Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 11:39 AM

236 posts, read 237,129 times

Advertisements

lol, well we went back and found two links. Wading though those gigantic tomes, we're not surprised we missed them. Both of them hand me down handed down info of hand me down info.
Those links' info have little or no citations, such as wikipedia's, or detailed research such as religious tolerance.org.

This is a bit better. DivorceMag: World Divorce Statistics

Quite frankly hairsplitting over divorce rates is a ridiculous and ineffective red herring. And as far as collecting info goes, we can't 'guess' as you do that there are more gay divorces than have been made public. We prefer documented info, not speculative assumptions.

Now we've stated our case to those that count, and have spent far too much time on one who doesn't.

Gentlemen and ladies, we pass the floor to you, and wish you Godspeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 11:41 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,684,460 times
Question...
Doesnt each state of laws in which you can marry either age and other factors.
I see no reason states can't say they can't marry gay couples. We dont have a Federal law on age to marry so I see no reason to start getting the federal government involved in anything to do with marriage.
If a 15 yr old wants to marry a 16 yr old what is their legal rights in the eyes of the federal government. :-) I use this because the law prohibits most under the age of 18 to marry without parents con.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:02 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,298,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thosemeninlove View Post
lol, well we went back and found two links. Wading though those gigantic tomes, we're not surprised we missed them. Both of them hand me down handed down info of hand me down info.
Those links' info have little or no citations, such as wikipedia's, or detailed research such as religious tolerance.org.

This is a bit better. DivorceMag: World Divorce Statistics

Quite frankly hairsplitting over divorce rates is a ridiculous and ineffective red herring. And as far as collecting info goes, we can't 'guess' as you do that there are more gay divorces than have been made public. We prefer documented info, not speculative assumptions.

Now we've stated our case to those that count, and have spent far too much time on one who doesn't.

Gentlemen and ladies, we pass the floor to you, and wish you Godspeed.
The bottom line is that Canada hasn't provided divorce statistics since 2005. That is the year that Gay Marriage was legalized across the country.

Quite frankly I'd like to see anyone (other than you two) who honestly believes in the absence of any statistics AT ALL that no gay couples have divorced in the last 5 years in Canada...

I actually agree with you that it's a red herring of sorts, but it's funny that you didn't think it was a red herring when you pulled your false stat out of your behind in your post (Even though it had nothing to do with the topic at hand)...

NOW that you're seeing that your uber-stat of only two gay Canadian Divorces in seven years is most likely WILDLY inaccurrate, you go the "red herring" route.... That's predictable.

Either way, I'm sure you've attempted to research and find support for your claim and have come up empty. My only purpose was to point out that fallacy and I am satisfied that you are now WELL aware that it IS false...

Mission Accomplished...

Old 03-02-2010, 12:11 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,827,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneSentinel View Post
ahh...Thank you. At least now I know where you are coming from. I defend my claims just fine. I did say that I disagree with DOMA and that I believe the government should not define marriage - is this what you argue against?
I believe government should get out of this "marriage" business altogether, and treat them ALL as civil unions, if necessary.

Leave marriages to social/religious institutions, gay or straight. There's just too much religiosity creeping into law-making.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
The bottom line is that Canada hasn't provided divorce statistics since 2005. That is the year that Gay Marriage was legalized across the country.
Either way, why does it matter?

Old 03-02-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
Question...
Doesnt each state of laws in which you can marry either age and other factors.
I see no reason states can't say they can't marry gay couples...
Are you really for liberty and justice for all? Or, is it just a lip service, applied at whim?

Old 03-02-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
Their's is the stance I agree with. "Ahead" or "Behind" is just a measurement on your personal moral compass. It isn't some true data point or measurement of morality.
What moral compass? Your "morals" might differ from mine. In fact, chances are, they do. Taking it further, I could as well compare moral compass across nations and in a way I did... Iran versus Canada.

Who, of the two, do you think is more moral?

Old 03-02-2010, 12:20 PM

236 posts, read 237,129 times
Well Rhett, until you come with proof that there have been more than is publicly reported, then your victory is hollow.

By now others have researched your posts on other topics and understand your personal issues with us.
That's no victory for us, as we get no thrill from having exposed your subtle bigotry.

Incidentally, you haven't heard from others besides us over this as they don't feel dickering with trolls worth the effort.

So victory in it's entirety goes to you dear Rhett.

How differently this could have been had you just said, 'I think there may have been more divorces since that report that haven't been documented yet.' and we would have entirely agreed. Our intent was to give a snapshot of that time and give the stats we collected from wiki to allay fears and the prevalent predictions that the world will end if gays marry.

Last edited by thosemeninlove; 03-02-2010 at 12:36 PM..

Old 03-02-2010, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thosemeninlove View Post
Well Rhett, until you come with proof that there have been more than is publicly reported, then your victory is hollow.
We both know the truth. It's just inconvenient for you. No matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thosemeninlove
By now others have researched your posts on other topics and understand your personal issues with us.
That's no victory for us, as we get no thrill from having exposed your subtle bigotry.
Actually, if they researched our last discussion as well as this one (which I think you believe they care FAR much more than they do), they'd see a situation where you have a relative moderate being the only one willing to discuss this with you and you demonizing him over it.

You don't like MY opinions on this matter? I guarantee you they're a warm summer-breeze compared to actual conservatives in this country. But you need an enemy to rail against and I'm the only one talking, so there you go...

I haven't at ANY point gotten "personal" with you. You started this last time by making thinly veiled personal attacks through your friend's scintillating freudian internet-analysis of me and haven't stopped since....

You haven't exposed anything that I wouldn't freely admit. "Bigot"? Whatever. I just prefer a little honesty with my legislation. You don't agree for obvious reasons. No skin off my back.

Quote:
Incidentally, you haven't heard from others besides us over this as they don't feel dickering with trolls worth the effort.
LOL!!! Funny you accuse me of getting "personal" with you when you are the ONLY one making ANY personal attacks here. I'm quite indifferent to your existence here. You were caught in a gross over-statement at best (and a lie at worst) and have been whining and flailing like a little baby trying to squirm out of having to own up to it...

If your over-inflated sense of self-importance makes you think that people here really care about our little "disagreement", then whatever.

Quote:
So victory in it's entirety goes to you dear Rhett.

How differently this could have been had you just said, 'I think there may have been more divorces since that report that haven't been documented yet.' and we would have entirely agreed. Our intent was to give a snapshot of that time and give the stats we collected from wiki to allay fears and the prevalent predictions that the world will end if gays marry.
But because I chose to challenge the veracity of your claim in a less amicable way than you'd have preferred, you suddenly DIDN'T entirely agree?

Makes a ton of sense.

But, for the third or fourth time in this particular discussion I'll agree that there's certainly no evidence that shows that gays are more likely to divorce than straights. (Actually there seems to be a trend in countries like the Netherlands where lesbian couples have a higher divorce rate than straights and gay men less than straights.... Not going to dare try to figure out what that means....).

Anyway, had you just said what you said in this post instead of attempting to fabricate a false conclusion with your "Only two gay divorces since gay marriage has been allowed", I would have never entered into this thread. Just was pointing out that this stat isn't true and you got defensive.

Old 03-02-2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Either way, why does it matter?
In my discussion with you? It doesn't.

For those trying to claim that gays never get divorced in Canada? It does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies