Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2010, 10:58 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,568,977 times

Advertisements

If Obama & Co. were really interested in a health-care bill offering just a minimal safety net level health care bill, he could have done so in well under 100 pages.

The fact that this monstrosity includes 100+ boards, commissions and other rule-making and enforcement entities guarantees that the projected costs for this bill will wind up being well under the actual costs, which will guarantee either European or Candaian-level rationing or record-shattering tax increases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 11:12 AM

89,028 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
The point of reforming the Health Care delivery system in this Country, is to work towards establishing a system that accomplishes getting people access to effective care as inexpensively as possible. The fact that there are costs, that do nothing directly related to the care we receive, is wasted money. If the cost of a procedure is $100 yet you pay $125, what is the value to you of that additional $25? The Health Care needs of our population is massive and expensive. Why put an additional price on top? The Law is a step to try to minimize that additional cost factor. Does it go far enough, my opinion, is no. But it is a start. Very missing from the Law, is aggressive initiatives to work on reducing the actual costs of getting care. To be sure, this area will have to undergo significant additional efforts. The idea, is to get to the point where we all pay as little as possible, and be able to get care when needed. They are currently addressing that $25, they have yet to address aggressively enough, the $100. Both have to be worked on, as we continue to go forward, they will. At some point in the future, we may actually get a good HC system. There are some people in our society that cannot shoulder any of the burden, that is true. Those more capable of doing it, will be required to do so. And it is also true, that those most capable will shoulder most of the burden, just as is true in our Income Tax system.
So why does Obama's and the Dems' HCR law move the process backwards by placing a GREATER burden on low-income and minority seniors?

Old 04-09-2010, 11:38 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
So why does Obama's and the Dems' HCR law move the process backwards by placing a GREATER burden on low-income and minority seniors?
Depending on where one lives, MA plans offer more and less in benefits. Florida, has a good bit more available than other states. As John McCain indicated at the Summit, and the President agreed. Even within the state of Fla, there are differences. It should not be that way, the MA plans should be all similar, in what they offer over basic Medicare. The reform will address these inequalities. Extended MA plans are now, and will still be available. Now some states have only 1 or 2 Companies that offer MA plans. So competition is not providing much incentive to make the plans more attractive. Your continued assertion is not supported by the AARP or NAACP, certainly not to the extent you are implying.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Depending on where one lives, MA plans offer more and less in benefits. Florida, has a good bit more available than other states. As John McCain indicated at the Summit, and the President agreed. Even within the state of Fla, there are differences. It should not be that way, the MA plans should be all similar, in what they offer over basic Medicare. The reform will address these inequalities.
It addresses the supposed inequalities by stripping low-income and minority seniors of the needed medical care the MA plans provide at an affordable cost to those seniors, without any provision whatsoever to provide any other way for those seniors to access that medical care.

Why are you so unwilling to accept that this is what Obama and the Dems have done?

They've made their intent perfectly clear:

YouTube - Obama to Jane Sturm: Hey, take a pill

YouTube - TW Paul Krugman death panels a cost saver.mov

Old 04-09-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
It addresses the supposed inequalities by stripping low-income and minority seniors of the needed medical care the MA plans provide at an affordable cost to those seniors, without any provision whatsoever to provide any other way for those seniors to access that medical care.

Why are you so unwilling to accept that this is what Obama and the Dems have done?
Because they have not done that, how many time do I need to tell you, that I don't accept your assertion, as fact. I am quite willing to accept what Obama and the Dems have done and are continuing to do.

Old 04-09-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Because they have not done that, how many time do I need to tell you, that I don't accept your assertion, as fact.
You're willingly blind to the truth? Why?

Quote:
It’s their story, and they’re sticking to it. I’m referring to the contention of the Obama Administration, supported by Sen. Max Baucus, that projected reductions in payments to Medicare Advantage plans will not affect the benefits of enrollees.
Of course, that’s nonsense. Testifying before the Senate Finance Committee, Douglas Elmendorf, director of the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office, admitted that, in fact, seniors in these private plans would see benefit cuts if Medicare decreased payments to the insurance companies.
Tell The Truth About Medicare Advantage Plan Benefits | BNET Health Care Blog | BNET

Now... show us exactly where in the HCR bill the medical care taken away by the cuts to Medicare Advantage are replaced. We'll wait...

Last edited by InformedConsent; 04-09-2010 at 02:14 PM..

Old 04-09-2010, 02:27 PM

Quote:
You're willingly blind to the truth? Why?

Tell The Truth About Medicare Advantage Plan Benefits | BNET Health Care Blog | BNET

Now... show us exactly where in the HCR bill the medical care taken away by the cuts to Medicare Advantage are replaced. We'll wait...
Here is a quick look at the Law. Yes, subsidies to private companies for Advantage plans will see cuts. What specifically will be the impact on Advantage plans, we don't know. Each insurer will make that evaluation and may well cut some of the extended goodies, but they cannot cut basic Medicare level coverage. There are enhancements to the basic Medicare coverages that these companies, will also be required to follow.

Q+A: How does healthcare overhaul affect Medicare? | Reuters

I suspect, since I have a more generous MA plan due to the fact that I live in Fla, My extras, will be reduced. I am OK with that, I have long felt it was unfair to the people in other states. I believe that leveling the field, is a good thing.

Old 04-09-2010, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Here is a quick look at the Law. Yes, subsidies to private companies for Advantage plans will see cuts.
...I suspect, since I have a more generous MA plan due to the fact that I live in Fla, My extras, will be reduced. I am OK with that, I have long felt it was unfair to the people in other states. I believe that leveling the field, is a good thing.
You're okay with having your access to medical care cut, so screw anyone else that is harmed by the cuts? Is that a popular Dem sentiment... You'll get less and like it!?
...I doubt it because here's the SEIU, INSISTING that their medical care benefits remain the same:

"There's no way SEIU-UHW members are giving up any of our healthcare benefits."
As National Bargaining for 100,000 Union Members at Kaiser Permanente Begins... SEIU-UHW Members Tell Kaiser:... -- OAKLAND, Calif., April 7 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ --

There's the lovely SEIU/Dem mentality on display... "I get mine; screw everyone else."

The FACT is that Obama's and the Dems' HCR bill CUTS medical care for seniors who can least afford to have their medical care cut. That's the EXACT opposite of what they claimed the bill was about... affordable health care.

Old 04-10-2010, 01:34 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,053,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I'll start...unless somebody types faster than I am

Since Obama can 'buy' votes.....Oh, I mean....can be so persuasive ( as proved by his Fox interview....do you really think he won't convince enough undecideds to get this 'thing' passed?

Doesn't matter how much we yell and scream here on CD,
it influences not one vote and we can't promise those recalcitrant Dems a damn thing
This Health Care bill is going to be a total disaster for the entire country. We see good from it right now, because we're blinded by it's glittery promises, but we'll feel the burdens to this bill in the years to come. =(

Old 04-10-2010, 05:16 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
I don't buy a can of tuna with a hope of a promise it will turn into caviar....price to be ascertained at a later date and only discovered when I get my credit card bill.
floridabob doesn't appear to be bothered about buying a pig in a poke or the fact that he may only end up with pig's feet instead of pork chops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies