Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2009, 08:38 PM
SWV

445 posts, read 1,337,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Do not drive vans without windows.

What?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 08:54 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,662,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I will admit that how you dress affects how you are perceived. It may not be fair but it's the reality. We can spend all day debating the merit of this issue but I would rather people dress well so that they are not negatively stereotyped. And "dressing well" doesn't require that one spend a lot of money. In my opinion, someone who dresses well is someone who dresses neatly meaning his shoes are shined, his pants and shirts are pressed, his hair is combed or styled neatly, he is clean shaven, he smells nice, his fingernails are cropped and clean. It doesn't take much. You don't need to wear Hugo Boss or Prada to look neat. You can buy clothes from Wal-Mart or Target and look sharp if you take care of yourself. If you dress like a gangbanger, you will be treated like one. If you were hooded sweatshirts, with goatees and tattoos, you will be treated like a guy who just got out of prison.

The same goes for speech. If you curse, speak in slang, talk like you are from the hood or sound like a hick, you will be interpreted as being dumb. I know some might read this and say "Yeah but you are selling out" That's fine, I would rather be successful and unoriginal than poor and original. No one really cares how "original" you are if you don't have a job or are in jail because some cop discriminated against you. Yes, I know the police should become more aware and sophisticated but I live in the real world. I'm not going to wait for them to change. I'm going to dress as well as I can and carry myself as professionally as I can. Sure, they might pull you over based on racial profiling but if you carry yourself professionally and don't get angry as a result ie William "Skip" Gates, you will be fine. Like I said, I live in the real world. I would love it if the police would change but they won't. Protect yourself
I totally agree with this. For better or worse, how you present yourself affects how people perceive you. When I see someone dressed in sweat pants at the supermarket, I pretty much assume that they don't care very much how they look, especially if all their clothes are two sizes too big. I wish this weren't the case, but it is. The problem is when one subset of a particular culture or ethnicity is made to stand for the entire one. That's just wrong.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:05 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,532,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
As a member of the real minority in this country, white male, I often wonder how we keep from getting profiled. I guess most people don't consider us minority but we are at the bottom of the list when it comes jobs because of all the racial minorities that have to come before us.

With that crazy woman as head of Homeland Security those of us who are veterans, Republicans, and so forth are profiled and a minority.
Roy are you serious. Listen bottom line only the people working in these angencies can stop profiling. If an angency is all white of course they will profile. If an angency is all black they will profile too. You may be frustrated but dont use the I or who ever does not have a job because they gave it to a black man excuse. I just got off a thread where someone complained about black male unemployment was at 34 point something percent. I posted that 90% of that problem had to do with the unemployed black males behavior themselves. So dont give me this victim stuff. The guys with thier draws out (cop bait) I dont know why Puffy combs picture was included.. HA! HA!

Old 12-02-2009, 09:13 PM

2,087 posts, read 1,766,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtsBees View Post
LOL. You crack me up man. Keep it up, you make my day. I don't honestly care how many times you say racism, racist, whatever else. Are you trying to hurt my feelings?

still waiting on that proof...............not trying to hurt your feelings at all just pointing out that your example was exactly what you claim not to be.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Not applicable.

giving up your rights is very applicable to losing liberty...

Old 12-02-2009, 09:14 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,532,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
Let's ask all the rocket scientists a simple question. Let's say a man kills someone in your family. All the evidence and witnesses say the man was black with a shaved head. Should the police look for the white guy with blond hair or the mexican guy with shoulder length hair or maybe the woman who happens to be bald because of cancer?

hmmmm what to do,what to do
Thats not profiling. That is following a suspect description in a crime. Big difference

Old 12-02-2009, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWV View Post
I really don't care if someone profiles me, I know myself better than anybody else. So if you want to "classify" me as a thug because of the way I dress then so be it. It really doesn't matter to me anyway, because I don't steal, won't kill, won't harm anyone (unless someone is trying to harm me) I may act a little "HOOD/GHETTO" as you people say but that doesn't mean I'm an unethical human being.

but you should care because it violates your rights. You should invoke your rights no matter what. You don't have to have something to hide to invoke your rights.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by organick View Post
giving up your rights is very applicable to losing liberty...
They are pretty much the same thing.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diva360 View Post
I totally agree with this. For better or worse, how you present yourself affects how people perceive you. When I see someone dressed in sweat pants at the supermarket, I pretty much assume that they don't care very much how they look, especially if all their clothes are two sizes too big. I wish this weren't the case, but it is. The problem is when one subset of a particular culture or ethnicity is made to stand for the entire one. That's just wrong.

there is a large difference between saying "that person doesn't care how they look" and "that person must be a criminal".

Old 12-02-2009, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
Thats not profiling. That is following a suspect description in a crime. Big difference
This has been said in this context before. I don't know if the person who made the posting doesn't get the distinction or if he just doesn't want to listen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies