Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 02:07 PM

1,313 posts, read 1,551,819 times

Advertisements

Yep.... UK is giving an eye-popping 750
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

37,981 posts, read 22,167,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
20 NATO Countries to Send More Troops to Afghanistan

20 NATO Countries to Send More Troops to Afghanistan | Asia | English

NATO says at least 20 countries plan to increase their troop levels in Afghanistan, following U.S. President Barack Obama's announcement of a 30,000-troop boost to the war-torn nation.

NATO spokesman James Appathurai told reporters NATO members had shown a clear determination to support President Barack Obama's strategy in Afghanistan - not just through rhetoric, but by dispatching more troops
And why not jump up to show support for 0bama, he has told them they will all be going home in just over a year anyway.

3,857 posts, read 4,217,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
i am not happy. i am watching history repeat itself. it's not enough to just pull up the analogy of the vietnam war, although that would be appropriate as well. just remember 1999:

Main Street Americans ask of the Serbian war, "What in hell are we doing over there?". At Nato's hideous jubilee party, these doubters are the great uninvited.

Such Americans are the dreaded isolationists who haunt the globalist dreams of the Clintons and Blairs (if such men can be said to dream). For their pacific concerns they are vilified as nativists and xenophobes. Why is it, by the way, that those who oppose killing foreigners are the ones called xenophobes?

The Secretary of State, Madeleine Albright, has called isolationism a"cancer". If so, the cancer is congenital. Mrs. Albright may be unfamiliar with the basic foreign-policy statement of the American founding, the Farewell Address of George Washington, in which the father of our country adjured his posterity to "steer clear of permanent alliances with any portion of the world".

Washington's carcinogenic advice is still regarded as sound by millions of his countrymen. Even at the height of the Cold War, opinion polls found that one -third of the citizenry wanted to bring the boys home from Europe, and, despite nightly lectures by the Instant Balkan Experts of the idiot box, they would really rather sit this one out. But the two parties will not let them do so. Just as in the early 1960s, liberal Democrat technocrats have stumbled into an unpopular and potentially disastrous war, and the Republicans have demanded ... escalation!

now we have the same situation in reverse, with our country verging closer to bankruptcy daily. we have only to look at russia to see what an out of control military budget can do to a country.
Was that a c&p? Do you have a link?

Old 12-03-2009, 02:08 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
you should oppose it too.

tell me what we will achieve. tell me what we can "win". tell me how this won't possibly bankrupt us since we are already starting out BROKE. do you honestly think we can just keep printing money forever? how will the government take care of the "people" when its credit card is pulled?
It is a little strange that people who supported the wars in the past are all of a sudden worried about the cost of war. I have opposed Iraq and supported Afghanistan from the start.

What I do oppose it our permanent bases in Germany are other countries, because they suck billions upon billions every year even at peace time. There is no need for that. But I believe there is a need to successfully finish the war we have been fighting for eight years.

Old 12-03-2009, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
And why not jump up to show support for 0bama, he has told them they will all be going home in just over a year anyway.
That is not exactly what he promised, but they jumped up to support him anyway.

I wonder if they would have jumped after hearing McCain tell them that we'll be there for 100 years.

Old 12-03-2009, 02:10 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,291,205 times
Quote:
It is a little strange that people who supported the wars in the past are all of a sudden worried about the cost of war.
Just as its strange for the anti-war crowd to suddenly march in lockstep with ObamaBush, now that it's his war.

Old 12-03-2009, 02:12 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,919,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin13 View Post
Was that a c&p? Do you have a link?
it was in post 5. sometimes when i add to a post, if i add too soon it erases what i had just typed.

Old 12-03-2009, 02:13 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,904,050 times
Sand Sirens sucking up more fresh blood. I believe that humans are not terribly bright.

Old 12-03-2009, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Just as its strange for the anti-war crowd to suddenly march in lockstep with ObamaBush, now that it's his war.
I haven't see such people yet, but I'll let you know if I see some.

Old 12-03-2009, 02:15 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,291,205 times
Quote:
I haven't see such people yet, but I'll let you know if I see some.
It's cool. I've seen too many to count, and will help make up for you not seeing any.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies