Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The Confederate Flag is a symbol of:
Racism, slavery, and segregation 129 49.62%
Southern culture, history, and freedom 131 50.38%
Voters: 260. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 02:46 PM

135 posts, read 139,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Well, which was what?

SC seceded explicitly because the states that would become the Confederacy wanted to maintain slavery as its economic engine. Unfortunately life was changing and there was nothing they could do to make it stop or turn back the clocks. You know how that is.

No one minds regional pride. It's that hostile, belligerent attitude that's puzzling. You all are so defensive, but for what? It appears to me you all love your history so much that you celebrate the negative along with the positive, and deny that the Southern legacy included serious human rights problems right up until about 50 years ago. You need to just be frank about it and move on.

I still think that "it's tempting to romanticize a past, but it's bad history and poisonous to your cause in the long run not to acknowledge its negative sides, or to distort them, or even to refuse to admit they exist."

Thanks for the reply, though.
Thank you for being respectful when this is such a very touchy subject.

Old 02-07-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary phagan View Post
I want to take the time to thank all the confederates who have shared their southern pride on this thread and have kept our heritage strong through the last 145 years.There was a widow of a confederate soldier who died recently in Arkansas and a few widows of these heroes still remain.Thank ya'll.Thank you South Carolina and Mississippi for keeping the men who rode with Wade Hampton alive by flying the battle flag on your statehouse and state flags.Thank you Georgia for making April confederate history month and you to Texas.Thank you Alabama and the Sons of Confederate veterans,each time I go to Gulf Shores I see that huge flag in Montgomery,"the cradle of the confederacy" that you fly so proudly even after 2 reconstructions.North Carolina I visit Raleigh often and that huge flag on that southerners land,thank you sir.Thank you native Floridians,I have seen that flag in Tampa,courtesy of the SCV,your state has seen more yankees than all others combined.Tennessee,thank you for Columbia and SCV headquarters.Thanks to all the unreconstructed southerners who have kept this wonderful heritage we share alive and well.Thank you for teaching your children and making sure we have future southern gentlemen and belles.Thank you General Stonewall,you did not die in vain "I'll speak my southern english,as natural as I please.I'm in the heart of dixie,dixie's in the heart of me.Someday when I make,when luck finds a way.Somewhere high on lookout mountain,I'll just smile with pride and say,that my home's in Alabama,Southern born and Southern bred" Alabama
MP, those words will be framed and hanging in my home one day! I think this is one of the best posts I have ever read! You are brilliant, and I wish I could give you 50 reps for that!

Old 02-07-2010, 02:51 PM

205 posts, read 589,229 times
It represents slavery, lynchings, segregation, The KKK beatings and killings.

Old 02-07-2010, 02:52 PM

392 posts, read 559,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
First off, you are not a Christian. You are however, by your own words, a bigot and apply a great deal of bigotry to your posts and attacks on others.

Then, you hold yourself to be infallible - that you are right and everyone else who does not believe as you, is wrong. Sorry but, the only persons I recognize as Infalliable are my God, the Holy Father - and my wife!

So, why don't you take your bigotry somewhere else.

You are far too uptight though - go get drunk. Watch the Superbowl. Relax. Find a woman - ANYTHING.

Well first off, I am not a bigot; but rather think with much logic. Secondly, I am married to a German Dutch Girl whom is very beautiful; so your slanderous remarks directed directly at me calling me a bigot are false and silly. Lastly, I am a Christian Jew, and accepted Christ as my Savior at age five, while visiting a church with my friend on a bus. So for you to cast such attrocious judgment on me is foolish and ignorant, needless to say, on your part.

The fact that I recognize Christianity in American especially, as teaching alllegiance to an antichrist nation as America is intelligent on my part. Your denial of the fact that America practiced Satanically inspired movements in the name of Christianity demonstrates your intelligence level, and a willingness to submit to corrupted movement, as a confederate flag flyer. Keep on flying your flag; it will get you somewhere someday. I will guarantee you this.

BTW, I do not need to get drunk; I am drunk on Jesus. Praise God!!!!

Old 02-07-2010, 02:54 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,950,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvetta View Post
In your opinion.

Old 02-07-2010, 02:57 PM

392 posts, read 559,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvetta View Post

OF course it does, I could not agree anymore. The problem is these confederate flag flyers know their time is short, God's wrath will be poured on this nation. What flag will they fly then? There are two groups of people and they are not seperated by race. One group is one of wolves, while the other is one of sheep. I must say, most confederate flag flyers will probably be in the group with the wolves.

Old 02-07-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Thanks DK!

Well, like I say, they ain't anything I am ever going to retire from the royalties on! LOL I don't really talk about it much cos they ain't anything to talk about...

I shore as hell ain't a "writer" in the proper sense of the word (that is, making a real living off of it!)

I won some awards back in college when I wrote for my campus rag (News Writing, Column writing, features, etc). And have had a few feature articles and editorials published in some minor historical concerns. And I do some for a certain webzine publication devoted to Southern type stuff. Anyway, if you are interested, I can send you a few links to some of my garbage! Just DM me, ok?
You fought all the way, Texas Reb, Texas Reb. You fought all the way, Texas Reb.

Old 02-07-2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon7620 View Post
OF course it does, I could not agree anymore. The problem is these confederate flag flyers know their time is short, God's wrath will be poured on this nation. What flag will they fly then? There are two groups of people and they are not seperated by race. One group is one of wolves, while the other is one of sheep. I must say, most confederate flag flyers will probably be in the group with the wolves.
That is hateful and disgusting. God's wrath will be poured on this nation for many other reasons far GREATER than upon those who fly the confederate flag. Stay on subject, please, and stop attempting to hijack this thread. Feel free to start a new thread if you feel you must continue on with these antics.

Old 02-07-2010, 03:28 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
Well first off, I am not a bigot;
Oh, but your words say otherwise.

And, you are no Christian. Here is how I know this: True Christians do not go around spouting off that they are Christians. Yet here you come, and in just about every post, you are spouting off that you are Christian this or Christian that. REAL Christians do not do this. They do not wear their religion "on their sleeve" they way you are. You are a "False Prophet"

Now, let's bottom line this conversation shall we: A majority of folks view the Confederate Flag as something that relates to history, culture and a time of upheaval in this nation. There are some, a small minority, who use the Confederate Flag as a symbol of Hate and racism. It should be noted however, that these same people ALSO USE the United States Flag - the Stars and Stripes in their "ceremonies" and "marches". Yet, we don't say get rid of the US Flag.

No one here - I repeat NO ONE IS PLEDGING ALLEGIANCE to the Confederate Flag as you have repeatedly alleged. They do recognize it though for its historical significance.

I fly the United States Flag at my home. I also fly the Arizona State Flag. Yet your comments would seem to indicate that I am being anti American somehow for flying and/or showing respect for, a flag other than the United States Flag. To that, I strongly disagree.

You know Gideon, quite frankly if this were the TV Reality show Survivor, you would have been voted off the Island a long time ago. You're posting the same thing, over and over and over again.

Frankly Gideon, you are unable or incapable of defending your position - and this is PROVEN when you have denigrated others - called them names etc. When this happens as you have done so - you have lost your argument. Perhaps it is time to leave the island for a while, re-think your position, then maybe come back, a little calmer, a little more logical, a little less bigoted, and have an intelligent discussion of the issues with the others -

You may not reach agreement - but it is no reason for you, and them, to be disagreeable.

Old 02-07-2010, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon7620 View Post
Gideon said, Oh I see, so you cling to your guns and Bibles. Ye can not serve two masters. You will love the one and hate the other. We have heard it said, thou shalt not kill. Why would you need a gun if you have Jesus??? The two do not go together; I will guarantee you that.

I would venture to say, you are probably so foolish as to believe Bush and Obama are fighting for our freedom in Iraq and now Afganestan. Don't you get it; our children, neices, and nephews are fighting for corporate American interest. You probably think we elected Obama also. Further if the south were so incredible why did they get the butts kicked in the war by the Yankees.
Gideon, oh Gideon. You go ahead with your belief that if I have Christ, I don't need guns. That is absurd. Jesus Christ died for my sins, I accepted him as my Savior, and I will spend eternity with Him in glory when I leave this earth one day. That being said, I know that HE doesn't look down on those who have guns for protection. Are you telling me that when you get in your car to drive somewhere, you don't buckle your seatbelt because "if you have Jesus, you don't need your seatbelt"??? I mean, for that matter, why even look both ways when you cross a busy street since "Jesus is there and you don't need to worry because He's got your back." Christ gave you a brain, Gideon. He expects you to use it. He expects you to make choices that will keep you safe (even if that means owning a gun).
Just another scenario, if you have a family, and someone broke into your home to attack and harm your family, would you not use a weapon to protect them if you had the opportunity to get your hands on a weapon?? If not, shame on you. There is nothing worse than being married to a man who you know doesn't have your back. I can tell you that I speak from experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies