Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 09:35 AM

1,837 posts, read 4,356,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkin about it View Post
I would bet a literal majority of gun owners have masturbated at the thought of killing a home intruder. It's beyond just basic paranoia in most cases, it's a fetish of power after a lifetime of being rendered powerless in a competitive world.
Looks like you derive your power from the keyboard . Too bad it didn't come with intelligence .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2010, 09:37 AM

768 posts, read 943,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhounit View Post
Looks like you derive your power from the keyboard . Too bad it didn't come with intelligence .
I derive my power from my bank account and slightly above average hog.

I like my keyboard though. Lotsa free time. Life is good.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:41 AM

4,104 posts, read 5,311,831 times
Quote:
I would bet a literal majority of gun owners have masturbated at the thought of killing a home intruder. It's beyond just basic paranoia in most cases, it's a fetish of power after a lifetime of being rendered powerless in a competitive world.

I'll take that bet. You probably should be "thinking about it" a little more.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:58 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,638,146 times
Quote:
Gawwwd! I KNEW this thread would attract the finest people. Excrement like this, though amusing in a perverse fashion, does stand my hair up a bit. LMAO, I am a plumber , thus the smell of feces, though not pleasant, does not really send me running for the head. Just gets me thinkin' bout business. "Fetish of power" says you? Yea, OK." Masturbating at the thought of killing a home intruder"? This is idiotic on a level I cannot fathom. It takes a ...special...sort of person to come up with something like that. So, if I may answer your comments with a question, just what are YOUR options for dealing with a home intruder? Asking their business and expressing your desire that they leave without violent confrontation? Giving them EVERTHING they want, up to and including carnal knowledge of your wife? Bear in mind that many home invaders get off on that "power fetish" as well. Truthfully, I think you been watchin' to much Micheal Moore, and you have certainly been duped by the slobbering, brainless, rants of of far to many university proffessors who have never experienced violence, beyond an altercation over to much cream in their cafe' latte' whoopy whoppy with a twist. Oh, you can sit up there in your gated condo complex, or whatever other urban haven of "security" you call home, passing down your spew about "power fetishes" and sexual correlations to firearms ownership, but the reality is, you are a helpless and dependent member of a herd, that the REAL "power fetishists'" are slavering over the opportunity to have at their mercy. Yes, I HAVE met violence with violence before, I was not always so fortunate as to live where I do now, and even now, I deal with predatory animals on a daily basis. My firearms are a tool , which I use to negate the possibility that I may come up short when in need, and even out here in a very rural area, two legged varmints still come calling. While I find your unknowledgable missives mildly amusing, the core stupidity is something I cannot get past. Do yourself a favor, and do not venture much further than you have to in this world, you WILL NOT like what you find. Enjoy the obvious security you have, because beyond it are things you are unable to cope with.

Old 02-27-2010, 10:38 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,638,146 times
Quote:
I derive my power from my bank account and slightly above average hog.

I like my keyboard though. Lotsa free time. Life is good.
LMAO, so, we can now add arrogance to stupidity. But, hey, I'll extend the olive branch, wanna go camping? Seriously, though, I still have to wonder how it is you came to be such a naive person. Are you, then, an example of what 'higher education' has to offer? If so, I will be quite content to stay right where I am, surrounded by the smell of livestock and sagebrush, driving my less than perfect truck (which runs quite well and which I maintain myself) and making an honset but less than clean living with my hands and brain combined. And, should the varmints of society feel so inclined as to try and take, by force, that which I have sweated, bled, and wept to obtain, they may feel free to do so. Guess what the key word is in that statement, you are an intelligent guy, yes? Contempt is a two edged sword, and both edges are equally honed. Via con Dios, you will need to do so ,methinks.

Old 02-27-2010, 10:41 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,557,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
or at least are in love with the idea of dong it even in self defense. The main reason why you own gun.
Oh. Please.

Old 02-27-2010, 10:43 AM

711 posts, read 933,426 times
A complex issue to be sure. I can agree with SOME of the OP's remarks concerning the people at the shelter that killed in self defense. I'm not sure what the stats. would show concerning the number of people that have killed in self defense and served time for it--but my info. tells me quite a few.This self defense issue can be a very fine line not always as clearly defined as we may think.There was a true story on T.V. of such a case--which is currently on appeal while the man serves time.

In my personal experience I have questioned the temperment of some people who legally carry and/or own firearms. That said, I don't take a political position or claim to know a remedy, change, or a better way. Perhaps food for thought concerning a very complex issue and one of potential hazards of which many may not be aware of.

Old 02-27-2010, 10:49 AM

2,126 posts, read 2,382,800 times
Quote:
I agree, though perhaps not with the "majority" part. But a good number probably get off on the thought. Why wouldn't they? Look at what "entertains" us these days!??? Video games where you can be the assassin, or mob hit man or x,y,z human predator are prevalent. Killing movies are mainstream. People whack off to this nonsense on a regular basis. It probably provides adrenaline fun. Of course some people who own weapons enjoy the thought of using them to kill a home intruder and defend their space. Note, I said "some."

Old 02-27-2010, 10:51 AM

768 posts, read 943,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Gawwwd! I KNEW this thread would attract the finest people. Excrement like this, though amusing in a perverse fashion, does stand my hair up a bit. LMAO, I am a plumber , thus the smell of feces, though not pleasant, does not really send me running for the head. Just gets me thinkin' bout business. "Fetish of power" says you? Yea, OK." Masturbating at the thought of killing a home intruder"? This is idiotic on a level I cannot fathom. It takes a ...special...sort of person to come up with something like that. So, if I may answer your comments with a question, just what are YOUR options for dealing with a home intruder? Asking their business and expressing your desire that they leave without violent confrontation? Giving them EVERTHING they want, up to and including carnal knowledge of your wife? Bear in mind that many home invaders get off on that "power fetish" as well. Truthfully, I think you been watchin' to much Micheal Moore, and you have certainly been duped by the slobbering, brainless, rants of of far to many university proffessors who have never experienced violence, beyond an altercation over to much cream in their cafe' latte' whoopy whoppy with a twist. Oh, you can sit up there in your gated condo complex, or whatever other urban haven of "security" you call home, passing down your spew about "power fetishes" and sexual correlations to firearms ownership, but the reality is, you are a helpless and dependent member of a herd, that the REAL "power fetishists'" are slavering over the opportunity to have at their mercy. Yes, I HAVE met violence with violence before, I was not always so fortunate as to live where I do now, and even now, I deal with predatory animals on a daily basis. My firearms are a tool , which I use to negate the possibility that I may come up short when in need, and even out here in a very rural area, two legged varmints still come calling. While I find your unknowledgable missives mildly amusing, the core stupidity is something I cannot get past. Do yourself a favor, and do not venture much further than you have to in this world, you WILL NOT like what you find. Enjoy the obvious security you have, because beyond it are things you are unable to cope with.
My plan for a home intrusion is to call the cops, or, if the theoretical fella' really wants me dead, to die. The odds of a home invasion in my neighborhood is akin to my roof getting struck by lightning and falling on my head. Similarly, I don't have a fortified layer around my ceiling to protect me from the roof caving in, either. I just live my life motivated by the pursuit of happiness, not a childish fear of a one-in-a-million "what if."

Old 02-27-2010, 10:51 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,446,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
I know A LOT of you think you'd actually kill someone or at least are in love with the idea of dong it even in self defense. The main reason why you own gun.

I work at a mens shelter and we get a handful of guys that get out of prison for murder, be it self defense or otherwise.

I always hear the same thing from each guy, here's what they say:

If I could do it all over again I would NEVER have taken the persons life. These guys are real killers not wannabe's like many of you. I've met guys that went to prison at 25 and did not get out until they were 60 and they tell me it's not a day that goes by in which they wish they could bring the person they killed back.

I talking guys that have killed in self defense. Yes, you can get prison time for self defense murder charge.

So, all of you wannabe killers. Do you really think you could do it?

I know some of you think the "minorities" are "stealing everything from you" and you need to get a pistol to protect yourself and family.

Or you're just scared of blacks and Hispanics......whatever the reason.

Why do you think you could do it? Have you ever talked to a real killer?

I'm not talking some big month macho a**hole neither.

Well, tell me.........

OK Ron, I'll tell you three things:

1. my guns and I have never harmed anyone

2. your post seems to be making the argument that law-abiding gun owners are the equivalent of sociopathic predators who use guns to commit aggressive crimes

3. if you so disapprove of firearms, please feel free to not own any

We good?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies