Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support or oppose Biblical references on military weapons?
Support 13 18.31%
Oppose 38 53.52%
Don't care 20 28.17%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 11:01 AM

2,087 posts, read 1,768,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post

Wars are a part of life. An unfortunate, lousy part of life on this planet. It is what it is. Jesus said it would be so:

When you hear of wars and rumors of wars, do not be alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come. 8 Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be earthquakes in various places, and famines. Mark 13:6-8
yes another "quote" written by someone generations later who didn't know jesus.....ahhh the bible

Quote:
Then why are there no atheists in foxholes?
first off not all religious people are christian, secondly just saying things like oh god doesn't mean you believe there is an all powerful being in the sky playing chess with the world
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Not a problem; you needed it. The commandment's original purpose was not to discourage the taking of human life in war nor in defense of home, life or family. If you are going to deliberately (or ignorantly) imply that there is some great hypocrisy in the notion of a Christian soldier, you should probably read the bible first and understand what you are talking about. As it is, your position is as inflexible, ignorant and reprehensible as a fanatical, "the world is 3,000 years old" fundamentalist Christian.

yes jesus supports bombing hospitals and shooting all trespassers. Can't you see that from the all loving god .....the same one that helped lepers but banishes non believers to eternal hell

Old 01-21-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Oh my. Why such anger? Jesus is a historical figure, documented by historians. Yes, there are Christians in prisons. Ever hear of prison ministries, Chuck Colson's being the better known.

They blow themselves up because of "desperation and contempt for the US. ? Are you serious?

No war does not HAVE to be part of life, but it is. What is your solution?

BTW, my responses were to several other posts; I didn't see your name among them. But, that's OK. Gives the angry anti-God crowd the opportunity to vent.

actually many historians doubt jesus existed. the bible is the sole source. I always wondered if christians would whole heartedly follow other things if they only had one source? Like if only one book was written about child conception would you 100% believe it as fact?

Old 01-21-2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:
I think those who do several tours of duty do so because they believe in the mission. It's to be admired, respected and appreciated. And I do appreciate our military men and women. This expresses it better than I can:

It is the soldier, not the President, who gives us Democracy.
It is the soldier, not Congress, who takes care of us...
...It is the soldier who salutes the flag, serves beneath the flag, whose coffin is draped by the flag, that allows the protestor to burn the flag....Father Dennis O'Brien, US Marine Corps Chaplain.

since when is it a choice?

Old 01-21-2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:
That's interesting. Maybe you do know more about this. However, I've seen a lot of interviews and not one of them says he's going back because he has to. They all said they want to - that they can't wait to get back with their fellow soldiers to help get the job done. Even those who have lost limbs and are going through rehab want to go back.

do you know anything about the service? you are committed for a time period. I personally know people who would have never chosen to go back but it is not a choice. They own you.

see this too Iraq Veterans Against the War

Old 01-21-2010, 11:22 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,721,231 times
Gun sight maker will stop inscribing Bible references | detnews.com | The Detroit News (http://www.detnews.com/article/20100121/METRO02/1210471/1361/Gun-sight-maker-will-stop-inscribing-Bible-references - broken link)

Old 01-21-2010, 12:09 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,794,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organick View Post
yes jesus supports bombing hospitals and shooting all trespassers. Can't you see that from the all loving god .....the same one that helped lepers but banishes non believers to eternal hell
So you are implying that Jesus had something to do with the drafting of the 10 commandments?

Old 01-21-2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by organick View Post
well please distinguish the difference between someone shooting the bank clerk in a robbery and the innocent child killed in a fire fight? I see none.
Killing a clerk in a bank robbery is murder. An innocent child killed in a fire fight is always a tragedy, but not always murder.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Gun sight maker will stop inscribing Bible references | detnews.com | The Detroit News (http://www.detnews.com/article/20100121/METRO02/1210471/1361/Gun-sight-maker-will-stop-inscribing-Bible-references - broken link)
Okay, I was wrong. They aren't doing it quietly.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:28 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,300,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
The part of your link I liked best:
Trijicon Inc., responding to an uproar in the United States and abroad, said it has voluntarily decided to drop the inscriptions on all of its products made for the Defense Department. It will also supply the Pentagon with 100 "modification kits" to allow for the removal of the codes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies