Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is marriage sacred?
Yes 58 41.73%
No 81 58.27%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 04:27 AM

20,349 posts, read 19,953,413 times

Advertisements

I know mine is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 05:22 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,495,300 times
There is nothing sacred about marriage at all. It's an instrument of secular society that many religions have incorporated into their list of rituals as a means of providing a feel-good confirmation and communal recognition for the decisions of members, even those of the most obviously mismatched couples.

The divorce rate of 50% commonly bandied about is inaccurate and misleading, but the actual chance of eventual divorce in a first marriage is significant enough that each partner should take care to establish and maintain a capacity for self-sufficiency. It's worth bearing in mind that it isn't only divorce that can put you in sudden need of that. That said, the rough odds of a first marriage ending in divorce are 20% within 5 years, 30% within 10 years, and 40% within 15 years. Things slow down after that. The average first marriage ending in divorce does so after about 11 years.

These numbers however are signficantly skewed by the absolutely horrible record of groups such as those who marry in their teens and those who marry when the woman is already pregnant. These are basically crash-and-burn scenarios. If on the other hand, prospective partners are at least 25 years of age, have at least some college education, have a combined income of at least $50K, do not have a baby either before or within one year of marriage, have some form of common religious belief, and come themselves from intact families, the odds of a first marriage ending in divorce fall dramatically. The biggies in this list are the income, baby, and age factors. Meeting just those three would cut the risk of divorce about in half. Meeting the others as well would cut it by about three-quarters. So this is not a one-size-fits-all sort of thing. Divorce does not occur randomly, so there is no single rate that will apply to everyone.

Old 12-05-2009, 11:29 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,582,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
it should be sacred, otherwise you are being a hypocrite by taking the vows.

don't get married then and don't make promises you don't intend to keep. that would solve it......
Yeah but I want the tax breaks.

Old 12-05-2009, 11:38 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,286,148 times
Yes, Marriage is sacred.

Marriage is two people promising to one another

My wife and I are one.

Old 12-05-2009, 11:41 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,756,420 times
marriage is a choice.

Old 12-05-2009, 11:42 AM

3,857 posts, read 4,218,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
sacred as in the religious concept? its a sacrament but the law has defiled it. btw marriage failure is 50% but marriage itself has fallen 50% since 1975. its a double whammy. that is why you see so many frustrated angry women. hard to build a nest by yourself. womens movement made good on many of its promises, but women are far from pleased with the results.
Since when do you speak for "women"?

Old 12-05-2009, 11:42 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,695,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
it should be sacred, otherwise you are being a hypocrite by taking the vows.

don't get married then and don't make promises you don't intend to keep. that would solve it......
Wow. Very judgmental.

Sometimes unpredictable things happen in life. To blame people for not being perfect is quite harsh - maybe even Taliban-like.

Old 12-05-2009, 11:43 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,412,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
I honestly don't think so. Look at our divorce rates. Fifty one percent. Dang. That is over HALF the marriages in this country.

It is not about love anymore as it is about tax breaks. That is the only reason I think I would get married. Don't get me wrong, I love the one who I am with but we can be together and in love without getting married. You don't need to be in love to get married. But I want the tax breaks when we eventually decide to settle.

I actually know someone who married their friend just for tax cuts and they are getting it.

I don't think marriage is sacred or necessary anymore.
Anyone who has read any of my posts on marriage in general, knows that I believe that it is something the state shouldn't be involved with, and that its on a decline.

That said, I have respect for the institution. That, and perhaps its my twisted sense of keeping my word, but I believe when you make a pledge, you honor it.

This is why I will never get married. I may love the person I'm with, but that doesn't mean that I will love her, if she becomes vegetable, or if she ruins my life in some malicious way, or any other reason I could come up with to not be with her.

I might get married, oh, when I'm 80. Its not going to happen in my 30's, 40's, or 50's thats for damn sure.

Old 12-05-2009, 11:44 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,695,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Yeah but I want the tax breaks.
Then you should just get one of those pseudo-marriages that a few states allow for second-class citizens - you know - a civil union.

Oh - but you won't get the federal tax breaks. You'll have to wait awhile for that - no one knows how long. Hopefully you and your partner won't mind having to file your federal tax return as single individuals, even with your pseudo-marriage/civil union/domestic partnership - or whatever the hell the freaks call it.

Last edited by AnUnidentifiedMale; 12-05-2009 at 11:56 AM..

Old 12-05-2009, 11:51 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,582,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Then you should just get one of those pseudo-marriages that a few states allow for second-class citizens - you know - a civil union.
I am with you on that one.

You have no idea how passionate I am for gay rights and allowing them the right to the benefits of marriage. Tax breaks, visitation and all.

100 percent behind you all on this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies