Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 07:15 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,575,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
and people wonder why the cops and goverments want to take away the right of the people to keep and bear arms.
really? I didn't know 15 year olds were legally allowed to have guns! Amazing how a teen brawl turns into a sanctimonious lecture about gun rights!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 07:25 AM

646 posts, read 802,289 times
I think the bigger question is how and why this mentality exists in alot of black youth.To attack anything white.Did they learn this from their elders?To me it seems that the naacp and black leaders should maybe spend more time focusing on this

Old 02-11-2010, 07:29 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,063,784 times
Shown here in Portland as well. The security guards were required by their employer not to interfere on threat of termination because of liability and because they were not armed. All they can do is call 911.

Blame the sue happy people who sued the company for trying to protect people. If the choice is between bankruptcy or ineffectual actions, they will choose being ineffectual. No good deed goes unpunished.

No reason to bring race into it at all, not everything in life is about the thin layer of cells keeping you from bleeding on your clothes.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:30 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,183,867 times
pasting once is plenty, OP, not four times.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:31 AM

646 posts, read 802,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Shown here in Portland as well. The security guards were required by their employer not to interfere on threat of termination because of liability and because they were not armed. All they can do is call 911.

No reason to bring race into it at all, not everything in life is about the thin layer of cells keeping you from bleeding on your clothes.
Well the thugs who beat her brought race into it.Did you read the article,you had 4 chances

Old 02-11-2010, 07:36 AM

18,229 posts, read 25,885,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlitwishes View Post
IMO it is sad that people can just stand by and watch something like this happen. It was their job to just observe and report what about common human decency and compassion?
That's what gets me, people just standing and looking, and not doing squat. And the security guards doing zero? Absolutely disgusting!

Old 02-11-2010, 07:40 AM

3,436 posts, read 2,951,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary phagan View Post
I think the bigger question is how and why this mentality exists in alot of black youth.To attack anything white.Did they learn this from their elders?To me it seems that the naacp and black leaders should maybe spend more time focusing on this
I agree with you to an extent but it's not just about "acting White". Having nice things and speaking proper English should not be associated with "acting White". That's part of the problem. You can "act black" and still do this and it is very ignorant to think that "acting White" means speaking properly, getting an education and being middle class or above. These kids do not represent all black people and unfortunately, their parents are to blame for this.

I say all of this as a black woman. In their opinion, I would also fit into the "act white" group but I embrace being a black woman and have no problem with it. There are mentor programs and Black leaders who try to teach youth the importance of a good education and hard work but it does not reach everyone. You can only help those who want to be helped. Furthermore, when a White youth does something stupid, I don't see people talking about what White leaders need to do. I blame their parents for not teaching them that being successful means dealing with people of different races and ethnicities and getting an education. There are White kids who have the same problem they do. Ignorance.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:41 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,063,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary phagan View Post
Well the thugs who beat her brought race into it.Did you read the article,you had 4 chances
I addressed the guards inaction, which is the spark of the debate. The kids are thugs, and have been arrested to be prosecuted by the full extent of the law...which hopefully will be severe.

Considering how often race and extreme anger is involved in your posts previously, near every one I can see, it's the last thing I want to go near.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:41 AM

530 posts, read 780,487 times
I will try to find the link as I only heard it in passing while I was working but a couple years ago a story was aired about a person being attcked/stabbed and killed on a subway full of passengers. How does this happen? What is wrong with people, the fact that no one (the observers) is taking action during such vicious acts only helps to further the problem IMO. I understand people not wanting to be hurt themselves but I mean come on, one idiot on a subway vs. a whole subway train full of people, makes me very sad and disappointed.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:55 AM

59,199 posts, read 27,388,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
I addressed the guards inaction, which is the spark of the debate. The kids are thugs, and have been arrested to be prosecuted by the full extent of the law...which hopefully will be severe.

Considering how often race and extreme anger is involved in your posts previously, near every one I can see, it's the last thing I want to go near.
" it's the last thing I want to go near." Unfortunately, that is part of the problem. This started in the store when the girl was accused of being too white. People don't want to talk about it because ANYTIME a white says anything negative about a black, they are called racists.

The security "guards" in this incident did excatly like they were instructed to do. Unfortunately. In this day in age, nobody wants to get involved because they are afraid of getting sued. It's a shame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies