Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 06:02 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,258,227 times

Advertisements

Is it true that hate crimes legislation will endanger Christian preachers for preaching homosexuality is a sin? I am not talking about Fred Phelps Westboro stuff but the generic anti-gay preaching you find in most evangelical churches. Is this really a threat or is it propaganda by the Christian right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 06:42 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,174,360 times
Calling homosexuality a sin isn't a hate crime. Harming somebody because they are gay is.

The former is very closed-minded and ignorant, but it is not a crime. They're protected under the First Amendment.

Old 04-03-2008, 06:45 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,607,236 times
Who knows? It is a short step from hate crime to hate speach. Until we have a test case who can say if calling a homosexuality a sin is hate speach.

It can only be hate speach if it addresses a protected class of people and hate crimes legislation is one way we use to introduce new protected classes of people, so once homosexuals are a protected class the door is open for expanded interpretations of all types of protective laws.

Old 04-03-2008, 06:46 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,337,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
Calling homosexuality a sin isn't a hate crime. Harming somebody because they are gay is.

The former is very closed-minded and ignorant, but it is not a crime. They're protected under the First Amendment.
Well said, grasshopper.

Old 04-03-2008, 06:50 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post

Harming somebody is a crime, whether they are gay or not. Why is a special law needed to criminalize something that is already criminal?

Answer: To subvert the double-jeopardy provisions. Try a person in a state court for assault and he is acquitted, you can still charge him again for exactly the same action in federal court.

You didn't REALLY think men with power would let the Constitution protect people without power, did you?

Old 04-03-2008, 06:55 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,174,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Harming somebody is a crime, whether they are gay or not. Why is a special law needed to criminalize something that is already criminal?
I've never supported the whole "hate crime" thing either. I was just stating what would and wouldn't fit the criteria.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:30 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,684,460 times
Good I hope everything is hate crime... so I can sue all the rapers for hating white people.

Old 04-04-2008, 02:30 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,031,559 times
Has anyone ever heard of a violent crime that was committed out of love rather than hate? Of course not, so why tack on an extra punishment for this type of crime just because the victim happened to be black, gay, or any other protected status? It makes no sense.

I could commit a crime against someone and in doing so have more hate coursing through my veins than you could ever imagine, but as long as my victim is a white heterosexual, it isn't a "hate crime." Once again, makes no sense.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:30 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,170,052 times
Ant which is designed to terrorize and supress a certain segment of the citizenry is certainly a hate crime. Wouldn't hate crime laws also protect Christians from physical persecution?

Old 04-04-2008, 08:29 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,115,622 times
This has already happened to preachers in European countries, and I believe some in Canada were threatened. Those who wish to stifle your first amendment right will claim that your words can do severe damage to someone else and you have no right to say them (similar to yelling "fire" in a theater).

This is one of many steps to removing freedom...it will happen eventually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies