Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 07:05 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,940,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
That's what I thought too. I understand the OP's point. Most homeschoolers I've met bitc--er--complain () about public education, then turn around and cherry pick what they want from the system. A sport here, a club there. I don't have a lot of respect for that.

However, they do pay taxes just like I do, and it's their right. So it should be let go.
What's not to respect about that? They are forced to pay into a system that, for the most part, they dislike. They create or provide themselves those things they believe the system does not deliver to their satisfaction, understanding that they are responsible for their children. Since they pay into system, they choose to take advantage of those parts of it they DO like. They continue to pay into the system the same amount they would pay if they used every facet of it, yet they only burden the system a small amount. Which part of that do you not respect?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 07:31 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
What's not to respect about that? They are forced to pay into a system that, for the most part, they dislike. They create or provide themselves those things they believe the system does not deliver to their satisfaction, understanding that they are responsible for their children. Since they pay into system, they choose to take advantage of those parts of it they DO like. They continue to pay into the system the same amount they would pay if they used every facet of it, yet they only burden the system a small amount. Which part of that do you not respect?
I'm respectful of the home schoolers that respect those who have made a decision to use the public school system. I don't care for those who have nothing but disdain for the public schools, then use what they want from them.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I'm respectful of the home schoolers that respect those who have made a decision to use the public school system. I don't care for those who have nothing but disdain for the public schools, then use what they want from them.
Why? They are not satisfied with the level or quality of EDUCATION provided at the public school, so they provide a better education for their children. They have no complaint about the athletics program offered at the school, so their kids participate in that program.

Do you feel the same way about those who send their children to be educated in the public school, but have them participate in "travelling" sports leagues instead of the school teams?

Old 02-08-2010, 07:44 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
But the whole family didn't move! In Colorado, a state that has had problems with this issue, the definition of a "bona fide family move" is as follows:

"a bona fide family move has not occurred unless and until the student's custodial parent or legal guardian, the student, and the student's family have abandoned the immediately preceding place of domicile and have no present intention to return to that place of domicile."

It goes on to say that if the family retains ownership of the former home, the move is not considered a bona fide family move. Under no circumstances is a move made for athletic purposes considered a bona fide family move, and the burden is on the student/family to prove that the move was not made for athletic purposes.

The issue of a vacation home is treated like it is for voting. You have to declare ONE place your home.

All this is from the link I supplied earlier. The second sentence is not a quote, mods.
That is in Colorado but I still don't see how you can stop people from having two homes (separated parents, etc) or how to figure out what home is the real home without getting very invasive.

HOWEVER, I know there is and always has been ethical issues surrounding high school athletics. When my parents wanted to enroll me in a high school outside my own district we had to take a meeting with the Principal and he specifically asked whether I was involved in sports or other competitive extra curriculars because if I was he would not be able to approve my petition. I was coming out of a small private school where I didn't do anything so it was no problem. This is the major problem people have with what this family did. They got around it because they could afford to get around it.

Sometimes people may be right to the letter of the law but not the spirit, I think that is the case here.

Last edited by Ceece; 02-08-2010 at 07:53 PM..

Old 02-08-2010, 07:52 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Major universities:

Liberty
Bob Jones
Oral Roberts
Yale
LSU
USC
Mich State

Old 02-08-2010, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
Why? They are not satisfied with the level or quality of EDUCATION provided at the public school, so they provide a better education for their children. They have no complaint about the athletics program offered at the school, so their kids participate in that program.

Do you feel the same way about those who send their children to be educated in the public school, but have them participate in "travelling" sports leagues instead of the school teams?
Why? Why shouldn't the home schoolers respect my decision to use the public school system? If I'm satisfied with it, why shouldn't they respect MY CHOICE?

I have no concerns whatsoever for those who prefer their kids do club sports rather than high school sports. This happens a lot in gymnastics, a sport my kids did in high school; also tennis which my friends' kid did. Let 'em go, who cares?

Old 02-08-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
That is in Colorado but I still don't see how you can stop people from having two homes (separated parents, etc) or how to figure out what home is the real home without getting very invasive.

HOWEVER, I know there is and always has been ethical issues surrounding high school athletics. When my parents wanted to enroll me in a high school outside my own district we had to take a meeting with the Principal and he specifically asked whether I was involved in sports or other competitive extra curriculars because if I was he would not be able to approve my petition. I was coming out of a small private school where I didn't do anything so it was no problem. This is the major problem people have with what this family did. They got around it because they could afford to get around it.

Sometimes people may be right to the letter of the law but not the spirit, I think that is the case here.
Well, if you're really interested in how Colorado handles divorced parents, go upthread and click on the Colorado High School Activities Assosciation link, then go to by-laws, then transfer students. Basically, they're allowed one transfer penalty-free.

People who own a second home in Aspen or a cabin in Minnesota have to declare their legal residence for voting purposes, income tax purposes, etc. It's the same with someone wanting to use their second home address to get their kids in a better school district for sports or whatever. Please note that in CO we have open enrollment so a person using the public school system can OE in any school he/she wishes. If s/he starts at that school as a freshman, there is no penalty for OE.

I agree that what the Tebow's did is not within the spirit of the law. And yet this family holds itself up as morally superior.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:59 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,984,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Yale
LSU
USC
Mich State
Harvard
John Hopkins
MIT

Oh, those poor brainwashed and ignorant homeschoolers.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Why? Why shouldn't the home schoolers respect my decision to use the public school system? If I'm satisfied with it, why shouldn't they respect MY CHOICE?

I have no concerns whatsoever for those who prefer their kids do club sports rather than high school sports. This happens a lot in gymnastics, a sport my kids did in high school; also tennis which my friends' kid did. Let 'em go, who cares?
THey do respect your choice. No one's trying to stop you sending your kids to the school. They took THEIR kids out because they feel they can do better, and they continue to pay for the school so those who are satisfied with it can continue to send their kids. How do they not respect your decision?

Old 02-08-2010, 08:04 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,314,559 times
Home schooled kids who want to take part in sports at a public school should have to do it in their neighborhoods where they live. Aside from that, I worry about kids who are home schooled. How are they going to learn to get along with other people in society if they don't start doing so at a very young age? The whole world isn't going to cater to them their whole lives like mama does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies