Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 04:25 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,296,391 times

Advertisements

I apologize. I don't like to use the word trash to identify anyone. However, I don't know of another term that I can use that describes the type of people I'm referring to that others would recognize. These people are not trash and I don't think that. I do think they have a unique way of perceiving the world just like other groups. I don't think the term redneck applies because it carries a southern connotation and I'm not referring to people that are strictly found in the southern United States. I don't think everyone from the South or people with heavy Southern accents are always White Trash either. I'm noticing there is a new and emerging White Trash culture that can be found in any part of the United States and in any socioeconomic and political background. It's a mindset and lifestyle that I'm referring to.

In my mind, there is a clear distinction between someone who is WT and White. White Trash almost seem to have their own culture and I don't associate White people with White Trash. Again, it's a mentality and lifestyle(culture) I'm referring to as opposed to people within a certain geographic, political or socioeconomic background

My question is do White people distinguish themselves from WT in the same way that I perceive this distinction?

For example, on this forum, I can immediately tell who is WT and who isn't and it has nothing to do with their political or religious affiliation. For example, there is a difference between the conservatives who are critical of Obama and don't support him and the people who think Obama is a racist and wasn't born in the United States. I wouldn't label the former as being WT even though they are conservatives. I do consider the latter to be a part of this WT culture

Old 10-15-2009, 04:34 AM

2,479 posts, read 3,235,316 times
Ah yes, they live in a trailer much like mom and dad did, drive fords, get drunk n fight every friday and saturday night, get divorced one year after being married, then get remarried two weeks later, sister's a tramp wearing hip huggers and blown out tennies, and dad's got 3 teeth missing at a full grin, and of course, the country AND western music on the AM radio in the pickemuptruck.

Old 10-15-2009, 04:35 AM

1,008 posts, read 2,079,265 times
Sure there are white trash in America and they have their own definite culture. Anyone who lives in the USA can surely see what they are all about.

Why sugarcoat it or walk on eggshells about it? It's the real situation.

Old 10-15-2009, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaliforniaBear View Post
Sure there are white trash in America and they have their own definite culture. Anyone who lives in the USA can surely see what they are all about.

Why sugarcoat it or walk on eggshells about it? It's the real situation.
But people assume it's limited to poor people. It's not. I've seen wealthy White Americans who have this mentality. It's not limited to trailers, Southerners, Conservatives, Republicans etc. I think that's where people are confused.

I think people assume if you have money and a college degree then you automatically don't classify as WT. And I've seen people who satisfy both have this mentality. This is why I think White Trash is a a type of culture and mindset.

Likewise, there are poor White people who are not White Trash. There are poor Southerners who are not White Trash. For example, I know a doctor who is White Trash. He spend 50K buying a raised truck with huge monster-truck like wheels. A nice normal Ford F150 wasn't good enough for him.

Old 10-15-2009, 05:04 AM

50,270 posts, read 47,032,885 times
There are ignorant people in all cultures and races. I think it's more a category if anything in a level of education. Street smart not book smart.

Old 10-15-2009, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
There are ignorant people in all cultures and races. I think it's more a category if anything in a level of education. Street smart not book smart.
Not really because like I mentioned, my friend is a physician and is well educated. He chose to buy a large(raised)monster truck for 50K. He couldn't settle on a Ford F150 or normal truck

I know another guy from Long Beach California. His parents are educated and wealthy. He went to UCLA and got a degree in finance. He chose to get tattoos and piercings all over his body and chose to try and make a living as a snowboarder and skateboarder.

Both are educated! This is why I think it's a type of culture that isn't limited by geographic, political and socioeconomic boundaries

Old 10-15-2009, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
But people assume it's limited to poor people. It's not. I've seen wealthy White Americans who have this mentality. It's not limited to trailers, Southerners, Conservatives, Republicans etc. I think that's where people are confused.

I think people assume if you have money and a college degree then you automatically don't classify as WT. And I've seen people who satisfy both have this mentality. This is why I think White Trash is a a type of culture and mindset.

Likewise, there are poor White people who are not White Trash. There are poor Southerners who are not White Trash. For example, I know a doctor who is White Trash. He spend 50K buying a raised truck with huge monster-truck like wheels. A nice normal Ford F150 wasn't good enough for him.
I agree totally. Many white trash people are upper middle class.

I recently moved away from a VERY white trash town in California. Lots of the people there were Democrats and most of them had money. They lived in big houses, had garages full of boats, jetskis, dirt bikes, etc. But they were definitely white trash to the bone. Macho, crude, ignorant, violent, uneducated, closed-minded, bigotted, the whole deal.

Perhaps one out of four white people in the USA is white trash. It is the USA after all.

Old 10-15-2009, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaliforniaBear View Post
I agree totally. Many white trash people are upper middle class.

I recently moved away from a VERY white trash town in California. Lots of the people there were Democrats and most of them had money. They lived in big houses, had garages full of boats, jetskis, dirt bikes, etc. But they were definitely white trash to the bone. Macho, crude, ignorant, violent, uneducated, closed-minded, bigotted, the whole deal.

Perhaps one out of four white people in the USA is white trash. It is the USA after all.
Do you think these people recognize they are different from mainstream whites? It seems like they are oblivious to how different they are from most Whites

Old 10-15-2009, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Do you think these people recognize they are different from mainstream whites? It seems like they are oblivious to how different they are from most Whites
Most of them didn't really seem to know how they were acting. They were just kind of mindlessly living that life. Lots of them took pride in it like they thought it made them more manly, more cool, or somehow they saw it as good.

People in other towns 10 miles away knew they were white trash and laughed at them. But the white trash people just denied it and said things like "Oh they're just a bunch of sissies over there." or whatever. Anything can be rationalized.

So indeed. Many white trash Americans are so indoctrinated into that life that they dont even see it in themselves. Some of them will wake up and evolve when they get older though.

All I know is that I plan on never returning to a town like that again.

Old 10-15-2009, 05:26 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,008,695 times
Quote:
I apologize. I don't like to use the word trash to identify anyone. However, I don't know of another term that I can use that describes the type of people I'm referring to that others would recognize. These people are not trash and I don't think that. I do think they have a unique way of perceiving the world just like other groups. I don't think the term redneck applies because it carries a southern connotation and I'm not referring to people that are strictly found in the southern United States. I don't think everyone from the South or people with heavy Southern accents are always White Trash either. I'm noticing there is a new and emerging White Trash culture that can be found in any part of the United States and in any socioeconomic and political background. It's a mindset and lifestyle that I'm referring to.

In my mind, there is a clear distinction between someone who is WT and White. White Trash almost seem to have their own culture and I don't associate White people with White Trash. Again, it's a mentality and lifestyle(culture) I'm referring to as opposed to people within a certain geographic, political or socioeconomic background

My question is do White people distinguish themselves from WT in the same way that I perceive this distinction?

For example, on this forum, I can immediately tell who is WT and who isn't and it has nothing to do with their political or religious affiliation. For example, there is a difference between the conservatives who are critical of Obama and don't support him and the people who think Obama is a racist and wasn't born in the United States. I wouldn't label the former as being WT even though they are conservatives. I do consider the latter to be a part of this WT culture
Are the group of people you are talking about the ones who are routinely arrested on COPS, white or black? Instead of saying what they aren't, tell us what they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies