Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2010, 02:22 PM

694 posts, read 746,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
Of course people should be responsible for what they do and how they act. Are they in general? of course. But what happens when they can't or won't?

A civilized society takes care of its citizens and promotes personal responsibilty. Just do a quick comparison of the so called liberal bastion of Massachusetts and the home of conservatism Mississippi. It'll be a quick comparison, but a long contrast. Or compare the US with any European nation, France, Italy or Germany for example. We're like the Mississippi of the world.

We can't force responsibilty onto someone. If we could there would be no crime or poverty.

That's where the state steps in. I feel some Republicans would remove all social networks and have people fend for themselves, would remove all money for education and transportation. You know what happens when we do that? 50 different transportation systems, 50 different educational systems, etc etc. 50 different nations, we becomes little more than the European Union minus the class.

Long story short, I'm liberal and believe in personal responsibility. But not everyone shares my values. But I believe in a civilized and social society. It is the job of government (in this case the federal) to do for us individuals and states that we will not or cannot do on our own.
I agree rather well with you, and I am very much on the conservative side of things. The one problem with the equation is getting people to agree on what things we should be doing for our selves that we WILL NOT do. What we can't do is easy to figure out, but some people will invariably say that THIS or THAT should be the gov'ts responsibilty while others will say it shouldn't be. But, generally speaking, we agree.

Charles

Old 04-11-2010, 03:31 PM

8,060 posts, read 3,954,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Seems to me it's the right-wingers and the likes of Glenn Beck who are trying to put the label of 'progressive' onto liberals. You rarely ever hear a liberal call themselves 'progressive.'

Were you sleeping when they took over your Party???

Congressional Progressive Caucus

Old 04-11-2010, 03:39 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,589,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
Were you sleeping when they took over your Party???

Congressional Progressive Caucus
The only way any extremist party can get into power is to take over one of the two parties...or both.

You only have Dem or Repub..take your pick.
Any extremist group knows they have no chance with their own third party..infiltrate THE party and slowly spread your agenda.

Seems to have happened to both. And most voters are up in arms with the polarization of the two parties..do you not see that ?

Obama is no middle of the road Dem and well, the Repubs have no one but the neo-cons are speaking pretty loud for them these days.

So now what do we do ???

Old 03-31-2012, 02:28 PM

7,006 posts, read 7,002,607 times
Default Study: Liberals More Likely To Be Intolerant Of Different Opinions

C-D proves this study right every day

Online, liberals far less tolerant than normal people
A new study shows that liberals are more likely to unfriend, block or hide those whom they disagree with than conservatives are.

Liberals tend to respond defensively with anger, even trying to shut off or silence critics.

Civil discourse is not tolerated by liberals, according to the study, who prefer to block or unfriend diverse opinions that differ from their own.

Old 03-31-2012, 02:32 PM

30 posts, read 39,324 times
A Liberals greatest fear is to appear unintelligent.

That is why The Elites can sell the average liberal any nonsense.

Old 03-31-2012, 02:32 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,236,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
C-D proves this study right every day

Online, liberals far less tolerant than normal people
A new study shows that liberals are more likely to unfriend, block or hide those whom they disagree with than conservatives are.

Liberals tend to respond defensively with anger, even trying to shut off or silence critics.

Civil discourse is not tolerated by liberals, according to the study, who prefer to block or unfriend diverse opinions that differ from their own.
I find this to be true of most liberals on this board.

Old 03-31-2012, 02:42 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,155,747 times
Can we please get off this canard? Every week someone posts this. Use the search feature and you'll see multiple streams on this bogus theme.

Conservatives can stop pretending that rejection of intolerance is, in and of itself, intolerance. Rejection of racisim is not intolerance. In only a few minutes reading the forum today, I have seen African Americans stereotyped as welfare recipients and criminals, gays blamed for "creating" AIDS and worse-- None of these claims made by liberals. I'll say it again: Rejecting this intolerance and racisim is not intolerance.

It is not intolerance to reject a narrow racist, or bogus argument-- It is intelligence. Intelligent people can disagree on opinions and approaches-- but not on facts. Many on this board want to invent their own facts, and then scream intolerance, when their incoherent, tin-foil hat, against all factual evidence rantings are rejected as crazy.

Sorry--tolerance is living and getting along with others who's lifestyle is different than yours. Intolerance is understanding that backgrounds, customs, lifestyles differ and accepting that fact. You don't have to love it, or do it in your own home-- You just basically have to show basic decorum towards others who are different. It's that easy.

It doesn't mean accepting intellectually deleterious, or completely impossible "ideas" that are damaging to society, or even the good natured debate we attempt to have here

Old 03-31-2012, 02:44 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,533,627 times
So, we have studies to prove that Libs are both less tolerant and less charitable than conservatives. Gee....I'm not surprised.

Old 03-31-2012, 02:50 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,155,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
So, we have studies to prove that Libs are both less tolerant and less charitable than conservatives. Gee....I'm not surprised.
Please cite some examples of your tolerance and open mindedness in previous posts. I'd like to learn how to be more tolerant from your example, as a conservative.

Thanks!

Old 03-31-2012, 02:55 PM

2,836 posts, read 3,499,649 times
What would Jesus do? That's the question!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies