Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 06:51 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,321,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID65 View Post
Tell that to Einstein! When was the last time you had a beer? Your statement is rediculous at best!
I don't consume alcoholic beverages. IMO, anyone who wants to legalize marijuana and other mind-altering drugs are ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 06:52 PM

2,574 posts, read 2,489,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tindo80 View Post
The cops were carrying weapons. I dont see the connection. The cops already had guns, so did the assailants. Who are you saying needed a concealed weapon?

The bystanders,
the waiters,
the pedestrians,
the eye witnesses who saw but could not draw ( a pistol)...

Old 11-29-2009, 07:24 PM

175 posts, read 302,585 times
Quote:
Im wondering when officials will state the obvious, that these attacks are not random, and that police community relations in the more urban areas is deteriorated so badly that mutual discourse is needed.
I really hope you're not suggesting that just because there are a few bad apples in the bunch, that it gives these sickos the right and "need" to just open fire and ambush cops.

As for whether this has anything to do with people being able to conceal and carry, in this situation whose to say that wouldn't just mean that there would be a few more dead bodies like say the gunman decided to open up on more than just police to get the bystanders shooting at him too. It may have helped or it may have made things worse. There's no guarantee what kind of shots those people would be and from the news about it the bystanders appeared to have been in shock. Considering all 4 cops were armed already, I don't really see it having done much good to have even more people jump into the fray and I guess we'll never know.

Thoughts and prayers with the families and the other police for their slain brothers and sister. I hope they catch the scumbag.

Last edited by lucky_double_d; 11-29-2009 at 07:41 PM..

Old 11-29-2009, 07:42 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,493,467 times
Four Lakewood officers slain; 'Person of interest' identified | KING 5 TV | Seattle News, Local News, Breaking News, Weather | Local News

This monster have a long criminal history in Arkansas and WA.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:02 PM

37,138 posts, read 42,228,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymiafl View Post
The bystanders,
the waiters,
the pedestrians,
the eye witnesses who saw but could not draw ( a pistol)...
Most people who carry weapons do it to protect THEMSELVES and THEIR FAMILY but few want to be a hero. If 4 trained and armed police officers couldn't stop this guy it's got to tell you something.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:15 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,310,682 times
I hope this piece of **** gets the death penalty. Any irrational animal is more civilized than this beast.

Old 11-29-2009, 10:14 PM

937 posts, read 2,834,719 times
Quote:
No one is talking about the fact that its getting harder and harder to claim these incidents are random.

Seattle-Tacoma-Everett area police have not had the best of reputations in several neighborhoods. Minorities, homeless, young people, the gay community, recent immigrants, all frequently complain of over policing, police abuse, or in a lot of cases police brutality. Im sure everyone remembers the seatac girl who was attacked on camera, or that off duty officer in downtown seattle that shot while drunk after an argument.

Because the state is seen as a 'liberal new age modernist haven', these things are pretty much ignored by the greater community. Im wondering when officials will state the obvious, that these attacks are not random, and that police community relations in the more urban areas is deteriorated so badly that mutual discourse is needed.
What you said makes me sick. You're practically condoning the shooter's actions. Four innocent police officers, sitting in a diner are MURDERED and you it was NEEDED? Moderator cut: PERSONAL ATTACK These men and women go out there day AND NIGHT to protect you! They go TOWARDS the fight and hail of bullets as YOU run away from it. Ughh....

Last edited by katzenfreund; 11-30-2009 at 11:07 AM..

Old 11-29-2009, 10:26 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,757,983 times
Basically if any police officers attack and injure citizens unjustly they deserve to be repaid with whatever they did. However, I doubt that this was the case here. The only way that the police can reduce this risk is by integrating with the community and making neighborhood friends. No person is invincible and if law abiding citizens are armed and alert, even the police can benefit. Conversely those police on a power trip who assault nonviolent citizens need to be punished. Shooting a police officer or officers beating someone who has not committed a violent crime would be justified in my opinion. Doing this in a diner where the police are not engaged in such behavior is wrong. Hopefully the shooter or shooters are caught and executed.

Old 11-29-2009, 10:37 PM

937 posts, read 2,834,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Basically if any police officers attack and injure citizens unjustly they deserve to be repaid with whatever they did. However, I doubt that this was the case here. The only way that the police can reduce this risk is by integrating with the community and making neighborhood friends. No person is invincible and if law abiding citizens are armed and alert, even the police can benefit. Conversely those police on a power trip who assault nonviolent citizens need to be punished. Shooting a police officer or officers beating someone who has not committed a violent crime would be justified in my opinion. Doing this in a diner where the police are not engaged in such behavior is wrong. Hopefully the shooter or shooters are caught and executed.
If any Officers attack and injure a citizen unjustly, you let the courts figure that out. You don't want Officers dishing out vigilante justice, neither should the citizens. You can't sit here and justify the person's actions. You can't say shooting a police officer is justified who is "beating" someone who has not committed a violent crime. You have NO idea of prior contacts, what happened before the contact, what led up to it, etc. That would be like someone coming into the middle of you and your wife having a fight, where she stabbed you, and now you go to defend yourself and someone shoots YOU. Moderator cut: RUDE

Last edited by katzenfreund; 11-30-2009 at 11:08 AM..

Old 11-29-2009, 10:42 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,290,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID65 View Post
I was present at a police funeral yesterday in LV.
What does this mean and why would you think it's germane to the thread (that you started)?

Was it a benign death, if so, what a mean and petty comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies