Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support or oppose Biblical references on military weapons?
Support 13 18.31%
Oppose 38 53.52%
Don't care 20 28.17%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 02:28 AM

689 posts, read 744,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
So as vet, why ignorant on subject of military policy?
Open the thread. Answer the dog tag question. Fellow vet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 02:36 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,816,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDTD2.0 View Post
How about dog tags? I'm a vet too. Better yet. How about this?

Army OKs Sikh Doc to Wear Beard, Turban
Weird for some reason your link didn't show up the first post. Anyhow, caught your second edition, and case by case decisions do get made routinely. I disagree that it should be made a permanent exception, but I trust the military will make that decision judiciously. Start precedent with permanent exceptions they'll face the next challenge from Hassidic customs.

We're getting off thread, however.

Old 01-22-2010, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Weird for some reason your link didn't show up the first post. Anyhow, caught your second edition, and case by case decisions do get made routinely. I disagree that it should be made a permanent exception, but I trust the military will make that decision judiciously. Start precedent with permanent exceptions they'll face the next challenge from Hassidic customs.

We're getting off thread, however.
You can hardly even see the serial numbers and you have a problem with it, but you have no problem with this guy getting a special exception because someone says so? It's fully on topic (never left). My "case by case" should be if the guy/gal actually fighting wants it on there, they should leave it. If not...here's a file.

Old 01-22-2010, 02:39 AM

805 posts, read 775,684 times
Quote:
Pardon? I'm a vet. I'm christian. It's against military policy. 3 votes of mine say no it doesn't belong there.

Any soldier like artinchicago wanting to redecorate their uniform to suit themselves runs contrary to military policy as well. Go be a swiss guard for the pope, see how he'd feel about your lack of discipline.
PC Alert! PC Alert!

Have you ever seen some of the *hit on our battle fatigues in Nam?

The shorter you got the more outrageous... and the man cut you some slack... no biggie.

If I was serving in Iraq or Ghanistan in a civilian location I'd sure as hell make them aware of my Christianity one way or another and puck the brass.(Smilie 3-6)

Old 01-22-2010, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtinChicago View Post
PC Alert! PC Alert!

Have you ever seen some of the *hit on our battle fatigues in Nam?

The shorter you got the more outrageous... and the man cut you some slack... no biggie.

If I was serving in Iraq or Ghanistan in a civilian location I'd sure as hell make them aware of my Christianity one way or another and puck the brass.(Smilie 3-6)

Here's the last line of this article.

A number of members of Congress wrote to U.S. Defense Secretary Robert Gates in August asking him to allow the men to serve while wearing the turban, beard and unshorn hair required by their faith.
"We do not believe that any American should have to choose between his religion and service to our country," the letter said.

Army OKs Sikh Doc to Wear Beard, Turban

I hope those members of Congress are going to bat for this situation too. I'd bet they aren't though. Somehow...I just get that feeling.

Old 01-22-2010, 04:19 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,340,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAsucks View Post
How would this be any different than those on the other side yelling Allah Akbar when they blow themselfs up?
My country is not a theocracy.
The biblical references are against military policy.
Why are we in their countries shooting at and bombing them?
Seriously.

Old 01-22-2010, 04:20 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,961,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Good. We shouldn't have Biblical references on our military weapons.
I completely agree.

Old 01-22-2010, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymberwulf View Post
I have found that the time soldiers pray the most is the time they are holding a weapon in their hands. Seems to me that a couple of bible verses on the weapon might be a bit appropriate.
And for buddhist, jewish, atheist, muslim soldiers, not so much.
The tyranny of the majority and all.
Not all soldiers are xian; it's unfortunate that you feel such contempt for neutrality.

Old 01-22-2010, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Maybe only the people actually doing the fighting instead of the people sitting at their computer in the comfort of their own homes should be the ones to answer this. That would probably be more appropriate.
It's against military policy.
This has been posted several times in the other threads on this topic.

Do you really want the middle east to be able to propagandize that the US has a religious jihad?

Where is the common sense in that?

Quote:
After people started whining about it.
You mean, until it was brought to leadership attention.
Would you have been happy if it were Koran verses? Most likely, not.

Quote:
You can hardly even see the serial numbers and you have a problem with it, but you have no problem with this guy getting a special exception because someone says so? It's fully on topic (never left). My "case by case" should be if the guy/gal actually fighting wants it on there, they should leave it. If not...here's a file.
It doesn't matter, it is inappropriate and against policy.

Old 01-22-2010, 04:33 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,816,158 times
Quote:
It is off point. Go ahead and start another thread. Christianity doesn't need anymore abuse.

There's a reason why most in military don't want a draft to be reinstated. I see the wisdom behind that decision when I read this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies