Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 07:55 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,279,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBrownBiscuit View Post
That is just absolutely sad and ridiculous.
Quote:
What is wrong with these friggin kids?
As for the "security guards" - it doesn't make sense to have them if they are unable to intervene/protect passengers.

~ButterBrownBiscuit~
They were raised in the black thug culture, thats whats wrong!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 07:58 AM

507 posts, read 678,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary phagan View Post
I think the bigger question is how and why this mentality exists in alot of black youth.To attack anything white.Did they learn this from their elders?To me it seems that the naacp and black leaders should maybe spend more time focusing on this
As a black person who as been accused of "acting white" throughout my life, I believe you are oversimplifying this issue. This has nothing to do with black people attacking anything white, it has more to do with class struggle between black populations. There is, unfortunately, some tension between blacks who grow up poor, and the growing population of blacks who live middle and upper-middle class lifestyles. "Acting white" or "proper" is not really about white people (I don't think this girl would have had the same issue if she had she actually been white), it's about some black people perceiving that other black people think they are better than because of certain characteristics they may have. There is a lot of complexity to this issue that I don't think you fully understand.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:58 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Be alert, be aware and be armed. Even if you are a 15 year old girl.

DO NOT EVER TRUST THE AUTHORITES TO PROTECT YOU. NEVER!

Oh please

These men in the story are rent-a-cops. These are not "the authorities".

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
really? I didn't know 15 year olds were legally allowed to have guns!
I don't know about Washington or Florida, but where I grew up 15-year olds are legally allowed to own guns. I don't see how that's relevant to the story, anyway.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:04 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,279,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17th Street View Post
As a black person who as been accused of "acting white" throughout my life, I believe you are oversimplifying this issue. This has nothing to do with black people attacking anything white, it has more to do with class struggle between black populations. There is, unfortunately, some tension between blacks who grow up poor, and the growing population of blacks who live middle and upper-middle class lifestyles. "Acting white" or "proper" is not really about white people (I don't think this girl would have had the same issue if she had she actually been white),
Quote:
it's about some black people perceiving that other black people think they are better than because of certain characteristics they may have.
There is a lot of complexity to this issue that I don't think you fully understand.
Actually they are bettter!

Old 02-11-2010, 08:09 AM

646 posts, read 801,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17th Street View Post
As a black person who as been accused of "acting white" throughout my life, I believe you are oversimplifying this issue. This has nothing to do with black people attacking anything white, it has more to do with class struggle between black populations. There is, unfortunately, some tension between blacks who grow up poor, and the growing population of blacks who live middle and upper-middle class lifestyles. "Acting white" or "proper" is not really about white people (I don't think this girl would have had the same issue if she had she actually been white), it's about some black people perceiving that other black people think they are better than because of certain characteristics they may have. There is a lot of complexity to this issue that I don't think you fully understand.
No,I think I do understand.I have seen the justice department stats on crime.Black on white crime is extremely high while white on black crime is virtually nill

Old 02-11-2010, 08:20 AM

536 posts, read 414,086 times
Course it's a racist attack a nonwhite was attacked its ALWAYS a racist attack if the attacker is white lord forbid she was attacked just because.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:21 AM

711 posts, read 1,512,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
I agree with you to an extent but it's not just about "acting White". Having nice things and speaking proper English should not be associated with "acting White". That's part of the problem. You can "act black" and still do this and it is very ignorant to think that "acting White" means speaking properly, getting an education and being middle class or above. These kids do not represent all black people and unfortunately, their parents are to blame for this.

I say all of this as a black woman. In their opinion, I would also fit into the "act white" group but I embrace being a black woman and have no problem with it. There are mentor programs and Black leaders who try to teach youth the importance of a good education and hard work but it does not reach everyone. You can only help those who want to be helped. Furthermore, when a White youth does something stupid, I don't see people talking about what White leaders need to do. I blame their parents for not teaching them that being successful means dealing with people of different races and ethnicities and getting an education. There are White kids who have the same problem they do. Ignorance.

You will never hear white leaders speak up about anything that has to do with blacks and crime due to the stigma of being a racist attached to it.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:22 AM

536 posts, read 414,086 times
Truth In Our Time: The Murder of Shannon Christian and Christopher Newsome

Yet that was not considered a hate crime. Notice how the offenders are black and the victims white.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:23 AM

507 posts, read 678,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary phagan View Post
No,I think I do understand.I have seen the justice department stats on crime.Black on white crime is extremely high while white on black crime is virtually nill
The issue at hand here is that a black female got beaten because she was accused of "acting white". The concepts of "acting white" and being white are completely different. Your proved my point based on this response and others.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:28 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,083,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Shown here in Portland as well. The security guards were required by their employer not to interfere on threat of termination because of liability and because they were not armed. All they can do is call 911.

Blame the sue happy people who sued the company for trying to protect people. If the choice is between bankruptcy or ineffectual actions, they will choose being ineffectual. No good deed goes unpunished.

No reason to bring race into it at all, not everything in life is about the thin layer of cells keeping you from bleeding on your clothes.
The bold bears repeating; this is why they did nothing.

And yes, police show up "after the fact". People, the law is NOT THERE TO PROTECT YOU. You must protect yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies