Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2010, 02:46 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,786,996 times

Advertisements

Spending could be cut significantly if leadership would take a hard look at manning in deployed locations and how we conduct business. Right now there are way too many people over there in the AOR, especially at support bases which are not in direct hostile terrirory. Contractors are getting rich off these wars. Did you know the government gets charged $16 per meal served to military members in the AOR? Whoever owns that contract is making billions just from serving meals while paying third country nationals pennies on the dollar. That's just a small scale cost. I can only imagine how much we're spendingo on weapons systems we never use, transportation, fuel, medical, logistics etc. Lot's of waste going on, and no one is taking a hard look. I have personally heard and discussed this with commander's who insist there are too many people over there. I've witnessed first hand the waste and abuse that takes place in regard to personnel and logistics. I suspect it's not by accident. Contractors and lobbyists and ultimately politicians are gaining the most from this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 03:05 PM

281 posts, read 447,011 times
If we just nuke China to bits right now we probably could get rid of a large part of the military...even though the military is mostly just wasteful spending right now, getting rid of it at this moment also means you won't be able to get it back quickly in the future. All the manufacturing that goes lost will take years to build back up.

Old 03-04-2010, 03:14 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,918,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Amen!!

Logic 101

Freedom ain't free.
spending tons of money we don't have isn't going to give us "freedom" either.

you need to look at what has happened historically. i would like to amend that statement slightly, in that i do believe in defensive spending as it accounts for some of our GDP but certainly we are over the top going into other countries and trying to act as the world's policemen. i would like to save all that money particularly and invest it in the UNITED STATES.

Old 03-04-2010, 04:01 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,549,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Spending could be cut significantly if leadership would take a hard look at manning in deployed locations and how we conduct business. Right now there are way too many people over there in the AOR, especially at support bases which are not in direct hostile terrirory. Contractors are getting rich off these wars. Did you know the government gets charged $16 per meal served to military members in the AOR? Whoever owns that contract is making billions just from serving meals while paying third country nationals pennies on the dollar. That's just a small scale cost. I can only imagine how much we're spendingo on weapons systems we never use, transportation, fuel, medical, logistics etc. Lot's of waste going on, and no one is taking a hard look. I have personally heard and discussed this with commander's who insist there are too many people over there. I've witnessed first hand the waste and abuse that takes place in regard to personnel and logistics. I suspect it's not by accident. Contractors and lobbyists and ultimately politicians are gaining the most from this.

Yes!! That is why we make those weapons systems!! So we won't have to use them!! THAT'S THE POINT! We want potential enemies so afraid to mess with us that they DON"T. Thus we don't have to use them.

But in the even they do, we have enuff power to overwhelm them quickly and efficiently if necessary.

Sure....we can use some oversight for some of the stuff you mentioned. But the military is still the last one to pick for this.

Old 03-04-2010, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
spending tons of money we don't have isn't going to give us "freedom" either.

you need to look at what has happened historically. i would like to amend that statement slightly, in that i do believe in defensive spending as it accounts for some of our GDP but certainly we are over the top going into other countries and trying to act as the world's policemen. i would like to save all that money particularly and invest it in the UNITED STATES.

Then cut the pork outta some whare else.

You don't have a friggin' GDP if we don't exist! What part of that do you not get??

Obama is trying to ram through health care we can't pay for! We got stimulus money going to districts that don't exist!! DID YOU KNOW THAT?

Old 03-04-2010, 08:54 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,139,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Wow, this has to be the worst possible reply to this topic I've ever seen. So, instead of fighting for their lives, England should have just sat back and let the Germans come in, take over their country, execute anyone they felt like executing and not raise a single finger to stop the mass murder? That's it! I'm putting you on the ignore list.
Thank you so much for not being able to be civil. I won't miss you. But in any case, your assumption, laughable as it is, is simply wrong. I never promoted the idea of standing down, and I do indeed support defending one's self. It also seems you were not alone in ridiculing my position. I understand the basis for that sentiment; however, my position still stands on solid ground.

Your view, and those of many others, is skewed from the more enlightened perspective that I possess (which is still difficult for even me to swallow when the majority of people just won't put two and two together). Yours is a world of strife and aggression, with insane people running about victimizing others. Mine is populated with the same people, but I know the responsibility for the aggression lies with both the victimizer and the victim. For the truth is that all are party to the creation of reality. There is no escaping this truth, you will not be pardoned or exonerated because you weren't aware of this.

You prepare for war, you will create it. Why? Because your energies are directed toward destruction and the universe will gladly oblige. Ever hear the old adage "Be careful what you wish for..."? Of course, you won't apply this concept here and will continue to only react to the world while believing that it (the war, the aggression, etc) simply happened without your input. Ha! Nothing happens without your input.

Our trillions of dollars spent on the military have not brought peace and will never bring peace. Peace requires no capital outlay, no taxation, no body bags and no prisons. It is a state of mind that few humans are capable of only because they won't stop long enough to realize that thinking is a choice. Yes, your thoughts are a choice. Sadly, most people give that choice to others. Well, I myself am on the way out of this state of mindlessness. I refuse to create a horrible reality for someone else's benefit. I'd much rather consciously create my own. Anybody else interested?

Old 03-05-2010, 12:37 AM

3,281 posts, read 6,279,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
How basic does it have to get for you to understand how completly FUed your thinking is? I'll try.........The Military in this country had no responsibility to stop "19 guys with box cutters" I think it's probably easy for you to defend yourself sitting there in your mom's basement....
If it wasn't the military's responsibility to stop us the first time, why are we expecting them to stop them the next time?

Old 03-05-2010, 12:43 AM

3,281 posts, read 6,279,618 times
The odds of an American dying from a terrorist attack are extremely low. You have a better chance of being electrocuted or drowning.

There is a propaganda machine pushing fear just so people like many posting on this thread will believe that funding the military to excess is a necessity when it's not. The Federal government is spending money at an out-of-control rate. Everything needs to be cut substantially, and that includes the military.

Old 03-05-2010, 01:45 AM

418 posts, read 487,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
How basic does it have to get for you to understand how completly FUed your thinking is? I'll try.........The Military in this country had no responsibility to stop "19 guys with box cutters" I think it's probably easy for you to defend yourself sitting there in your mom's basement....
That's the whole problem with our military, it's out stirring sh*t up instead of staying home and defending our borders.

So we need one agency to insight hate in us around the world and ANOTHER to take our civil liberties away at home? Get real. The military isn't doing their job.

Old 03-05-2010, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
The odds of an American dying from a terrorist attack are extremely low. You have a better chance of being electrocuted or drowning.

There is a propaganda machine pushing fear just so people like many posting on this thread will believe that funding the military to excess is a necessity when it's not. The Federal government is spending money at an out-of-control rate. Everything needs to be cut substantially, and that includes the military.
Then ask yourself this:

If we scale back our defenses, do our odds get higher for attack or lower??

BE HONEST.

I contend that there is a reason for the odds being low and it has nothing to do with our enemeis not wanting us dead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies