Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2011, 11:01 AM

1,811 posts, read 1,210,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
With all the garbage thrown on the roadsides of America, the idiots texting and talking on cell phones causing fatal auto accidents, not to mention those DUI's, I doubt that the police are going to waste their time on cigarette butts.
Well, when they get a taste of the $1,000 fine going into their coffers, they might!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 05:06 PM

5,258 posts, read 9,143,624 times
I don't think a ban on smoking would work, but I AM glad that 1). more cities are becoming smoke-free in public venues, such as bars and restaurants, and 2). so many bar/restaurant owners in cities that aren't smoke-free are choosing to become that way. There's nothing worse than going home smelling like smoke after a fun evening out with friends.

Old 06-06-2011, 05:34 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
Don't look to the government to get people to stop smoking. Parents need to lead by example first. Also, Hollywood needs to give up it's love affair with cigarettes in movies and cartoons. Funny that it's illegal to smoke on the job but smoking is still legal on Hollywood studios. Guess they made an exception for the drug addict chain smoking celebrities.

Old 06-07-2011, 06:31 AM

218 posts, read 455,228 times
ugh, political correctness, let's don't step on anyones toes

Old 06-07-2011, 10:20 AM

1,811 posts, read 1,210,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saywha View Post
ugh, political correctness, let's don't step on anyones toes
The overall goal of the "anti-smoking" movement is to stop smokers from stepping, nay, stomping on everyone else's toes. The normal people have just had enough of the skanks and their "who gives a damn about anyone else" attitude.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:13 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,517,673 times
it should be banned in certain places, but definitely not overall.

Old 06-08-2011, 05:46 PM

60 posts, read 260,889 times
I'm all for smoking being banned in all public places.

My son and I both have asthma. We went to our neighborhood pool yesterday and the people who came up next to our table spent the entire time smoking, and I spent the night wheezing and using my inhaler. (I'm going to ask the board if we can get the pool declared a no smoking area.) My right to breathe trumps your right to smoke, hands down. You don't have to smoke. I have to breathe.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:04 PM

18,473 posts, read 31,643,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftySM View Post
I'm all for smoking being banned in all public places.

My son and I both have asthma. We went to our neighborhood pool yesterday and the people who came up next to our table spent the entire time smoking, and I spent the night wheezing and using my inhaler. (I'm going to ask the board if we can get the pool declared a no smoking area.) My right to breathe trumps your right to smoke, hands down. You don't have to smoke. I have to breathe.

yes yes yes, I love it !!!

Nothing is worse than being out at something like you were only to have smokers all freaking day long. ugh....

today riding my bike on the bike path I had to pass 2 men smoking cigars on the benches, talk about vomit.....

I am riding do be healthy, and yet I have to breath the smoke in....OK, I know it is outside and air dispurses it, but I still smell it....blech !!

Old 06-08-2011, 10:40 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
I don't smoke. I hate cigarette smoke. It's bad for you. But so is beef.
Not a fan of any sort of Prohibition. It would just cause organized crime to become involved. Another Prohibition. And that was a smashing success... At least for the mob.
Legalize marijuana too. The war on drugs is not working.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:12 AM

2,788 posts, read 5,092,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minnesota rocks over fl View Post
I think that it should be taxed, but not banned. If you don't like the smoke, just get away.

Smokers have no right to pollute my air...my lungs..put that poison in the air..get away?..I dont think so...If you choose to kill yourself then do it to your own self..You chose to smoke..I didnt choose to breathe it in..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies