Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Gays and Lesbians announce to family and friends they are homosexual?
Yes, they should be told 10 33.33%
No, their sexual orientation is none of any one's business 11 36.67%
I have no opinion 9 30.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 08:09 AM

195 posts, read 293,917 times

Advertisements

Recently some friends and family members have come out of the closet and announced at a family or social event that they are in fact gay. Of course the reaction of the people is more interesting than the actual announcement.

The reaction usually comes down to this:

1) Why are you telling us this? Your sex life is your business.
2) What a shame, have you tried to get counseling/therapy?
3) What did your parents say when you told them?
4) Embarrassed silence
5) Walking away and never talking to them again (because they are sinners)

Rarely is the statement of coming out a joyish experience. It usually causes people to feel uncomfortable.

But maybe it is a form of therapy for the gay or lesbian person. So maybe in the long run it is a good idea for gay and lesbians to come out.

Should Gays and Lesbians announce to family and friends they are homosexual?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 08:55 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,014,195 times
I guess it's better than straight heterosexuals announcing to their family that they are homosexual.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:18 AM

155 posts, read 283,189 times
i mean they could but it shoud not really matter
if you are comfortable with your preference then.........hay do what your heart tells you
just don't expect your folks to be all okay about it when you know they don't except that
but you need to be true with your self

Old 12-30-2009, 09:24 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,898,418 times
My parents didn't care when I came out to them. But then again, I'm lucky to not have uptight crazy religious parents who desire to live in "the perfect world".

If you are gay, you should most def come out to your family and friends. This way, you can test them as well. Are your parents REAL parents who love their children unconditionally? Are your friends real friends?

Old 12-30-2009, 10:06 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,988,856 times
Now that I think about it I have never "announced" to my family and friends that I am heterosexual. So I suppose I don't see the necessity of a homosexual "announcing".

Old 12-30-2009, 10:49 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,898,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J'aimeDesVilles View Post
Now that I think about it I have never "announced" to my family and friends that I am heterosexual. So I suppose I don't see the necessity of a homosexual "announcing".
So, if you were gay.. you would just continue your life as is..and then answer any questions as to "why have you and your roommate been living together for the last 15 years?" But only if they ask, right?

Old 12-30-2009, 11:04 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,988,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
So, if you were gay.. you would just continue your life as is..and then answer any questions as to "why have you and your roommate been living together for the last 15 years?" But only if they ask, right?
Yeah. I suppose it would depend on who asked and how they asked.

I have a friend I have known since junior high (over 30 years) who has never had a girlfriend (or boyfriend) or even been on a date as far as I know. He has never proclaimed his preference and I have never asked. I don't think he is gay. I assume he is basically asexual but am not sure.

Am I curious? I used to be but no longer. I just accept him as he is, a good friend. I guess that is my point. If your family and friends are true and care for you as a person then there is no need to "announce" your sexuality. Chances are the people that really know you have a pretty good idea anyway and don't think any differently of you.

Old 12-30-2009, 11:09 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,358,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranded and Lonely View Post
Recently some friends and family members have come out of the closet and announced at a family or social event that they are in fact gay. Of course the reaction of the people is more interesting than the actual announcement.

The reaction usually comes down to this:

1) Why are you telling us this? Your sex life is your business.
2) What a shame, have you tried to get counseling/therapy?
3) What did your parents say when you told them?
4) Embarrassed silence
5) Walking away and never talking to them again (because they are sinners)

Rarely is the statement of coming out a joyish experience. It usually causes people to feel uncomfortable.

But maybe it is a form of therapy for the gay or lesbian person. So maybe in the long run it is a good idea for gay and lesbians to come out.

Should Gays and Lesbians announce to family and friends they are homosexual?
So, StrandedandLonely, is there something you'd like to tell us? We're listening.

Old 12-30-2009, 11:15 AM

29,748 posts, read 34,409,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
But not making a huge announcement isn't the same thing as keeping it a secret. Most gay people go about their daily business, and mention boyfriends/girlfriends/partners as they deem it necessary, just like everyone else. Someone comfortable with themselves wouldn't refer to a partner of 15 years as a "roommate".

Old 12-30-2009, 11:30 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,903,403 times
Sexuality, Political Affiliation, Religious Belief... if you feel that most of your friends and family assume you are one way, and you are not, I don't see the problem with clarifying where you stand. I would imagine it would be the same to a person who was raised as a Pentecostal but then chose to be a Buddhist, or raised in a family of staunch republicans but chose to be a Democrat. You're not asking others to become gay/Buddhist/democrat, just for them to realize that they should no longer assume that you are what they think you are, or that you share their views on the subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies