Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 10:37 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,827,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
So because we haven't nationalized gay marriage, you believe we are "lagging behind" Canada?

We can argue different opinions on the subject, but to claim one moral stance as "lagging behind" the other isn't proper... Canada has always been more liberal than the United States. Is it your claim that Canada is thus, BETTER ???
We're certainly not leading on the issue, one way or the other. The rest of the developed world doesn't seem to be bogged down by trivial matters and this is just one of them.

What unique "moral" stance do we have, that already doesn't exist elsewhere?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 10:41 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,298,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thosemeninlove View Post
Rhett said, " Oh, and on a side note? Just because Canada does it, doesn't necessarily mean that the whole world should follow suit. Much as it pains you to hear that."

Nothing compares to the veiled quietly seething hatred you have for us and what we represent.
I could give two sh!+s about you or how you choose to live your life quite honestly. It's your attempt to pass on incorrect data as a fact that I took issue with here.

You are the one here who has chosen to attack the poster rather than back up your false facts with any actual evidence.

I mean, I can see why you'd be upset with me over this. No one likes to be proven factually incorrect. It's embarrassing. Especially when it's your apparent "Ace-in-the-Hole" argument...

Old 03-02-2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
We're certainly not leading on the issue, one way or the other. The rest of the developed world doesn't seem to be bogged down by trivial matters and this is just one of them.

What unique "moral" stance do we have, that already doesn't exist elsewhere?
There are plenty of other countries that have been through this and are STILL going through it.

We aren't as liberal as other nations. You'd like to imply that it means we're "behind"... That isn't the case.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:56 AM

236 posts, read 237,129 times
Really Rhett? ...and we're STILL waiting to read your sources that you keep conveniently forgetting to post links to.

We posted our links and showed where others could go for the info we provided. You haven't. So who is posting falsehoods here? Your hatred shows in your posts, and in their wording.

The more you attack, the more you confirm to others our statements.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
There are plenty of other countries that have been through this and are STILL going through it.

We aren't as liberal as other nations. You'd like to imply that it means we're "behind"... That isn't the case.
There are plenty of countries that have gone thru it already. Look at them, not just the ones that are working now. Unless you believe that we're leading those who are working as long as we ignore others.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thosemeninlove View Post
Really Rhett? ...and we're STILL waiting to read your sources that you keep conveniently forgetting to post links to.

We posted our links and showed where others could go for the info we provided. You haven't. So who is posting falsehoods here? Your hatred shows in your posts, and in their wording.

The more you attack, the more you confirm to others our statements.
Your links provide stories that two couples divorced. It NEVER said that these were the ONLY two couples.

You know it. I know it.

I DID provide links that indicate that gay and hetero divorce rates are relatively the same. These were PRO GAY WEBSITES mind you... Neither back your false claim.

I hear there are ghost ships all over Lake Champlain that kill baby seals. If I don't see your source that says it's not true, then it is....

I mean c'mon.... Should be pretty easy... Just link the page that shows that ONLY two gay divorces have occurred in Canada in 7 years...

Old 03-02-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
There are plenty of countries that have gone thru it already. Look at them, not just the ones that are working now. Unless you believe that we're leading those who are working as long as we ignore others.
France recently went through a big hubub over gay marriage and IIRC settled on Gay Unions...

So are they ahead of us? Or behind us?

Old 03-02-2010, 11:16 AM

Quote:
France recently went through a big hubub over gay marriage and IIRC settled on Gay Unions...

So are they ahead of us? Or behind us?
Looks like they are ahead of us. In your terms, we're not following Canada, but you would like us to follow the French.

But tell me, why would you like us to follow the French?

Old 03-02-2010, 11:18 AM

http://www.ordinary-gentlemen.com/Tags/divorce-rates/

Quote:
Originally Posted by website
Ambert’s study and the latest numbers from Statistics Canada place current rates of divorce in Canada at approximately 38%, as compared to 2003 rates of 35.3%. At a time when Canada’s overall population grew by approximately 5% between 2003-2008, those numbers strike me as statistically insignificant.
And what happened smack in the middle of that time frame? That’s right, on July 20, 2005 same-sex marriage was legalized in Canada.
The take home message? There might not be any reliable data demonstrating that legalizing same-sex marriage strengthens the insitution of marriage by reducing rates of divorce, but there is reliable data that demonstrates legalizing same-sex marriage does not weaken the insitution of marriage by increasing rates of divorce.
You'd think if their underlying point is that gay marriage doesn't affect the overall divorce rate that they would have mentioned that NO gay divorces have occurred since 2005. Oddly enough, they don't mention that, do they?

I've no problem with their conclusion (though I'm sure you'd like to claim that I do)... What I find funny is that this conclusion apparently isn't good enough for you all. You have to make a bold and false claim in an attempt to prove that gay couples are, in fact, SO faithful to one another that none of them are divorcing in Canada....

Why the hyperbole? Especially when no one here is arguing that gay marriages will lead to more divorce?

Old 03-02-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Looks like they are ahead of us. In your terms, we're not following Canada, but you would like us to follow the French.

But tell me, why would you like us to follow the French?
Their's is the stance I agree with. "Ahead" or "Behind" is just a measurement on your personal moral compass. It isn't some true data point or measurement of morality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies