Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 12:06 PM

1,773 posts, read 1,266,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
What a non-story. Just another homofascist looking to become a liberal martyr and media darling. Yet an innocent small town in Anywhere USA gets smeared and bashed by the bigoted mainstream media who punishes people/towns who don't think and live according to their subjective laws.
Yes, I weep for this town, truly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 12:11 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,681,868 times
I think a simple response would be.
We are throwing a prom come if you want and that will settle it.
End of story.
Parents are the ones giving the money for the kids to get clothes and other items and since they fund it they have a say too. If their kids attend that is because they werent going to let anyone interfere will their kids having a prom.
Unfortantly adults and funding wins out in the world of schools, proms and POPULAR OP.
ITs a prom who gives a crap the only ones concerned are those who think prom is the greatest thing since slided bread. ITS A PARTY that is it move on.
Keep your social judgements to yourself and let those who live in that lifestyle or ANY LIFESTYLE THE F ALONE, let them figure out their own issues and you figure out your own life.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:17 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,051,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
This is 2010, where taking self-absorption to new heights is the American way. The prom had to be all about HER, see. Just HER, and her LESBIAN date. She had to make that loud announcement, of course. It wouldn't have been any fun if she and her girlfriend just showed up and played it cool. She needed to have the media there front and center to take notes and photos for posterity. She wants to play the gay liberal hero, to have her photo on the cover of The Advocate.

When she finally got what she wanted-- a prom that was all about HER, sanctioned by the school-- she was disappointed to find that the rest of the town that she bad-mouthed didn't want to attend HER prom, so they created a separate prom where the normal kids could go and have fun without having to deal with the Drama Queen and the bigoted media that predictably painted them as the bad guys. Poor lesbian Drama Queen is the victim once again.

I hope the kids had a great, peaceful time at their prom without all the hullaballoo from that one idiot who tried to ruin it for them. I'm proud of them for standing up to her bullying and refusing to let her ruin their special day.
Perhaps she was grandstanding. So what? Teenagers grandstand.

Where were the adults in this? You know, the ones who should have known better than to let this situation get completely out of hand. The ones who could look a few weeks into the future and see the tremendous potential for a public relations nightmare. The ones who could see that spending tens of thousands of dollars or more defending themselves against the ACLU would compromise their ability to fulfill their educational duties.

The entire community is now going to pay a hefty price for adults who forgot that they were the grown-ups in this situation. Congratulations Mississippi, you're now leading the race to be the center of American idiocy.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:19 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,239,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Perhaps she was grandstanding. So what? Teenagers grandstand.

Where were the adults in this? You know, the ones who should have known better than to let this situation get completely out of hand. The ones who could look a few weeks into the future and see the tremendous potential for a public relations nightmare. The ones who could see that spending tens of thousands of dollars or more defending themselves against the ACLU would compromise their ability to fulfill their educational duties.

The entire community is now going to pay a hefty price for adults who forgot that they were the grown-ups in this situation. Congratulations Mississippi, you're now leading the race to be the center of American idiocy.
There's a small difference from attentionwhoring on facebook to doing something like this. If she really wanted to go, all she had to do was just shut up, and show up, instead of a nnouncing her intentions. She did it for attention. She wanted the attention more than she wanted to go to the prom with a girl, because she could have if she wanted to.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:22 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,051,162 times
Once again, so what? I don't care whether or not this young girl was grandstanding. The fact remains that the entire mess could have been avoided if the adults in this situation had remembered to be grown-ups, because now the entire district has a very big, very public, very expensive battle on their hands, and the only ones who will win are the attorneys.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:24 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,464,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
The kids didn't seem to have a problem with the gay couple attending, only the adults at the school district. Why?

Miss. School Prom off After Lesbian's Date Request - ABC News

This happened in Utah a few years back if I remember. A gay couple wanted to attend, so they just shut the whole thing down. I'm surprised we didn't invade a country too while we were at it.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:24 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,844,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
There's a small difference from attentionwhoring on facebook to doing something like this. If she really wanted to go, all she had to do was just shut up, and show up, instead of a nnouncing her intentions. She did it for attention. She wanted the attention more than she wanted to go to the prom with a girl, because she could have if she wanted to.
They wouldn't have let her in. She knew this from what had happened previously. She attempted to get the rules changed quietly. All the school had to do was let her attend and there never would have been any publicity.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:26 PM

1,773 posts, read 1,266,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
Oh well, so she wanted attention. Those idiots at that school certainly gave her what she was looking for in that case, didn't they?

Old 04-07-2010, 12:29 PM

571 posts, read 943,412 times
If they were a PRIVATE school, I'd agree that they could prohibit people from going to their prom. However this is a public school, it is government-run, and the government has no business discriminating against US citizens in any way, shape, or form. Or are there people who applaud picking and choosing which citizens are "good" and which are "bad"?

Old 04-07-2010, 12:52 PM

79 posts, read 94,150 times
Can I bring my Camel to the prom? If I want to bring an animal to the prom as my date I should be able to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies