Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 01:34 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
So if they aren't going to enforce it except with some special fine, and they can't make you pay the fine, then if you choose not to have insurance, you'll be treated the same as always, and the government will give you a fine to pay but if you choose to ignore the fine, you're okay?
Well, just like when you don't pay your taxes or bills things will happen but only you can decide if you can live with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 01:40 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,470,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTheRipper View Post
We take away your guns and put you into FEMA camps with Glenn Beck.

Also, we put you on Obama's email list (and trust me, you don't want that.)

Old 03-24-2010, 01:45 AM

38,644 posts, read 26,389,506 times
Quote:

You get raped in prison.

Old 03-24-2010, 02:05 AM

1,374 posts, read 1,305,742 times
Quote:
I would not worry about it!!!!!!!!!!!!
The right will fight for you....

Old 03-24-2010, 03:01 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,203,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
We take away your guns and put you into FEMA camps with Glenn Beck.

Also, we put you on Obama's email list (and trust me, you don't want that.)

no, you try and take them away.

Old 03-24-2010, 03:17 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,207,141 times
Depending on your income and/or status you may be exempt from any penalty.
Proposed Changes in the Final Health Care Bill - Interactive Graphic - NYTimes.com

I am not in favor of this bill but I'm even less in favor of the spreading of the more ridiculous claims that aren't based in fact.
There are going to be a lot of people thrilled over the handout they're going to get, need it or not

Then there are the ones that are going to pay for all of that which includes the ones that aren't going to get what they think they're going to get.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:50 AM

418 posts, read 487,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Well, here's what's going to happen. The new bill makes the insurance companies pay out 85% in claims. It's currently 65%. They'll likely raise their rates in January (plan switchover time) right after the November elections to pay for that extra 20% and Obama and Company will call the Big Bad Insurance companies "meanies" without telling you Obamacare is the reason for your rates going through the roof.

In 3 - 5 years there won't be any insurance companies.

So, the Democrats all meekly going along with not having a public option and letting you keep your private insurance is a ruse because they know and I know and you know the insurance industry will collapse and standing there will be Obama and Pelosi (Reid will out of office, whittling wood choo-choo trains), and their ilk, smiling and holding out their big federal government hand to lift you from your woe, save you and draw you to the bosom of totalitarian federal government run single payer insurance. And we will all go meekly because we will have no other choice when it comes to health.

They'll tell you what you can eat, drink, smoke and do AND you'll pay through the nose for it in the form of taxes while your healthcare is turned over to an ineffective/inefficienct over-bloated federal government who will make surgery/illness and life-threatening decisions for you, instead of you and your doctor. Afraid of being shut out from your new entitlement, you'll vote democrat, and so will the newly hired employees in the big new bloated federal government health administration because they'll want to keep their jobs.

Right now your concern is buying private insuranceand paying some tax to get a tan. I say, "Ha" - you ain't seen nothin' yet.
I've seen very few people here who actually understand the big picture or end game. Excellent post.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:07 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,794,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman84 View Post
That's not necessarily true - one can work in this country and not pay any income tax:
I've actually worked with illegals. They actually end up paying more taxes than I did, because I can file for a return - they can't. Also they pay into Social Security and Medicare without receiving those benefits. They actually pay for our social programs. So, I'm not sure what you are talking about.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:11 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,918,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
I've actually worked with illegals. They actually end up paying more taxes than I did, because I can file for a return - they can't. Also they pay into Social Security and Medicare without receiving those benefits. They actually pay for our social programs. So, I'm not sure what you are talking about.
that is a misstatement. illegals can and do file tax returns with a tax ID number. The IRS has issued more than 6.8 million of the individual taxpayer identification numbers since 1996. Last year, it gave out almost 1.5 million, about 58 percent more than in 2000.

illegal immigrants like tax refunds.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:16 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,340,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
The fine is supposed to be capped at $2500. Now, I HAVE insurance and I don't plan on changing to the government insurance...but I predict many healthy people opting to pay the fine in an emergency and then heading to the hospital, paying the fine, and receiving care. Part of the cost estimates have been done under the assumption that if you have 100,000 healthy people sign up for insurance and rarely use it, it will offset the cost of insuring someone with a condition that will need to see a doctor more often. The problem with this theory is that when they throw around statements like "43 million uninsured people" that number does not take into account that there are plenty in that number who CAN afford health insurance but don't want it. I know some of those people and they would rather pay a fine than pay a monthly amount for insurance they won't use. Also, a few of those people are willing to take a chance in getting caught. Supposedly the IRS is going to enforce the rules but as most of us know with the IRS, plenty of people get away without paying taxes every year and are rarely caught. For those willing to gamble, it's probably a good bet they won't get caught either until they get sick and then $2500 seems like a bargain.
I think your prediction is correct. Those who do not want to buy insurance should be able to sign a legally binding opt out agreement that is available to all healthcare providers via a nationwide database. If an adult 'opter' shows up for medical care and can't pay - he/she goes home. Period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies