Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 07:45 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times

Advertisements

Why are 95% of blacks members of the Democratic Party, and not the Republican? Is it because the Republicans are not welcoming of them?

Old 01-31-2010, 07:54 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Why are 95% of blacks members of the Democratic Party, and not the Republican? Is it because the Republicans are not welcoming of them?
Most likely for the same reason this thread is started.. Uneducated Democrats with absolutely positively no facts, repeating bs over and over again, eventually you believe it.

Hey, if you want to continue to support the party that keeps individuals poor, thats your choice, but dont be surprised when others disagree and object to poverty.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:01 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,508,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Most likely for the same reason this thread is started.. Uneducated Democrats with absolutely positively no facts, repeating bs over and over again, eventually you believe it.

Hey, if you want to continue to support the party that keeps individuals poor, thats your choice, but dont be surprised when others disagree and object to poverty.
My theory is that if Obama was white most blacks would not be supporting him right now.

White democrats and white independents and white republicans that voted for him no longer support him. Only the blacks and the Progressives like this guy.

If he were white and proposing this stuff blacks wouldn't support him. most blacks are not very liberal. They have just been told over and over again that republicans want to suppress them. Eventually, they believe it.

I can understand why blacks like Obama. Just wish the first black president had been more moderate. Obama is killing any future blacks form ever being considered. And any future democrats.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:11 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
I support neither party--but I do think of the Republicans as the party of elitists.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:23 AM

621 posts, read 1,054,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I support neither party--but I do think of the Republicans as the party of elitists.
Why?

Old 02-01-2010, 02:27 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪♫♪♪♫♫♪♥ View Post
Read this very closely. If you were a black person living in 19th century America, which party would you align yourself with? Then, think about which party blacks continued to align themselves with for the next 100 years. And in 1960 when a jailed Dr. King is convinced by a Democratic presidential candidate to switch parties and put his support behind that candidate in exchange for getting him out of jail, is it any surprise that Democrat is practically the default choice of blacks today?
It is no surprise that most African-Americans are voting Democrat. It is a matter of voting on what is one's best interest, and for the most part, Republicans have not been working in the best interests of African-Americans.

Nixon was trying the Southern strategy to get elected. It was during the Civil Rights movement that the Southern states started voting Republican. Before that, the Democratic party was guaranteed the South. When the Democratic party put forth Civil Rights legislation giving African-Americans(and all persons in general), the right to vote, and trying to get rid of discrimination. That is when the South went from Democrat to Republican. The Republican party was fighting Civil Rights legislation.

Reagan didn't support any of the Civil Rights legislation, deeming it "too much government". Personally, the way I look at it, I need that Civil Rights legislation. If anyone were to try to deny me the right to vote, the legislation would be there to make sure I get the right to vote. Someone who is for less government might say "let the states decide". I don't trust it. Sometimes the federal government needs to keep someone in line to keep crap like that from happen.

One asks about the low presence of African-Americans in the Republican party, one should look to the 1960's and onward.

Old 08-09-2013, 11:04 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,743,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okccowboy View Post
There are ZERO black Republicans in the US Congress. Why is that? The logical answer is that the Republican base is racist.
Or maybe we look at people, their beliefs, and their views, and not their skin color?

Old 08-09-2013, 11:10 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okccowboy View Post
There are ZERO black Republicans in the US Congress. Why is that? The logical answer is that the Republican base is racist.
rubbish. you might want to read this;

List of African-American Republicans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

there are and were black republicans in various elected positions. just because there are none in congress right now doesnt mean that republicans suddenle became racist. one bit of information for you, the first black congressman was a republican.

Old 08-10-2013, 12:34 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,693,069 times
Why has the NAACP not elected a white, brown or yellow person as the President of their organization? Could it be because they are racist???

Old 08-10-2013, 03:19 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Wow, someone decided to drag this out from the basement for some reason.

Anyway, a large reason is that so many do not want to put their families through the "Uncle Tom" slurs so prevalent when a minority takes up positions it is expected of them to not hold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies