Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should atheists be banned from holding public office?
Yes 5 7.46%
No 61 91.04%
Not sure 1 1.49%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 02:52 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,868,291 times

Advertisements

Yeah, after 8 years of Bush, I can totally see why Atheists should be banned Didn't he once say that "god's voice" influenced him in the decision making of the first war? I think he said he had "heard" something. Must have "heard" a lot... All those voices in his head. No wonder he was all confused all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 02:55 PM

981 posts, read 806,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and it is too bad, most people in the south were be appalled at the action of the city counsil..there will always be those that need their head examimed.

Now, I don't think I would want the chruch secratery to be an atheist..
It really is too bad, because I like the South. I just hate how things like this overshadow the more rational and open-minded folks who live there.

Old 12-16-2009, 03:04 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justcause View Post
It really is too bad, because I like the South. I just hate how things like this overshadow the more rational and open-minded folks who live there.
Why does it overshadow the rational and open-minded people who live in the South? It's just an outdated law. How does it reflect on the region as a whole? There are numerous outdated laws on the books in every state. If adultery is still illegal in New Hampshire, does that overshadow the more rational and open-minded residents of New Hampshire? If it was legal to beat your wife in New Jersey until the 1980's, did that overshadow the state's more progressive and equality-minded residents? Why is it that laws on the books in the South cast bigger shadows than laws on the books in the North?

Old 12-16-2009, 03:09 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,576,037 times
I cannot wait to see the first person from the religious right vote "Yes" to this and proclaim they are being persecuted.

It will come soon enough, I am sure!

Old 12-16-2009, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Why does it overshadow the rational and open-minded people who live in the South? It's just an outdated law. How does it reflect on the region as a whole? There are numerous outdated laws on the books in every state. If adultery is still illegal in New Hampshire, does that overshadow the more rational and open-minded residents of New Hampshire? If it was legal to beat your wife in New Jersey until the 1980's, did that overshadow the state's more progressive and equality-minded residents? Why is it that laws on the books in the South cast bigger shadows than laws on the books in the North?
Ummm... maybe because it pertains to religion and his opponents are using his atheism against him, essentially making public office a holy war? Next, you'll be telling me that religion and the South are not symbolically synonymous and that I am putting a "liberal spin" on the situation.

Asheville City Councilman Cecil Bothwell believes in ending the death penalty, conserving water and reforming government — but he doesn't believe in God. His political opponents say that's a sin that makes him unworthy of serving in office, and they've got the North Carolina Constitution on their side.

Old 12-16-2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
I cannot wait to see the first person from the religious right vote "Yes" to this and proclaim they are being persecuted.

It will come soon enough, I am sure!
Wait...are you actually saying you want them to come?

Old 12-16-2009, 03:13 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,639,838 times
This whole debate is silly. Whether someone doesn't believe in God is a personal issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Asheville City Councilman Cecil Bothwell believes in ending the death penalty, conserving water and reforming government — but he doesn't believe in God. His political opponents say that's a sin that makes him unworthy of serving in office, and they've got the North Carolina Constitution on their side.

The Associated Press: Lawsuit threatened over atheist councilman in NC
I wouldn't vote for him because I wouldn't vote for any soft headcase who wants to eliminate capital punishment.

Old 12-16-2009, 03:17 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,550,307 times
Default Should atheists be banned from holding public office?

Yes!

We're evil!

Old 12-16-2009, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Yes!

We're evil!

Now THAT was a funny read.

Old 12-16-2009, 03:22 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justcause View Post
Ummm... maybe because it pertains to religion and his opponents are using his atheism against him, essentially making public office a holy war? Next, you'll be telling me that religion and the South are not symbolically synonymous and that I am putting a "liberal spin" on the situation.

Ummm, I'm not asking if this law pertains to religion. I'm challenging you to explain why a law that pertains to religion is more overshadowing of a region when that region is the South, and a law that pertains to religion (next you'll be telling me that the law against adultery isn't related to religion) is less overshadowing of a region when that region is New England. Can you tell me why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies