Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2010, 10:12 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,549,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Some countries do not have anything like "state's rights" to contain the central government from dictating policy, an unless 0bama plans on wiping out the rights of states, he will not be able to dictate to them from central governmental control.
That is what you may think . . . but any time a federal mandate is passed, that means the states have to comply (when federal $$$ are involved - in other words - ENTITLEMENTS) And if a federal mandate is stricter (or more oppressive) than a state statute, then the federal law has to be followed.

I would hope Governors and State Attorneys General will file suits as indeed, we are not all one state - we are a republic - something this Administration just doesn't seem to "get."

BTW - would someone tell me . . . if we are in such urgent need for that heinous 2700 pp healthcare insurance mandate bill . . . why has all the legislation put an effective date of 2013 or 2014 on it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 10:23 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,069,536 times
Good point Ani.....I laughed when Obama said we can't wait another year, we can't start over, we need reform NOW.

Psst....Mr. President....the benefits and protections offered in the plan wouldn't be implemented for YEARS. I think we have a bit of time to pass something that will have bipartisan support of Congress and even more importantly....the American people!! And, it could be implemented much sooner.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:44 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,953,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Good point Ani.....I laughed when Obama said we can't wait another year, we can't start over, we need reform NOW.

Psst....Mr. President....the benefits and protections offered in the plan wouldn't be implemented for YEARS. I think we have a bit of time to pass something that will have bipartisan support of Congress and even more importantly....the American people!! And, it could be implemented much sooner.
Not true...some of the things in the bill will go into effect this year. Not soon enough for the good of the country. It has been a long time coming , if not now , then when ? Why delay , just because you do not like Dems. ? , or Obama ? Most people do want health care reform , its been cused and discussed for a year now...its time to pass the Bill. !

Old 03-08-2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
That is what you may think . . . but any time a federal mandate is passed, that means the states have to comply (when federal $$$ are involved - in other words - ENTITLEMENTS) And if a federal mandate is stricter (or more oppressive) than a state statute, then the federal law has to be followed.

I would hope Governors and State Attorneys General will file suits as indeed, we are not all one state - we are a republic - something this Administration just doesn't seem to "get."

BTW - would someone tell me . . . if we are in such urgent need for that heinous 2700 pp healthcare insurance mandate bill . . . why has all the legislation put an effective date of 2013 or 2014 on it?
I would rather see a uniform Health Care for all people in the US. Just because you live across a state line , should you have less access to affordable health care ?... I think not. We are a republic yes , but we are also ..These United States , united together for common cause and the welfare of the people. We fight all the wars, federally , we fund 90 per cent of the highways federally...why not health care...just reduce Social security age, that would be a good start, if you can not agree with a single payer system.

Old 03-08-2010, 11:06 AM

38,026 posts, read 22,198,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Not true...some of the things in the bill will go into effect this year. Not soon enough for the good of the country. It has been a long time coming , if not now , then when ? Why delay , just because you do not like Dems. ? , or Obama ? Most people do want health care reform , its been cused and discussed for a year now...its time to pass the Bill. !
With billions in Medicare fraud and something like $40 trillion in unfunded liabilities, why do you trust the federal government to expand the fraud waste and debt?

Medicare Fraud: A $60 Billion Crime - 60 Minutes - CBS News

Why not discover the underlying reason for high health care costs and resolve them, instead of just papering over them with taxpayer dollars by placing an inept federal government in charge of it all?

Old 03-08-2010, 11:24 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,054,248 times
The Federal Government is NOT the cause of Medicare Fraud.

Greedy, dishonest health care providers who are committing Medicare fraud should be convicted. They are the ones who are stealing taxpayer money and who are abusing the system.

Do you think that if there weren't so many players in the field and if the Federal Government had more of an interest in the situation that they might be able to better target these abuses?

I do.

Old 03-08-2010, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
With billions in Medicare fraud and something like $40 trillion in unfunded liabilities, why do you trust the federal government to expand the fraud waste and debt?

Medicare Fraud: A $60 Billion Crime - 60 Minutes - CBS News

Why not discover the underlying reason for high health care costs and resolve them, instead of just papering over them with taxpayer dollars by placing an inept federal government in charge of it all?
So you think Medicare fraud is the real problem? ....It must be fixed along with health care for all.....So , what would you do then ? Are you in favor of the Insurance giants making obscene profits on the backs of the Middle Class ?
We need the federal Government to act in our best interest. Granted that has nor always been done. Oversight is the first thing I would address along with Pork add ons, etc. Yes we do need to clean up our Government , but someone does need to be our advocate against Big Business , and all the crooked practices preformed by Wall Street and the Banks. We did have some laws that just got put aside , the past eight years...We do need laws, rules , regulations....so everyone can be put on a level playing field. I encourage open entry in business , but there must be some protections for the Public. Lets all play the game , but not by giving the Fat cats all the cards because they got all the influence in Washington.

Old 03-08-2010, 11:53 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,054,248 times
Default Wall Street decides your health care..

Wendell Potter was the Cheif Communications Officer for Cigna for 15 years. He should know what he's talking about...

Quote:

WENDELL POTTER: Well, these companies are for-profit companies, and they think first and foremost about their shareholders. That's the first stakeholder that they consider. And they know that they have to meet those expectations or their stock prices will suffer. She, Angela Braly, mentioned that she has stock options, so she has the incentive for that stock price to keep going up, because the more it goes up, the more she makes. So that's number one. They're looking after the best interests of the shareholders first, not the best interests of their customers.
Bill Moyers Journal . Transcripts | PBS

Old 03-08-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
Wendell Potter was the Cheif Communications Officer for Cigna for 15 years. He should know what he's talking about...

Good post; Its not just the policy holders , but the People. There is almost no competition in the industry. They are exempt from anti-trust laws along with baseball teams.... There is every reason for these heartless giants to increase costs to policy holders, because they can...... and no one stops them. Even if the Insurance Cos. loose some customers , they will more than make it up with increases to those who are willing to pay , or have no choice.

What the Insurance Industry fears the most is cost containment of premiums. That would weaken their bottom line , stock would go down...and the very top Executives would have to cut back giving themselves huge windfalls.....and...without even the Stockholders having a say.

Its gone too far...we must have change NOW ! Obama gave a great speech today in PA. he was very clear about the issue.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:55 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,069,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post

Yes, he should. And yet he grossly misrepresents HDHP/HSA's as does the president. He's either ignorant or simply pushing an agenda, neither of which is beneficial in this debate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies