Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 08:11 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times

Advertisements

Frist they can not put you in jail. The penalty is a fine only and the federal couts ruled long ago that in the case where the penalty is fine only they can not jail you for the penalty.That is why you can not workoff trafffic fines by staying in jail anymore. Second I really doubt it is enforceable paractically but they may fine you;you don't pay and they look to collect depending how the law is written. Practically it would be hard to enforce really. Obama said that himself in the debates with Hillary;impossible to enforce.They are going to be tying up alot of federal court time if they do because you have a right to appeal anything that they fine you for.If they think enforcing filing income tax that is nopt compared to this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 08:13 PM

948 posts, read 894,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
soon the liberal elite and feds will start taxing people to breath, unless of course it is them doing the breathing.
They started it with that second hand smoke bull$hit. Just a matter of time....

Old 03-23-2010, 08:14 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,958,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
since the IRS is the enforcement tool for the program , I am willing to concede they will find a way to collect
Yep, that is what I am guessing. They will... foreclose on your home maybe? Put a lean on your checks, etc...

All out of the compassionate and caring reason. With caring like that, who needs a mugger!

Old 03-23-2010, 08:29 PM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
since the IRS is the enforcement tool for the program...
If you don't pay, you get to be Treasury Secretary just like Tax Cheat Timmy!

Old 03-23-2010, 08:39 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,499,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippimagnolia View Post

You don't have to pay income tax. You only pay income tax if you work in this country. That's a choice. If you move into a cabin in the woods and live off the land, you won't pay income tax.

That's not necessarily true - one can work in this country and not pay any income tax:

Old 03-23-2010, 09:04 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,023,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
I don't pay taxes..... Haven't filed in eight years..... Yes it's legal....
That's funny. Wesley Snipes said the exact same thing 2 years ago.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/25/bu.../25snipes.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippimagnolia View Post
You don't have to pay income tax. You only pay income tax if you work in this country.
Don't ever come to California. That might fly for Federal taxes; California will demand money from you simply because you live here. And oh by the way, they'll know you have income because you can't be broke and live here.

Old 03-23-2010, 09:21 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,458,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTheRipper View Post
you've got to be kidding me..

FASCISM AT IT'S FINEST.
Not really.

When you get sick, you'll come crying and begging to be let into the health care system. You'll probably run your whiny ass to the emergency room and demand health care - whether you can afford it or not. If you can't afford it (and you probably can't if you don't have good employer-provided coverage), they still have to take care of you and people like ME get stuck with your huge bill. So you should pay into the system to help keep costs stable and low by allowing insurance to spread the risk of catastrophic care across a larger pool of people over time.

Or, if you don't want to do that, you should only get health care as long as you can pay for it. Once you run out, they should let you die.

Is that better?

Old 03-23-2010, 09:38 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,709,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
what the f are you talking about

when my back got injured. the VA did x-rays over 15 times and said its DDD, deal with it....it was BCBS that the FIRST time I went to them the did a MRI, to find the 3 buldging discs

please dont tell me the VA doesnt have you do uneeded tests
That's your experience, not mine. I've been treated at seven different VA Hospitals and a few Clinics, it's not always great but it is good.

My experience with outside doctors has been one long list of unneccesary tests at facilities owned by the doctors

Old 03-23-2010, 09:40 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,709,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
soon the liberal elite and feds will start taxing people to breath, unless of course it is them doing the breathing.
Stop now and get a jump on them

Old 03-23-2010, 09:57 PM

948 posts, read 894,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
That's funny. Wesley Snipes said the exact same thing 2 years ago.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/25/bu.../25snipes.html

Don't ever come to California. That might fly for Federal taxes; California will demand money from you simply because you live here. And oh by the way, they'll know you have income because you can't be broke and live here.
Yeah but Snipes makes a $hitload more money. They tend to notice the big bucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies