Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 07:16 AM

63 posts, read 136,548 times

Advertisements

Whoa whoa wait a second here. You mean that if someone doesn't have health insurance they are going to be fined? Everyone is going to be forced to have health insurance now? Really? Seems a bit extreme to me - what if they can't afford health insurance? What if they don't *want* health insurance? Is this something that is being signed into law with the new health care bill? I thought it was reforming the way health *care* was being applied, not insured. I thought that health care, and insurance, were two very separate things...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 07:17 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,797,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
that is a misstatement. illegals can and do file tax returns with a tax ID number. The IRS has issued more than 6.8 million of the individual taxpayer identification numbers since 1996. Last year, it gave out almost 1.5 million, about 58 percent more than in 2000.

illegal immigrants like tax refunds too!
It's not a misstatement in terms of the illegals I knew. They did not file. I understand that some do, but that is more in hopes of someday becoming citizens. They want a record of being here. Most of the illegals I worked with did not want to stay in the US forever, they just couldn't find work in their countries.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:22 AM

3,153 posts, read 3,595,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTheRipper View Post
Obama will personally come to your home and set up a podium and teleprompter in your backyard along with a backdrop of brain dead zombies and speech you to death....

Old 03-24-2010, 08:13 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,247,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTheRipper View Post
Yes sir.
jail time.
Do you know they are still looking for you in London?....(:>)-

Last edited by Houston3; 03-24-2010 at 08:55 AM..

Old 03-24-2010, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
What about all of the "non-citizens"? Are illegals exempt from this? How can it be enforced if the govt doesn't know who is here?
To be honest I don't know...

Old 03-24-2010, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
Worrying will make you SICK.
Only if you are weak....

Old 03-24-2010, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
That's funny. Wesley Snipes said the exact same thing 2 years ago.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/25/bu.../25snipes.html

Don't ever come to California. That might fly for Federal taxes; California will demand money from you simply because you live here. And oh by the way, they'll know you have income because you can't be broke and live here.
I took my return to an IRS office and had them look at it and was told that I did not have to file...when I asked if he was sure he went to the back a brought out the regulation and showed it to me and even gave it to me to take home...

""they'll know you have income because you can't be broke and live here""

It's not if you have income with IRS, it's how much income you have...

And if I made what Wesley Snipes does I'd be glad to pay taxes...(:>)

Old 03-24-2010, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Not really.

When you get sick, you'll come crying and begging to be let into the health care system. You'll probably run your whiny ass to the emergency room and demand health care - whether you can afford it or not. If you can't afford it (and you probably can't if you don't have good employer-provided coverage), they still have to take care of you and people like ME get stuck with your huge bill. So you should pay into the system to help keep costs stable and low by allowing insurance to spread the risk of catastrophic care across a larger pool of people over time.

Or, if you don't want to do that, you should only get health care as long as you can pay for it. Once you run out, they should let you die.

Is that better?
Do you feel that same about your paying the health bills for illegals ????

Old 03-24-2010, 08:42 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
I've actually worked with illegals. They actually end up paying more taxes than I did, because I can file for a return - they can't. Also they pay into Social Security and Medicare without receiving those benefits. They actually pay for our social programs. So, I'm not sure what you are talking about.
Wow... the misinformation some posters deliberately spread on this forum is astonishing. The quote above being a case in point.

The facts are in this post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
that is a misstatement. illegals can and do file tax returns with a tax ID number. The IRS has issued more than 6.8 million of the individual taxpayer identification numbers since 1996. Last year, it gave out almost 1.5 million, about 58 percent more than in 2000.

illegal immigrants like tax refunds.
Illegals filing taxes more than ever - Tax Tactics - msnbc.com

Old 03-24-2010, 08:56 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,797,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Wow... the misinformation some posters deliberately spread on this forum is astonishing. The quote above being a case in point.

The facts are in this post:

Illegals filing taxes more than ever - Tax Tactics - msnbc.com
So a Wingnut posts that illegals don't pay taxes.
I say they do, and often don't file because, well, they're here illegally.
So another Wingnut repies that they do pay taxes and file. OK
Then another wingnut reposts that exact same thing.

Which is it? Do they pay taxes????

Yes, of course they do. And as I've stated, may of them do not file returns - meaning they get no refund. I have worked closely with these people. You?

They pay taxes, and in the case of SS and Medicare, they never receive the benefits. They pay for our Medicare and SS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies