Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 04:36 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,273,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
I am fairly sure that Christians are the source of practically all science and technology in the last 500 years. What makes you think Christians will turn their backs on science just because they "REGAIN" more power.
Because the far right has turned its back on science since around the 1890s when it started to become more and more evident that the earth was older than 6000 years. The fringe right is pretty much against all modern science. Keep in mind I am not talking about Christians but instead the far evangelical Right. People like Palin, Huckabee, Dobson, Falwell, Robertson, Phelps, etc fit into this school of thinking. These people also have tons of followers, most concentrated in the rural areas of this country where they are actually the majority (my hometown in Arkansas had laws banning alcohol, homosexuality, and even dancing!). Though they are a minority in the urban areas they are VERY vocal and VERY politically active and have a lot of power in this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 04:47 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,129,044 times
You are not a Christian I bet .

Everything you said was wrong but this tidbit you could possibly understand .
Science ...
Everything we find through the true study of science is wonderful . God gave us brains to study his earth . Some people lie about what the data shows and Christians like to see all the data .
We like to debate science, we sometimes debate what the Bible is telling us !
Merry Christmas

Old 12-10-2009, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Because the far right has turned its back on science since around the 1890s when it started to become more and more evident that the earth was older than 6000 years. The fringe right is pretty much against all modern science. Keep in mind I am not talking about Christians but instead the far evangelical Right. People like Palin, Huckabee, Dobson, Falwell, Robertson, Phelps, etc fit into this school of thinking. These people also have tons of followers, most concentrated in the rural areas of this country where they are actually the majority (my hometown in Arkansas had laws banning alcohol, homosexuality, and even dancing!). Though they are a minority in the urban areas they are VERY vocal and VERY politically active and have a lot of power in this country.
What town is this ?
"had laws"... I guess the Christ lovers had a change of heart ?

Old 12-10-2009, 04:52 PM

38,065 posts, read 22,219,705 times
Quote:
Here are my predictions if the religious right were to ever get complete power in the USA, which could happen if Obama screws up bad enough and this country elects Palin as President and congress is overtaken by ultra-conservative Republicans.

-Science would be banned from schools and be replaced with Bible classes
-Any scientist who openly denied a literal 6-day creation that occurred 6000 years ago would be put on a watch list
-Divorce would be banned
-Gays would be tortured and killed if they refused to be "cured" by a group such as Exodus International
-Everyone would be required to attend church and the government would track it by a church membership ID card
-All churches that denied a literal, fundamentalist interpretation of the Bible would be closed, non-Christian religious groups would have to go underground
-Alcohol would be banned
-Women would be banned from holding full-time jobs if they had children under age 16
-The prerequisite for holding political office would be to have once been a full time minister i.e. Huckabee
-The Constitution would be amended repealing the First Amendment, and the Bible, specifically Mosaic Law (Leviticus) would be declared as equal to the Constitution in determining the laws of the United States
-In order to ensure they never lost power in the US again, they would only allow certain people to vote that passed a "holiness test" in the national Baptist church
-Shirley Phelps Roper would be Attorney General of the United States

Thoughts?
Pretty much all of this is ridiculous and a lot of it is unconstitutional.

We can try what the country would be like under complete control by the Marxist left just by watching 0bama and Pelosi, and a lot of it would be unconstitutional too.

In other words, don't let the wacky extremes of either political party gain complete control. Ooops, to late, the far left libs are in control today... and it sucks.

Old 12-10-2009, 04:52 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,226,758 times
And let me give you some thoughts on these issues.

Quote:
-Science would be banned from schools and be replaced with Bible classes
Science would never be banned because it makes peoples lives better.

Quote:
-Any scientist who openly denied a literal 6-day creation that occurred 6000 years ago would be put on a watch list
There have been plenty of scientists that went against the church. Most of the great astrologers. While many were called heretics, I don't remember any of them being murdered and all their research oppressed. If they did, you wouldn't know about them now.

Quote:
-Divorce would be banned
Honestly, divorce, along with marriage, is becoming an institution with less and less value. I can't say that divorce shouldn't be allowed, but the extremely high rates of divorce are not a good thing. I would rather divorce not being granted for anything other than severe abuse(mental or physical) or adultery. At least it might people think twice before getting married in the first place. I know plenty of people who don't even get married after being engaged, why did you even propose? And then theres the promise-ring crowd. Marriage or the promise of marriage, is being almost used as a tool to just "get laid" for a while till you find something better.

Quote:
-Gays would be tortured and killed if they refused to be "cured" by a group such as Exodus International
Gays are an issue. There is no doubt in my mind that it is partially genetic. I think the government should invest heavily in genetic research to how to "fix" the homosexual problem. And through hormone therapy in-utero(which is believed to be a primary cause). The truth is, there is absolutely no need for homosexuals in our world. If everyone was just heterosexual(not by force), things would be better for everyone.

Quote:
-Everyone would be required to attend church and the government would track it by a church membership ID card
I think everyone should learn morals and values. While families can and do teach their children morals. The church(if it isn't a bunch of crazies) does a great job at instilling good values in people. I don't think it should be mandated for people to have to go to church(I know I don't), I do think the church serves a great purpose, and I support my mothers church as much as I can. They do great things in the community.

Quote:
-All churches that denied a literal, fundamentalist interpretation of the Bible would be closed, non-Christian religious groups would have to go underground
I highly doubt it, there are so many different denominations that interpret the bible differently. Most of them are not evangelicals. But they still don't support abortion.

Quote:
-Alcohol would be banned
This is a tricky situation. Alcohol brings basically no social benefits to humanity. On the other hand, people like to drink, and trying to get rid of alcohol is political suicide. Other than the gang violence and the mafia of the prohibition era, it was an era of exceptionally low crime and prosperity.

Quote:
-Women would be banned from holding full-time jobs if they had children under age 16
Honestly, unless they are single-parents, then I can totally agree with this one. There has been severe consequences to the lack of parents at home with their kids. We should be more supportive of "responsible" families who are trying to raise "Our future".

Quote:
-The prerequisite for holding political office would be to have once been a full time minister i.e. Huckabee
I highly doubt this would be a requirement. But I am sure that, just like now, you pretty much won't be able to be elected unless you are a devout member of a church.

Quote:
-The Constitution would be amended repealing the First Amendment, and the Bible, specifically Mosaic Law (Leviticus) would be declared as equal to the Constitution in determining the laws of the United States
I wouldn't say they would repeal the entire first amendment. But they might amend the first amendment to only give free of religion to all religious who believe that Jesus was god's son. Honestly, I don't understand why any country would want to have multiple religions in a single country. It just causes social turmoil.

Quote:
-In order to ensure they never lost power in the US again, they would only allow certain people to vote that passed a "holiness test" in the national Baptist church
I doubt they would pass any sort of holyness test. But I would like a general political knowledge test as a requirement to vote. Its ridiculous that ignorant people, that have no clue about the constitution, about how the government works, the drawbacks of certain policies, and know absolutely nothing about this countries history. Can walk into a voting booth and drop their vote down over mine.

Last edited by Redshadowz; 12-10-2009 at 05:14 PM..

Old 12-10-2009, 04:57 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,967,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymie View Post
We like to debate science, we sometimes debate what the Bible is telling us !
Yep, its called Sunday School.

Old 12-10-2009, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Yep, its called Sunday School.
People do debate things like killing is self defense , is it a sin or not ? Divorce , life support ...

Old 12-10-2009, 05:08 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,273,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymie View Post
What town is this ?
"had laws"... I guess the Christ lovers had a change of heart ?
Fort Smith, Arkansas. The dancing law was repealed in the 1990s but the other laws still stand. Before that, schools had the host their prom far away where dancing was legal. In addition, it wasn't until 2000 when the local cable company was bought out by Cox Communications that they were allowed to offer MTV, and even then people protested.

Old 12-10-2009, 05:09 PM

10,836 posts, read 14,954,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossomo View Post
I hope you're not serious, that's not how it would go down. Many of you would label me a neo-con but I am opposed to every one of those bullet points. I'm sure the huge majority on the right will say the same. The right will not tolerate far-right draconian policies as much as we are opposed to far left policies.

Just saying that if Palin was president, none of those points would materialize.
And only 2%, if that high, of the "religious right" would support such stupidity.

Why is the left so terrified of Palin when she isn't even running?

Old 12-10-2009, 05:12 PM

5,944 posts, read 5,591,234 times
Default The USA with the Religious Right in complete power....

Would be an English speaking version of Iran and Saudi Arabia. Both of those garbage heaps are under the complete control of religious right wing fundamentalists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies