Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2010, 03:34 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,300,551 times

Advertisements

Right Wing folks support Wal-Mart because of it's image and not because of it's policies or how it's run as a business. To them, how it's perceived as a good ole boy store that espouses Christian values is all they care about even if in reality, they deny health insurance to thousands of employees, pay below average wages, treat employees poorly and destroy small town America as they drive out local businesses. If the Right Wing would use their brain for a change and realize the very people Wal-Marts appears to support are the people they exploit and hurt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 03:47 AM

550 posts, read 1,356,098 times
I don't feel like reading through all of the comments but I really hate how everything around a Walmart store turns into a dump.

Their parking lots are horrible because their customers litter and leave carts everywhere. A few of them will ride the bus to walmart so you have carts along the damn road. Also, the lower-class and poor go there with their kids and problems.

I do like their low prices though lol. Snacks and beer is about the only thing I get from there.

Old 03-04-2010, 03:58 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,300,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
I've found that people who hate Wal-mart generally shop at Target. Kind of ironic when you consider Target is pretty much the same store with the same product at a higher cost. Oh, and the people are better looking. Why spend 100 dollars at Wal-Mart when you could get the exact same stuff at Target for 120? And people wonder why the economy is in the crapper.
I will gladly pay $20 more to shop at Target because Wal-Mart has the following problems

(1) Long waits - they don't hire enough cashiers so that you end up waiting or having to use the self-check out. At Target, you can walk right up to a register without waiting

(2) Crowds - At Target, you can shop in peace without waiting for someone to leave an aisle or worry about getting hit by another cart

(3) Unsafe Parking lots - Wal Mart drivers are crazy and don't let people cross or you will have some WT driver double park his monster truck.

(4) Gangs - I hate going to Wal-Mart and seeing gangs loiter in the store.

(5) Lack of high end items - Target carries items that Wal-Mart doesn't because Wal-Mart customers can't afford them

(6) Lack of Help- At Wal-Mart, people hate being asked to help you find items and act like it's a burden. They will even hide from you. At Target, people will walk up to you and ask if you need help finding an item

(7) Bad Layout - At Wal-Mart, they had 5 bins full of cheap $1 videos in the center of a horizontal aisle so the space was extremely limited and causing congestion. Their aisles in general seem more narrow.

(8) Shelves are messy and unstocked- It's annoying to see items misplaced or shelves not restocked. That happens all the time at Wal-Mart. I noticed a certain aisle was empty and I asked if they sold out of the product and the guy claimed they had more items in the back and would stock it soon. It wasn't stocked until 2 days later.

(9) Politics - you can't buy certain items because Wal-Mart's Evangelical stance prevents that like certain novels or books that are top sellers but are "controversial" I know that Wal-Mart stopped carrying Maxim, Stuff and other magazines because they were considered nudy mags to their Evangeical customers

(10) Bathrooms - This is not an option if you shop at Wal-Mart because they are never clean

Yes, I'll pay $20 more to shop at Target. In fact, I'd probably pay $30 more because the peace of mind is worth shopping at Target

Old 03-04-2010, 04:27 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,532,927 times
It seems to me that most of the complaints registered in this thread aren't about Walmart at all, but about the people who shop there, especially fat people.

Gee, if you can't stand be around obese people, where do you go? Do y'all hold private self-righteousness seminars up in the woods where fat folks can't bother you? Being so judgmental and bigoted must be a trial for you folks seeing as how you've got to run into some anywhere you go. Or, do you just stay home with the blinds drawn to save yourselves from exposure to your obese neighbors? It must be a chore to live life so wrapped up in yourselves that you can't tolerate anyone not exactly like you. I guess it's proof that the Bible is right when it predicts that in the end time, "men will become lovers of themselves."

A pox on you all. Self-righteousness is a cancer, eating away at America, and simpleton's like y'all, who are so easily persuaded that other people are less deserving, less human, less "enlightened" than you, are the support structure for spreading the disease of bigotry and hate.

By the way, this thread proves something I've been trying to tell folks for years: Overweight people are the new smokers. After the obese, who's next?

Old 03-04-2010, 04:33 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,951,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird82 View Post
I'm not really a Wal-Mart hater, but not all Wal-Marts are created equal. Some are pretty clean and nice with reasonably decent human beings inside, while others aren't. I do find Targets to me much better kept across the board and tend to shop at them if I have the option.
The one in our neighborhood is ultra clean and the food/produce is good and fresh. I won't buy my clothes from there though. Cheap crap that falls apart after being washed a few times.

Old 03-04-2010, 04:55 AM

1,258 posts, read 2,312,213 times
Wal-Mart is a free-marketeer/Repubelican/neo-con/talk-radiot's wet dream...Capitalism at its best!

Old 03-04-2010, 06:06 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
Can you explain what the difference would be with working at:

Target
Kmart
Any fast food joint (minus the mfg goods)

Buying power and the impact that has on the manufacturing sector and the labor sector.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:27 AM

3,282 posts, read 5,202,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
I suspect the real reason liberals hate Walmart is because they despise the Waltons and their money. See, the Waltons are notoriously and outspokenly conservative and they are LOADED! They exemplify what is right with capitalism. If a Yahoo from the sticks like Sam Walton can make it big through hard work, common sense marketing and dedicated leadership, the rest of us have no excuse for not making capitalism work for us too.
Greater dependency on Chinese manufactured goods is what is right with capitalism?

Old 03-04-2010, 07:00 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,342,697 times
A Target v Walmart thread from the Minneapolis MB. We prefer Target by a big margin.

//www.city-data.com/forum/minne...walmart-7.html

Old 03-04-2010, 07:06 AM

716 posts, read 1,119,878 times
Politics aside, Walmart just seems shoddy. I go there every once in a while, and there are always long lines and zero customer service. I've never waited long at Target.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies