Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support or oppose Biblical references on military weapons?
Support 13 18.31%
Oppose 38 53.52%
Don't care 20 28.17%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 05:47 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,674,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
There are many proclaimed Christians who that would probably apply to as well. Just because someone (or a country) proclaims "In God we trust" or swears "so help me God" it doesn't necessarily make them righteous or the "good guy" nor does it mean Jesus sees you in good grace.

It is easy to use certain text or quote from the bible to make oneself believe they are righteous but more often it is perverted in view, the more one preaches selectively from scripture to validate their stance the more often the farther from the truth it becomes. . American soldiers are not good guys or righteous just because the country claims it is in the light of Jesus. Ego and pride mixed with selective quotes from scripture can make some believe they are righteous in their own mind when only in their mind it is so.

Soldiers just like other people you will find good people, murderers and theives and having scripture written on a weapon or weapon part that portays whoever is using it as righteous is naive and wrong.

This argument isn't/shoudn't be about seperation of church and state or atheists, it is about humilty or lack of it and hypocrisy.

Soldiers are sent into a situation that shouldn't have to happen, and they do what they have to do to survive and protect their buddy. And the people and nation that sends them there even if it had to happen are better off asking for help and forgiveness from God rather than believing they were automatically righteous. It is easy to say that unitended deaths are just "what happens in war" when one thinks they have truth and goodness on their side but do they?

I guess you proved my point. Alot of liberal blather with no meaning or content.

1. The scopes are good scopes- would you rather have inferior, "less offensive" scopes? A little message here- when you come to the point of shooting someone, you really do not care at that time whether you are hurting thier feelings and being PC.

2. Who cares what numbers are on the scopes- would you be happier if it was "6 6 6"?

3. Only a liberal idiot would make a big deal of this- it is not a big deal, except to those with small minds

4. Our soldiers are the good guys. Who are your "good guys"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 05:53 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,399,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I guess you proved my point. Alot of liberal blather with no meaning or content.

1. The scopes are good scopes- would you rather have inferior, "less offensive" scopes? A little message here- when you come to the point of shooting someone, you really do not care at that time whether you are hurting thier feelings and being PC.

2. Who cares what numbers are on the scopes- would you be happier if it was "6 6 6"?

3. Only a liberal idiot would make a big deal of this- it is not a big deal, except to those with small minds

4. Our soldiers are the good guys. Who are your "good guys"?

The greater message escapes them (him).

Old 01-20-2010, 06:30 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,784,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Thanks for the clarification.
Let the killing continue.
Not a problem; you needed it. The commandment's original purpose was not to discourage the taking of human life in war nor in defense of home, life or family. If you are going to deliberately (or ignorantly) imply that there is some great hypocrisy in the notion of a Christian soldier, you should probably read the bible first and understand what you are talking about. As it is, your position is as inflexible, ignorant and reprehensible as a fanatical, "the world is 3,000 years old" fundamentalist Christian.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:52 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,858,652 times
My question is, regardless of whether it violates Pentagon policy or not, why would we want our soldiers to be mushy emotional bible thumpers? Wouldn't we rather have them as hardened, scientific and "black and white" as possible?

Old 01-20-2010, 07:01 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,227,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
My question is, regardless of whether it violates Pentagon policy or not, why would we want our soldiers to be mushy emotional bible thumpers? Wouldn't we rather have them as hardened, scientific and "black and white" as possible?
I doubt that many soldiers took the time to notice it or even care if someone told them about it.
If soldiers found it to be an issue why didn't they raise the issue themselves?
No not because they are not allowed to. As we have seen soldiers will speak out on a topic that they are concerned about.
The bottom line is the majority just don't care.
My question is why should we? I mean we are not on the battle field.
I think some are making a mountain out of a really small mole hill.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:17 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,858,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I doubt that many soldiers took the time to notice it or even care if someone told them about it.
If soldiers found it to be an issue why didn't they raise the issue themselves?
No not because they are not allowed to. As we have seen soldiers will speak out on a topic that they are concerned about.
The bottom line is the majority just don't care.
My question is why should we? I mean we are not on the battle field.
I think some are making a mountain out of a really small mole hill.
As a matter of fact, complaints were filed by soldiers. You're right, the makers of these scopes sure are making a mountain out of a mole hill by putting bible codes on them. It'd probably save them time and money by just using a regular serial number system. I wonder if they quality inspect for book, verse and passage number?

Old 01-20-2010, 09:49 PM

247 posts, read 380,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
If a soldier is a Christian, it does not make him or her a mushy emotional bible thumper. Many soldiers are Christian. I was a soldier. I served in Korea. I served in 2 tours of duty in Iraq. I came back without my legs. I am a Christian, and I was a damned good soldier.

Soldiers that are mushy and emotional get discharged because they pose a danger to the rest of the troop.

Really, people that have NEVER been in the military or spent one day in combat, really should watch it when they just run off at the mouth without knowing any facts about the situations they're making reference to.

Old 01-20-2010, 10:25 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,985,959 times
Well even the Nazis soilders had Gott mit uns on the belts which meant God with us.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:16 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,487,443 times
When someone actually using it gets his panties all wadded up in a ball, then maybe it should be a big deal. Until an American athiest/jew/christian/muslim/wiccan/whatever soldier has a problem with it...who cares? Joejitsu really knows how to troll.

And to the poster up thread who had a relative who joined the military but never thought he'd have to go to a war....WHY did he join? For a free ride? The US military is NOT a free ride, not anymore at least. It may seem like it, for some, who make really bad decisions at a young age and need some "free" way to get a college education or housing/support for a young family, but when someone joins the military for all the benefits/escape and can't understand that when they are called to duty and don't like executing their training...that's their own fault. And apparently just another bad, misguided and easy way out (or so they thought) decision.

Pathetic.

Last edited by JerseyG; 01-20-2010 at 11:33 PM..

Old 01-21-2010, 12:23 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,316,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyG View Post

And to the poster up thread who had a relative who joined the military but never thought he'd have to go to a war....WHY did he join? For a free ride? The US military is NOT a free ride, not anymore at least. It may seem like it, for some, who make really bad decisions at a young age and need some "free" way to get a college education or housing/support for a young family, but when someone joins the military for all the benefits/escape and can't understand that when they are called to duty and don't like executing their training...that's their own fault. And apparently just another bad, misguided and easy way out (or so they thought) decision.

Pathetic.
I hope you're not talking about my great-nephew who did several tours in Iraq and came back having a really hard time dealing with the guilt of taking lives which went against his seriously devout Catholic upbringing. He joined after 9-11 and knew full well he'd be fighting. But for the others who do join for the so-called free ride can you really blame them for getting that impression when the recruiters and recruiting advertisement talk about little else but the benefits?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies