Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2010, 11:55 AM

1,503 posts, read 1,157,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DraggingCanoe View Post
Suggest reading a few chapters of Military Law and Precedents, volume 1. The author disagrees with your statement. It is in google books. "The court martial is an instrument of executive power to aid the President to maintain discipline in the military and to follow orders". The drill is an authorized representative of the President in the chain of command.
You can't refuse an order from the chain of command unless the action ordered is illegal.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:01 PM

3,047 posts, read 2,827,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinestone View Post
You can't refuse an order from the chain of command unless the action ordered is illegal.

The order would be illegal if Obama is not a natural born citizen. LTC Lakin believes Obama is not a natural born citizen. Lets see what happens in the trial.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:05 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,706,964 times
Quote:
The order would be illegal if Obama is not a natural born citizen. LTC Lakin believes Obama is not a natural born citizen. Lets see what happens in the trial.
No it would not. It might be illegal if the issuing officer were not a citizen, but I'm not even sure anout that. The President has nothing to do nwith this cowards orders.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
No the order you can refuse is an order that violates some US or International law. An order to shoot unarmed civilians is an illegal order. An order from the chain of command to deploy to Afghanistan is not illegal. What's more, it's not an order than can be challenged. You cannot contest the qualifications of your superior officers in the chain of command.

The Court Martial will not even entertain the challenge. Obama's qualifications to be president are not relevant to Larkin missing movement.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
No it would not. It might be illegal if the issuing officer were not a citizen, but I'm not even sure anout that. The President has nothing to do nwith this cowards orders.
The only criteria is that the order came from Larkin's commanding officer. That's as high as the inquiry will go up the chain of command. And the CO doesn't have to be a US citizen. If you're in a NATO unit, the orders of NATO are enforceable.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:19 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,393,503 times
I don't have a birth certificate with a nurse's signature either- it's apparently long gone. But I can get a certificate of birth from the state I was born in. Also, my parents were there when I was born. If they die, does that mean I'm not eligible to be president b/c I don't have a signed birth certificate? Who keeps these things anymore? This guy is going to be in big trouble.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:21 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinestone View Post
The only criteria is that the order came from Larkin's commanding officer. That's as high as the inquiry will go up the chain of command. And the CO doesn't have to be a US citizen. If you're in a NATO unit, the orders of NATO are enforceable.
I can't rep you, so let me just say, that was the certainly a new twist on this exhausted argument and a very accurate one as well.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I can't rep you, so let me just say, that was the certainly a new twist on this exhausted argument and a very accurate one as well.
This is not rocket science. Notice that the military called him back into his CO's office and in front of witnesses his CO repeated the order. When he refused to comply that made it an open and shut case.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:26 PM

26,584 posts, read 14,458,253 times
Quote:
Nonsense. This is inflammatory hyperbole. LTC Lakin is not charged with sedition.
my comment was directed at the poster that was asking for more US military to defy orders. sedition.

if my definition is wrong please let me know.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:38 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times
I think that one indication of how air tight the Army thinks their case is the fact that they didn't charge with behavior unbecoming an officer, which is that catchall for when the military thinks it can't nail an officer for just on general principle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies