team concept "---------?????????????

I thought --"team concept"-- applies more to high school athletic teams and even there they publish in the newspaper the individual high scorer, leading rusher etc.

I'm glad the "pc" hasn't moved from the classrooms to the sports teams.
How is this PC? If the teacher put the number of white students who did good vs the number of black students who did good than it would be a PC issue. I don't see this as a PC issue.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:24 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,083,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post
How is this PC? If the teacher put the number of white students who did good vs the number of black students who did good than it would be a PC issue. I don't see this as a PC issue.
PC is not just about race.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:27 AM

948 posts, read 2,793,745 times
My sister spent more time than most can imagine just to pass many high school classes - literally hours every day just to get by and many times with only with D's. Her friends out partying or at sporting activities till late hours just flying thru the courses with good grades. Her peers knew she struggled so the process of advertising her failures (which our school didn't) I highly doubt would have done anything to help. She had family and entrusted friends to help her study.

Giving the cocky and cruel additional ammo to poke at others I fear could break many - getting a high grade IS rewarding but to some simply passing is rewarding, which can be clouded by looking at a list showing ones self at the bottom after trying harder than most just for that achievement.

There is motivational recognition of achievements with Honor Rolls and special achievement awards- most papers even publish them. Exploiting a kids bad grades (especially the ones that try) I think would reinforce skipping, tardiness, and other bad behavior. The students voted her class "airhead" and when the Superintendent heard he nixed it from the year book -- word still got out and she went into a depressive state for weeks. Thankfully she had a good support group - had she not?????

Old 11-18-2009, 11:28 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,297,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
Now that's just plain absurd.
Completely ridiculous assertion that it's "leftist".
You need to provide a better explanation than that!
Care to discuss with me rationally why it's a ridiculous assertion, rather than just saying it is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies