Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 11:28 AM

897 posts, read 1,592,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
The made up word homophobe, by the gay community, implies a fear of gays which would be the very rare person. People do not fear gays, they do not agree with the homosexual lifestyle. I do not recognize made up words.

If you have nothing to fear from someone, you do not care if that person exists, how they behave, how openly they show this behavior or whether or not they gain or lose rights. In other words, you just don't care and their existence doesn't bother you in the slightest.

When you disagree with a lifestyle, you care enough to disagree. It BOTHERS you enough to disagree. Why? Where does this come from? If it's an activity that you and those close to you don't partake in and it does not include you and, even if you are standing in the middle of it, it does not hurt you, then where does this disagreement stem from? Why does it offend you? What are you AFRAID of?

If you're not afraid of anything, then you don't disagree with it. It doesn't mean that you support it either. It just means you don't care either way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 11:31 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times
One of my best friends is gay. We just don't talk about sex. I would say there are a lot more vocal homophobes in the right wing than in the left. It appears that sexual preference is a bigger deal to conservatives than it is to liberals. I am surprised by the observation that the conservative support of individual liberty does not seen to extend to gays. I wonder why. Maybe they only want liberty for the select few that pray to only one God, screw only the opposite sex and never interfere with a monopoly.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:32 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,685,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossomo View Post
I listen to you lefties go on about how Republicans and Conservatives are homophobes. But it is very far from the truth. If we were anti-gay, we would have rallied and cheered this guy on. We didn't. The CPAC crowd booed gay basher Ryan Sorba for bashing GOP GoProud group right.

CPAC crowd boos Gay Basher Ryan Sorba for Bashing GOP GoProud Group - Democratic Underground
That was good to see, but keep in mind that the audience was made up mostly of people who are 18-30 years old.

Republicans aren't as anti-gay as they used to be, but they're still significantly more anti-gay than Democrats.

Assessments of morality are divided sharply along partisan lines. For example, three-quarters of conservative Republicans say homosexual behavior is wrong. By contrast, nearly as many liberal Democrats (70%) say either that homosexuality is morally acceptable (13%) or that it is not a moral issue (57%).

Majority Continues to Support Civil Unions: Overview - Pew Research Center for the People & the Press

Old 02-24-2010, 11:32 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,532,090 times
Not all rightwingers are homophobes, but it sure appears that all homophobes are rightwingers. ("Conservative" is a different animal; one that has gone extinct, as far as I can tell.)

Old 02-24-2010, 11:34 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,833,891 times
If you fear gays and lesbians exercising every freedom you want to have for yourself, you're a homophobe.

I will say, though, that not all conservatives are homophobes. But all homophobes are "conservatives".

62 posts, read 80,449 times
I know some Republican friends who are pro-gay rights. I also think a lot of religious Af-Am who voted for Obama are homophobic. That's one big block of reliable Dem voters who are consistently against gay rights. I don't see the Dems making such a big fuss about that dirty little secret, instead they deflect the issue onto Republicans.

I wish people would just vote with their own minds on issues and not just blindly follow either parties. Blind allegiance builds hypocrisy, if you ask me. Now if they can come up with a presidential candidate who promotes socially tolerant policies, yet is conservative on fiscal and national security issues, I'd be all for him/her. Not holding my breath though for it to happen soon though.

12,711 posts, read 13,486,551 times
There are plenty of people who identify as conservatives who have no use for the Bible-thumpers and gay-bashers. Until now, however, it was extremely rare for them to do something to actually challenge those types. This is certainly a hopeful sign, however let's see how long it holds up.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:35 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,403,011 times
No, conservatives that are against gay marriage are just hypocrites, not homophobes.

Seems like conservatives only want small government, as far as their pocket book. Many are for big government when it comes to enforcing some self defined morality on people.

Marijuana, prostitution, gay marriage, abortions, etc.

They also seem to have no problem with spending public tax dollars on a religious ceremony held at the end of December as well.

Seems to me, if you are really worried about fiscal responsibility, then the first thing that should go are decorations for any religious ceremony. But God forbid we don't put up the baby Jesus stuff on the light poles in December, or a HUGE tree at the white house that costs us thousands of dollars.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:37 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,685,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry sakura View Post
I know some Republican friends who are pro-gay rights. I also think a lot of religious Af-Am who voted for Obama are homophobic. That's one big block of reliable Dem voters who are consistently against gay rights. I don't see the Dems making such a big fuss about that dirty little secret, instead they deflect the issue onto Republicans.
Republicans, overall, are significantly more anti-gay than Democrats. Polls consistently show this to be true.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:47 AM

971 posts, read 1,295,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
The made up word homophobe, by the gay community, implies a fear of gays which would be the very rare person. People do not fear gays, they do not agree with the homosexual lifestyle. I do not recognize made up words.
News Flash: Every word is made up.

If you're not accepting of gays, then you are homophobic. The reason you don't accept something is because you fear the consequences of its acceptance. That's basic. The question is whether your fear is rational or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies