Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support or oppose Biblical references on military weapons?
Support 13 18.31%
Oppose 38 53.52%
Don't care 20 28.17%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 07:24 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,919,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Ho View Post
If a soldier is a Christian, it does not make him or her a mushy emotional bible thumper. Many soldiers are Christian. I was a soldier. I served in Korea. I served in 2 tours of duty in Iraq. I came back without my legs. I am a Christian, and I was a damned good soldier.

Soldiers that are mushy and emotional get discharged because they pose a danger to the rest of the troop.

Really, people that have NEVER been in the military or spent one day in combat, really should watch it when they just run off at the mouth without knowing any facts about the situations they're making reference to.
I don't mind if soldiers are Christians, and hold onto their beliefs while in combat. I do have a problem with our government supporting any religion, on anything.

And I should watch out for what? I've never served in congress, can I not hold them accountable? I've never been a corporate CEO, can I not hold them accountable if they screw us taxpayers/citizens? I've never been a doctor, does that mean I can't hold my healthcare provider accountable?

Please suck your chest back in and elaborate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 07:28 AM

13,634 posts, read 21,455,742 times
Loyality to God is more important than loyality to country when the two conflict.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:30 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,919,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Loyality to God is more important to loyality to country when the two conflict.
That's a fine saying for people who believe in God, but it does not make for good public policy. Especially in combat, where soldiers might lay down their arms and not fight because "Jesus told them not to."

Old 01-21-2010, 07:31 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,748,495 times
Quote:
Loyality to God is more important than loyality to country when the two conflict.
Can't rep you for this, but it's true and watch out. This will bring them out of their corners ready to take you apart.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:35 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,353,201 times
Quote:
What did the mythical figure of Jesus say in the man-written bible: Render to Caesar the things that are Caeser's and to god the things that are gods.

As with most xians, you only want what you want, not what your man-written book says.

A great number of people aren't xian.
It's presumptuous, at best, to think you know what's good for others.

Keep your religion out of my life and away from my tax dollar supported items.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
That's a fine saying for people who believe in God, but it does not make for good public policy. Especially in combat, where soldiers might lay down their arms and not fight because "Jesus told them not to."

Which is why American's who claim to be the good guys just because they are American and that they claim God favors American's over other people and that American's are without sin should maybe stop and think about that and putting scripture on a weapon part may be hypocrisy considering a weapon is neither good nor evil but the person using it.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:42 AM

All of you are too busy arguing about being loyal to America over God or being anti religion that your argument about this is keeping religion out of your face that you all miss what I am trying to say.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:13 AM

247 posts, read 380,844 times
Quote:
I don't mind if soldiers are Christians, and hold onto their beliefs while in combat. I do have a problem with our government supporting any religion, on anything.
If you've no problem with soldiers that are Christians, then why make the following assumption:
Quote:
why would we want our soldiers to be mushy emotional bible thumpers
Quote:
And I should watch out for what?
Was I not clear enough for you? Here, let me repeat it again, and this time read it slowly -- maybe you'll understand it. If not, please look for the mushy emotional bible thumping definition below;
Quote:
Really, people that have NEVER been in the military or spent one day in combat, really should watch it when they just run off at the mouth without knowing any facts about the situations they're making reference to.
Simply it means to mind one's manners and not run-off at the mouth about things one has no facts about. Clear enough now?
Quote:
I've never served in congress, can I not hold them accountable? I've never been a corporate CEO, can I not hold them accountable if they screw us taxpayers/citizens? I've never been a doctor, does that mean I can't hold my healthcare provider accountable?
I never said you are not allowed to hold Congress responsible, nor corporate SEOs, nor healthcare providers. Your comparison of a Christian soldier to that of a mushy emotional bible thumper to that of holding congress/CEOs/healthcare (or whatever other examples you'd like to drag in) are not even in the same league.
Moderator cut: Calling out a moderator

Last edited by gallowsCalibrator; 01-21-2010 at 08:17 AM.. Reason: Moderators are free to discuss topics as any other poster.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:42 AM

8,286 posts, read 38,863,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Why do you suppose Christians never made that correction in the various translations that have taken place down through history? I don't doubt what you are saying is true. I only find it curious that in our enlightened times Christian leaders have not bothered to revised that commandment to be closer to what God supposedly said.
That's a good question and I wish I knew the answer. I suspect it has something to do with the fact that (i) these are probably not such enlightened times and (ii) the scriptures were put to paper by human hands and have been edited and revised countless times by human hands. Human hands seem to have a funny way of being influenced by the political culture that surrounds them and political cultures have a funny way of feeling superior to other political cultures.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:53 AM

2,087 posts, read 1,773,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
The original Hebrew words for MURDER and KILL are materially distinct from one another (as they are in English). "Thou shalt not murder" is the original commandment.

well please distinguish the difference between someone shooting the bank clerk in a robbery and the innocent child killed in a fire fight? I see none.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies