Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2009, 12:05 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,770,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Since I am not from Alaska, I am unfamiliar with the type of evangelical sect you are referring to. Could you clarify?
I'll make an attempt at clarification. The evangelicals in the valley that I became familiar with were very political people and they were extremely insular.
Religion and politics went hand in hand with them. I attended a couple of their church services; at the time I was a young parent. I worked outside the home and had a very nice neighbor woman and her daughter providing childcare. So...the pastor of that church came over to my house one day and said that he understood that I needed to be employed but that I should look to the women in that church to look after my child when I did so and said that his wife would be glad to watch my son. I was very happy with who I had and declined his offer. Part of the reason that I did so was because I had been in his home and was less than impressed by the child rearing methods that I witnessed there. Shortly after that I was publicly denounced from the pulpit and the members were ordered not to speak to me if they saw me in public. This was commonplace there; it wasn't at all unusual for anyone who didn't tow the church line to be publicly denounced. It didn't hurt my feelings any and honestly I was glad not to be involved with them since they seemed to want to tell me how to raise my family.

I was involved with them in a primarily analytical sense and as I've said before, their conversation was mostly political--it was strongly implied that church members were expected to vote a certain way. They were against everything but their own very narrow way of life.

I think that the evangelicals became very inbred (in a figurative sense) during that time. There was a lack of outside influence or exchange of ideas.

Now, I've never met Sarah Palin but I have met her parents. Chuck Heath didn't say a whole lot but about 60 seconds into the conversation, her mother started in with the whole evangelical/political rhetoric. I realize that Sarah isn't her mother...but I am aware of the hold that these small and isolated churches can have on their members, and I think that Sarah is a product of that. And once again, their agenda seemed way more political than spiritual, and very much about how other people should live their lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 12:40 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,164,434 times
As to the OP....Sarah is just sucking up to get campaign donations....she knows 'christians' will give money to anyone if they think that'll help 'em be saved....and they fall for any snake oil salesman(or woman) that comes along....

Old 12-05-2009, 08:28 AM

3,857 posts, read 4,218,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I'm betting US Senator from Alaska.
Last I heard, Palin is not very popular in Alaska, so good luck with that prediction.

Old 12-05-2009, 11:30 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,580,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin13 View Post
Last I heard, Palin is not very popular in Alaska, so good luck with that prediction.
My laugh of the day is when people refer to her as Governor Palin.

I am like "Don't forget she quit because of the so called liberal media!"

I am like "Would you be referring to Obama as president Obama if he quit?" Of course not!

Old 12-05-2009, 11:40 AM

2,352 posts, read 2,281,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Since I am not from Alaska, I am unfamiliar with the type of evangelical sect you are referring to. Could you clarify?
She's an Assembly of God Sheep.

They are a whacked out lot. Faith healers and shamers.

Old 12-05-2009, 12:24 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,281,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
My laugh of the day is when people refer to her as Governor Palin.
It is proper to call a person who was elected to high office (and Governor is a high office) to address that person by their elected title

That is why for example, if you were to meet Bill Clinton, it would be proper protocol to address him as "Mr. President".

Old 12-05-2009, 12:30 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,580,542 times
Quote:
It is proper to call a person who was elected to high office (and Governor is a high office) to address that person by their elected title

That is why for example, if you were to meet Bill Clinton, it would be proper protocol to address him as "Mr. President".
Yes. And Clinton did not quit. He deserves to be called "Mr. President" still. Just like Bush. Even though he was the worst president (in my opinion) I would call him President too. I am just impressed he did not quit while having a 22 percent approval rating. Good job on his part there.

But Palin quit because of the "liberal" media and the ethical claims. If she was innocent and knew it was false, why quit?

She is just Sarah Palin now. Not Governor anything.

Old 12-05-2009, 12:31 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,770,208 times
Quote:

True. But I'm still wondering what senate seat you think she might get. She could probably win Begich's, but that's a few years down the road. I doubt she'll even try for L. Murkowski's and I don't think that's one she could win.

Old 12-05-2009, 12:33 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,334,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Yes. And Clinton did not quit. He deserves to be called "Mr. President" still. Just like Bush. Even though he was the worst president (in my opinion) I would call him President too. I am just impressed he did not quit while having a 22 percent approval rating. Good job on his part there.

But Palin quit because of the "liberal" media and the ethical claims. If she was innocent and knew it was false, why quit?

She is just Sarah Palin now. Not Governor anything.
And Bill Clinton will hopefully remain the go back kid.

Old 12-05-2009, 12:35 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,842,436 times
Quote:
But, if we lose sight of the Creator - God - we lose sight of what is really important in our lives.

It is encouraging when I read reports and studies of the resurgence of Religious "Clubs" or "Organizations" on our school campus's. We are seeing more young people attending Church on Sunday. We are seeing more of these young people giving of their time to help others - as God taught us to do.
Not according to other sources:

The End of Christian America
Quote:
The percentage of self-identified Christians has fallen 10 points in the past two decades. How that statistic explains who we are now—and what, as a nation, we are about to become.
Meacham: The End of Christian America | Newsweek Religion | Newsweek.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies