Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 08:39 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,205,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
So...ask a soldier that's killed in battle. Ask him if he isn't haunted by the people he's killed, even though we consider that killing as "socially acceptable."

nope, not haunted at all. my dad told me the same thing from his service in WWII & the Korean war.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 11:00 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,673,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
nope, not haunted at all. my dad told me the same thing from his service in WWII & the Korean war.
There plenty that are--because they're actually human.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I , too, am going to enjoy some shooting with my son today. LMAO, the post you replied to with this is typical of the one who wrote it. He has some type of mental block about shooting as a sport, as well as a means of self defense. This whole thing about firearms being some kind of a surrogate penis and such never ceases to drop my jaw in amazement.We tend to look at shooting as an art as much as anything, one that requires a knowledge of math, geometry, chemistry, physics, and mechanical functions. There is no reasoning with the 'you have to have a gun to feel big" bunc,as they are to self absorbed in their own percieved intellect to listen to factual discussion and reality. Enjoy your range time! I know we will.
Your assertion is ridiculous. That's like saying a pool shark, (or pro) studies physics and trigonometry to make his shots--when instead he merely has an instinctive feel for it and does not have to overtly think about it.

However, "sport" is a waste of time.

Last edited by TKramar; 03-02-2010 at 11:19 AM..

Old 03-02-2010, 11:15 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times
I've stayed away from this thread for a number of reason, most importantly the OP's exceedingly flawed premise.

But the comment made by monkeywrenching a response.

The effects of being involved with taking another's life varies as much from person to person as it does regarding the circumstances in which the killing occurred. For some the justification of the act is sufficient for others there is a sense of deep regret regardless of that justification.

I would also say that the rationale for carrying a weapon are as varied as the number of people who carry them. In this regard, I do agree with the OP, there are a faction of weapons carriers who believe a priori that they are ready willing and able to take another's life. In my life time I have known such people, in the military and out. Some were, but more did not fully comprehend the host of human emotions that are associated with such an act despite their prior denials.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Interesting thing about some folks (the poster you quoted comes to mind) is, that they admit to having no actual knowledge of firearms or shooting, by rote, obviously have no real experience with serious shooters or with shooting, have spent NO time with people who enjoy shooting or the shooting sports, yet, they feel qualified to pass judgment on said people as being inferior, in some fashion, to them.. It would seem, to a reasonable person, that some modicum of actual experience would be required to pass on such views as being indisputable fact. Thus, when their....arguments..are met with disdain by those they choose to belittle, and they cannot understand why() they fall back on insults and blase' generalizations that can't carry water in a new bucket. Of course, to actually form an honest opinion, they would ahve to get out of the basement apartment of their parents house, and go see some things for themselves. The effort required daunts them, and the thought that they might see another side to the world, and appear foolish, even (and especially) to themselves keeps them chained to forming opinions based on cursory examination and short sighted views.
I shot a rifle in high school, I was on a JROTC Rifle Team, and was the commander.

I simply have no use for it now that I am a mature adult.

Old 03-02-2010, 01:09 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,273,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
However, "sport" is a waste of time.
Your assertion is ridiculous

"Sport" is NOT a waste of time. Why would you say it was when 10's of Millions enjoy various Sports each and every day? Why?

Old 03-02-2010, 01:15 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,291,205 times
If you're attacked, make sure you do the following:

1) If you shoot them and they're still alive, finish the job. This way they cannot sue you for permanent injuries in civil court. Unless you're in TX where such lawsuits are laughed out of court. Make sure you finish the job on the same magazine. NEVER reload and continue to fire. Very damaging as evidence against you.
2) It helps if you have a knife with no fingerprints on the handle. Cut yourself with it and put it next to the dead body if they didn't have a weapon to begin with (threatened your life but had no weapon to back it up). This is completely optional and should be done with caution.
3) When the police arrive, say nothing except "I want to speak to my lawyer". The police will NOT protect you.
4) Have a lawyer's number on retainer and his/her number tattooed on your skin (smallest font possible) or memorized. You have one call, and you know where it needs to go.
5) Sleep well knowing you'll likely get off esp. if you live in a state like Texas or another SD friendly place.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:43 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,706,964 times
So everyone out there who has actually shot someone?

More bull

Old 03-02-2010, 02:50 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,554,711 times
Default Gun Carriers- Have you killed anyone?

Nope.

Never even winged anybody.

Still carry a gun most days, though.

Haven't had a flat tire since I don't know when and never anticipate having a flat anytime I leave home. Still, I think it's wise to have a spare tire and the knowledge to mount it, just in case.

Old 03-02-2010, 03:04 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,289,544 times
Exhibits 1 and 2.

Robbery eyed as motive in Stoughton slay - BostonHerald.com

Deadly home invasion rattles New Hampshire town - CNN.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies