Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2010, 07:05 PM

4,788 posts, read 5,919,055 times

Advertisements

it will be reeled in from time to time....the next big conflict is due about 2018. It's very sad to watch the government, and Pentagon crank up that old nasty machine to "destroy" such things as communism....all hail Communist China ! hey kiddies : what comes after "terrorism?" any guesses on the next "ism?" Never fear, Uncle Sam and friends will bring you wars...right on schedule....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 07:12 PM

201 posts, read 236,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
Is it time to cut military spending? Absolutely!
I agree. However it will not happen. Perpetual war without declaration and perpetual "fear" of "terrorism" will ensure a hefty military budget all the way to the end.

Remember, we now have two Defense Departments, one real one that once was able to really fight war but now plays around (sadly) and a second fake one that is "protecting" us from a few motivated terds who sit on the last best oil reserves.

So we're stuck with it.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:20 PM

3,645 posts, read 9,232,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
The Military should be responsible for defending our borders from invasion. They should not be used as World Policemen to wage a war on the select few drugs that cause minimal deaths in this country
You mean like the ones that invade our borders? Pls make up your mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
HOW NAIVE CAN YOU BE? YOU THINK THE MILITARY IS A HUMANITARIAN ORGANIZATION?
Where the heck did you get that? I don't see him or anyone else making such a claim.

Quote:
I am aware that the propaganda machine will try to portray our military as a version of "habitat for humanity,"
And again. What "propaganda machine" is making this claim? New one on me.

Quote:
I'm sad we've forgotten world war ii, hiroshima, and viet nam so quickly.
I'm baffled that you think they are "forgotten." Further, it's sad that you (apparently) have forgotten things like Pearl Harbor, concentration camps, Japanese and Vietnamese prison camps (etc)

Quote:
Wonder why there are no unstaged pictures from Afganistan and Iraq? You have to go back to Viet Nam to see photos of what a military action does. Look up the famous photo (published in Life Magazine) of the screaming naked child running down the road after being burned with napalm. Have you seen it? Do you get it now?
I don't. ie what's your point? That war is ugly? War is hell? Well duh. And-? You think that will change if we scale back the military? ??

Old 03-03-2010, 07:34 PM

418 posts, read 488,997 times
We have a pretty sh*tty military. Their incompetence is of such epic proportions, they couldn't even stop 19 guys with box cutters. We had attackers in our country for over a year and our military was nowhere to be found.

Thanks, but no thanks. That's defense I can do without. With that track record, I'd rather protect myself.

Old 03-04-2010, 01:03 PM

3,645 posts, read 9,232,623 times
Gee it's great to see you say that in (at least) 2 diff threads - and frankly it's just as ridiculous in this one as the other. If you're out of high school (or old enough to be), your ignorance of the topic is laughably pathetic.

I suggest you try actually learning something about a topic before spewing such drool; you'll do a lot better at not making a fool of yourself.

Old 03-04-2010, 01:16 PM

10,650 posts, read 10,765,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfacedjenkins View Post
We have a pretty sh*tty military. Their incompetence is of such epic proportions, they couldn't even stop 19 guys with box cutters. We had attackers in our country for over a year and our military was nowhere to be found.

Thanks, but no thanks. That's defense I can do without. With that track record, I'd rather protect myself.
How basic does it have to get for you to understand how completly FUed your thinking is? I'll try.........The Military in this country had no responsibility to stop "19 guys with box cutters" I think it's probably easy for you to defend yourself sitting there in your mom's basement....

Old 03-04-2010, 01:20 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,582,816 times
Are some of you people insane?? Cut the military?? Korea continues building nuclear missles, Iran is trying to get the bomb......terrorists keep trying to hit us from within AND YOU WANT TO SCALE BACK???? Answer this: Which would make our enemies happier.......scaling back or improving of defense technology?

It's simple...... if you are a burglar and you are casing a neighborhood. Do you choose the house with the guy that is known to have several weapons for protection or the home with the single mom and 3 small children?

And don't lie!

You pick the one that you seem to have an advantage over! The one that appears to be weakest! This is an evil world with evil people. People who, for no good reason, will want to take what is yours or kill you. But even those people think twice if they perceive a threat to themselves!

Peace through Strength.....

Common sense.........education, health care and jobs won't matter if we are invaded or attacked long-range. Military is necessary to even have the life we enjoy. To go the ball games, picnic, go to church, vote...etc. Do you think this is just magic or something??

Cut spending elsewhere! Lord knows there's enuff pork in places that don't need it!

LOOK AT THIS:
Quote:
Half the contracts awarded without [being] subject to full and open competition and went out for a fixed price,” said McCain. “Whenever you do this, you end up with outrageous awarding.”

Two million dollars in stimulus money went to build a replica railroad as a tourist attraction in Carson City, Nev.

A dinner cruise company based in Chicago received nearly $1 million in funds to combat terrorism.

Half a million dollars went to Arizona State University to study the genetic makeup of ants to determine distinctive roles in ant colonies; $450,000 went to the University of Arizona to study the division of labor in ant colonies.

“I had no idea that so much expertise concerning ants resided in the major universities of my state,” said McCain. “I say that with an element of pride, but I’m not sure it's deserving of these taxpayers’ dollars.”
Senate GOP point out 'pure waste' found in stimulus package - TheHill.com
This is the crap you cut out!!

Old 03-04-2010, 01:25 PM

9,317 posts, read 18,791,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Your ignorance must be blissful. The military is also a tool for natural disasters to be used to save lives and help rebuild communities and restore order. But all you see is the typical liberal anti-military viewpoint. Surprised you didn't throw in the standard "baby killers" or "Murderers" insults.
They used "baby killers" and "murderers" in the V.N era. I was at an airport when some of our troops came home and the unwashed were there slinging their insults and holding their little signs. Changed me, really did. Now when I hear the left claim to love and honor our men and women in uniform I almost lose my lunch. The other thing is why do some always scream to cut our military when terrorists and our enemy is ramping up? If they have a death wish we have plenty of bridges in the USA...go find one.

Old 03-04-2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Would be easier to make peace... Usually people who claim to need the military for defense, have themselves a hidden offensive agenda.

Tell you what.....if someone breaks into your home. Don't call the local military (i.e. the cops). Make peace instead.

Old 03-04-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
The US is the single greatest power that has ever existed and controls the world because of that "superfluous" military. It is the only reason you can live a lifestyle where obesity can actually be a problem and wars can be fought for you without having to worry about draft cards comming in the mail and having enemy bombers fly over your house.

I didn't say it was right, mind you... but the contemporary suburban "american dream" lifestyle would be impossible without the Military Industrial Complex. Are you willing to give up everything you have in exchange for a different system that you may or may not benefit from?

Amen!!

Logic 101

Freedom ain't free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies