Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you listen to NPR everyday if it was like "Hannity & Colmes"
Yes, it would be interested to listen to a true debate instead of propaganda radio 6 75.00%
No, I just like to listen to 1 person preach to me for hours what he thinks 2 25.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 07:33 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,196,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I've heard for years people calling NPR "the liberal radio"
I've listened to NPR lately I guarantee that most liberals would say that NPR is conservative radio in disguise, acting unbiased but still throwing republicans talking points every now and then.

Seems like nobody likes NPR.
Would America be better off if NPR was a "debate radio" that anytime NPR was going to talk about politics, they had to have 1 republican and 1 democrat exposing their points of view.

An example of this would be "Hannity & Colmes"
As much as I don't like Hannity, I used to enjoy that show because they would have debates and both republican and democrat would say their point of views about the issue.

I wish NPR was like "Hannity & Colmes"
I would listen to it all the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aw_8QH5OTyI
"Nobody" ?????...maybe the lower level who like the hanity and combs and limbaughs but there are people who like NPR.

Some people like the facts seperated from the opinions.

People who say NPR is liberal are just stupid so they don't count....I turned it off a few days ago because I got tired of the republicans on there and the OLD TRITE "SO 1990's" talking points and lies....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 07:36 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,134,278 times
America would be better off if NPR got the axe and taxpayers got their hard earned money back.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:38 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,041,245 times
Quote:
I've heard for years people calling NPR "the liberal radio"
I've listened to NPR lately I guarantee that most liberals would say that NPR is conservative radio in disguise, acting unbiased but still throwing republicans talking points every now and then.

Would America be better off if NPR was a "debate radio" that anytime NPR was going to talk about politics, they had to have 1 republican and 1 democrat exposing their points of view.

An example of this would be "Hannity & Colmes"
As much as I don't like Hannity, I used to enjoy that show because they would have debates and both republican and democrat would say their point of views about the issue.

I wish NPR was like "Hannity & Colmes"
I would listen to it all the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aw_8QH5OTyI
The poll questions do not adequately affect my opinion on NPR. I do frequently listen to NPR and find most of the shows to be non-political. There are some like Terri Gross' and Talk of the Nation, but are not Liberal views nor Conservative. I've always felt that NPR presents both views in a very balanced way. I definitely do not feel preached at like I would be if I listened to Fox radio or TV with its one view and its steady parade of idealogues from the Right.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:42 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,041,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
America would be better off if NPR got the axe and taxpayers got their hard earned money back.
Gov't funding is only a small percentage of NPR's income, IN fact, most of the money comes from foundation grants and donations from listeners and other individuals and/or companies. Other countries fund their radio and TV and I think that their citizens are richer for it. I love the fact that I don't have to listen to dumb, endless commercials on other radio stations when listening to NPR.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:49 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,134,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Gov't funding is only a small percentage of NPR's income, IN fact, most of the money comes from foundation grants and donations from listeners and other individuals and/or companies. Other countries fund their radio and TV and I think that their citizens are richer for it. I love the fact that I don't have to listen to dumb, endless commercials on other radio stations when listening to NPR.
again, if it's so freaking wonderful to have around then let the listeners and individuals fund it totally.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:51 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,435,303 times
Quote:
And you would be wrong. NPR reports and lets the chips fall where they may. They hold discussions with people on all sides of issues. And by no means is all their content on political topics. Not even close.

The OP is just more of that right wing thinking that EVERYTHING has to partisan.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:57 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,349,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
If NPR was like Hannity & Colmes, I would stop listening. I prefer facts to shouting matches.
I don't mean to be nasty with any of you but I keep seeing the names, Hannity and Colmes come up and that show hasn't been on Fox for over a year. Surely you people are better informed about Hannity and Colmes than that. Well, no, you wouldn't be because your tv doesn't have their number on it, huh.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:03 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,114,626 times
Quote:
I'm not sure what you've been listening to, but much of NPR is actually like that. Take for instance when Huffington was trying to get Americans to change to local credit unions, and they had a guy on to talk about why this would be a good idea. They followed that up with a guy who (made great points) and explained why it actually wouldn't do anything at all.

That's pretty typical on NPR.

I guess if you're used to monkeys pounding desks and yelling on the cable news networks, you're not used to subtle debate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I don't mean to be nasty with any of you but I keep seeing the names, Hannity and Colmes come up and that show hasn't been on Fox for over a year. Surely you people are better informed about Hannity and Colmes than that. Well, no, you wouldn't be because your tv doesn't have their number on it, huh.
They're bringing up their names because the OP said that HE wished that NPR was more like Hannity and Colmes. That's why posters are bringing up their names.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:08 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,338,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
I listen to NPR, but I have to admit, it really does show strong evidence of liberalism and elitism. They wouldn't cover stories that the common man is concerned about, for example. They don't cover sports, unless it's something NEGATIVE about sports (like head injuries in the NFL), and of course don't provide scores either. I'm thinking they would get more listeners if they broadened up a little bit, rather than catering to limousine liberals only.
What?
I am the common man. And I enjoy it.
No, NPR is not dumbed down to the lowest common denominator, but neither is the American public.
There are dozens of sports stations to choose from in every area that cater to your wants.

Are you really that disinterested in the world around you?

Old 02-04-2010, 10:35 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,435,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
I listen to NPR, but I have to admit, it really does show strong evidence of liberalism and elitism. They wouldn't cover stories that the common man is concerned about, for example. They don't cover sports, unless it's something NEGATIVE about sports (like head injuries in the NFL), and of course don't provide scores either. I'm thinking they would get more listeners if they broadened up a little bit, rather than catering to limousine liberals only.
I just listened to a segment about a father and son who are race car drivers. A NASCAR segment and all positive. No, they don't do scores. If that's what you want, switch to ESPN. I've listened to segments on jazz, classical, rock and country music. I've listened to segments on movies and acting. Food and wine..... and beer. Books and authors. Gardening. And of course, there's Science Friday. If that defines "catering to limousine liberals only" for you, that's on you, not NPR.

Edited to add: Oh yeah, Car Talk. Just listened to Frick or Frack (I can't keep them straight...) talking about auto mechanics related to the Toyota problem.

Last edited by Sagran; 02-04-2010 at 10:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies