Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you listen to NPR everyday if it was like "Hannity & Colmes"
Yes, it would be interested to listen to a true debate instead of propaganda radio 6 75.00%
No, I just like to listen to 1 person preach to me for hours what he thinks 2 25.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 09:57 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,282,316 times

Advertisements

I've heard for years people calling NPR "the liberal radio"
I've listened to NPR lately I guarantee that most liberals would say that NPR is conservative radio in disguise, acting unbiased but still throwing republicans talking points every now and then.

Seems like nobody likes NPR.
Would America be better off if NPR was a "debate radio" that anytime NPR was going to talk about politics, they had to have 1 republican and 1 democrat exposing their points of view.

An example of this would be "Hannity & Colmes"
As much as I don't like Hannity, I used to enjoy that show because they would have debates and both republican and democrat would say their point of views about the issue.

I wish NPR was like "Hannity & Colmes"
I would listen to it all the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aw_8QH5OTyI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 10:02 PM

4,559 posts, read 4,100,992 times
I find NPR way too conservative. however I find the "debate radio" that is so popular with Fox and such to have little substance and information, plus it just teaches people that the loudest, most obnoxious voice wins, not the one that makes the most sense.

If you spend some time listening to their news, you'll find that NPR is far far more informative than the fluff that Fox and CNN peddle as news.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:22 PM

507 posts, read 678,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I've listened to NPR lately I guarantee that most liberals would say that NPR is conservative radio in disguise, acting unbiased but still throwing republicans talking points every now and then.

Would America be better off if NPR was a "debate radio" that anytime NPR was going to talk about politics, they had to have 1 republican and 1 democrat exposing their points of view.

As much as I don't like Hannity, I used to enjoy that show because they would have debates and both republican and democrat would say their point of views about the issue.

Where did you hear that nobody likes NPR? Last March The Washington Post reported that NPR's audience grew by 9% with over 23 million people listening each week. Morning Edition alone has an audience of close to 8 million.

NPR also has debate style segments. The friday news round-up on The Diane Rehm Show and Talk of the Nation, which typically has people on the air with opposing view points, are both examples of this. I also agree with what was said before, I can't stand how people "debate" on cable news by yelling over one another. If that style of "debate" became common on NPR, I would probably stop listening.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:01 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,110,516 times
I LOVE NPR just the way it is and Wisconsin Public Radio is by far the most intelligent listening available on either radio or television today.

Old 02-04-2010, 02:37 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
What Do You know with Michael Feldman.
Prairie Home Companion.
Science Friday.
All Things Considered.

I certainly don't think of NPR as liberal, but compared to the alternatives of Fox, etc. it is certainly more moderate.

Old 02-04-2010, 03:44 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,781,454 times
Quote:

I'm not voting on your poll because neither choice is acceptable, nor an accurate description of NPR.
The only version of 'debate' I care to hear is sober positions illustrated with fact checked evidence. I despise the BS I hear on FOX because it's world wrestling match drama crappioca where the truth is piled beneath 500 tons of posturing. Just tell the damned truth. 7yr olds know better than <alleged> grown adults. This is disgusting.

Old 02-04-2010, 04:09 AM

1,372 posts, read 1,548,971 times
I listen to NPR every time I drive. I've listened for years and have never perceived it to be overtly liberal or conservative. It's always seemed very moderate or neutral to me. They pretty much just report the facts of a story and then move on to the next one. It's the way journalism is supposed to be. I trust it far more than I do CNN or FOX.

Old 02-04-2010, 04:26 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,210,572 times
Default Driveway Moments

"No, I just like to listen to 1 person preach to me for hours what he thinks" You don't mention any NPR shows by name, so I can only imagine that you haven't spent much time listening and are just making assumptions based upon misinformation.

Try Science Friday or Wait, Wait. Fresh Air with Terry Gross has timeless interviews with all kinds of people. A story from ground zero of the earthquake in China made me weep. All Things Considered and Morning Edition...... Then there are the music shows- everything from blues to opera.

One of the treats about listening to NPR when traveling is hearing the great local shows produced by stations across the country, along with the "old friends" I listen to regularly at home.

Old 02-04-2010, 04:48 AM

626 posts, read 992,956 times
Quote:
If NPR was like Hannity & Colmes, I would stop listening. I prefer facts to shouting matches.

Old 02-04-2010, 04:56 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,629,228 times
I would just prefer all public funding be cut from NPR and PBS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies